Author Topic: That pirate thing  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Are the Pirates still in there?

I always thought of that mission as extremly misplaced, Space Piracy just doesn't fit in the Freespace Universe. They only appear in one ST mission and that one could be removed without harming the (not very good) story.

Even the wiki says that most people (me too) consider pirates as non-canon (and even don't like the idea at all).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
Well I think they are just re-making the missions to make it look better, and not changing any storyline.

You know how they did that to Counter-Strike (1.6), they upgraded it to counter-strike source. Same maps, but better graphics. (Sorry if you don't know what counter-strike is)

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm not a big fan of the pirates in that mission either, but they were actually used reasonably well there, unlike just about everywhere else I've seen them. They wanted to steal anything they could take but had no real planning (they accidentally blew themselves up before the mission, probably because they didn't know what the cargo contained) and a fairly small force with little in the way of advanced tech. I would not have put them in if I had designed the thing, but it's still probably the best use of pirates I've seen in a Freespace mission.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We kept the pirate mission in the campaign.  We only discarded one mission from the original Silent Threat storyline, although we redesigned another two so much that they're only slightly recognizable from the originals.  The rest of the missions are still present in recognizable form, including this one.  It was pretty decent, so we kept it more or less the same, while cleaning up the gameplay.

One thing we tried to do in ST:R is to make sure every mission had a reason for existing.  For this mission, the reason was that the GTA and PVN had just won a major but difficult victory over the Shivans in the system, so there was a power vacuum.  Control of the sector was extremely tenuous, so the time was ideal for a major pirate strike.  A GTI Special Ops squadron was dispatched because of the precariousness of the situation and the sensitivity of the cargo.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is the ion field still there?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
No? Excellent. That was a pain, that field was. Is the entire mission still there?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah, most of it.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Yeah, most of it.
<-- Untranslatable speech --> :nervous:

I find that mission irritating.  :sigh:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Vidmaster

Silent Threat is irritating  :mad:      ...and boring.

ST: REBORN, WE BELIEVE IN YOU!  :yes:
You will make ST what it should have been  :nod:

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Silent Threat is irritating  :mad:      ...and boring.

ST: REBORN, WE BELIEVE IN YOU!  :yes:
You will make ST what it should have been  :nod:

Not to mention that Silent Threat's buggy in certain areas (see my Jotunheim post).
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Vidmaster

Not to mention that Silent Threat's buggy in certain areas (see my Jotunheim post).

make that A lot

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I'm not a big fan of the pirates in that mission either, but they were actually used reasonably well there, unlike just about everywhere else I've seen them. They wanted to steal anything they could take but had no real planning (they accidentally blew themselves up before the mission, probably because they didn't know what the cargo contained) and a fairly small force with little in the way of advanced tech. I would not have put them in if I had designed the thing, but it's still probably the best use of pirates I've seen in a Freespace mission.
Oh, wait, yeah...forgot you think Derelict sucks.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Space Piracy just doesn't fit in the Freespace Universe.

Because of the massive economic and political instability in the GTA after the Great War combined with severe depletion of their military resources AND the appearent ubiquitous availability of various sorts of space craft, why wouldn't there be piracy? 
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Vidmaster

and pirates using state-of-the-art tech? and anyway, which all recourses and industry focused on a long war with the Vasudans, then suddenly almost facing annihilation...                 ...GTA would not tolerate Piracy for long.

Also, keep in mind that we know very little about the game world outside of the military. I guess spacecraft are way to expensive for anybody else but the government and the mega cooperations! It's not like having a car...