Author Topic: Nightly (Windows): 20 Sep 2011 - Revision 7767  (Read 7916 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
Nightly (Windows): 20 Sep 2011 - Revision 7767
Here is the nightly for Windows on 20 Sep 2011 - Revision 7767

Group: Inferno
fso-WIN-Inferno-20110920_r7767.7z
MD5Sum

Group: Inferno_SSE
fso-WIN-Inferno_SSE-20110920_r7767.7z
MD5Sum

Group: Inferno_SSE2
fso-WIN-Inferno_SSE2-20110920_r7767.7z
MD5Sum

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r7763 | The_E | 2011-09-19 10:53:11 -0500 (Mon, 19 Sep 2011) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/ai/aiturret.cpp

Small fix for the logic here

r7764 | The_E | 2011-09-19 13:01:56 -0500 (Mon, 19 Sep 2011) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/ship/ship.cpp

Move this check outside the for loop for better performance

r7766 | IssMneur | 2011-09-19 21:47:39 -0500 (Mon, 19 Sep 2011) | 3 lines
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/weapon/weapons.cpp

- renamed +frequency to +period to reflect what the code actually does (as Valathil pointed out)
- +period: or +index: is no longer required for $substitute: (default is +index: 0)
- removed unnecessary check on +period: (1 is now a valid period)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Nightly (Windows): 20 Sep 2011 - Revision 7767
Does that mean every time +frequency: is used, it now has to be changed to +period: ?
Or was the old parsing retained?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The old parsing was removed. I just checked the log.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yay, now I only have to fix every weapon table entry that uses substitute.

I <3 you guys
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm, was this a fairly recent feature though?  If this had been around a while that probably shouldn't have been done.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
We've had substitute for a pretty good while now.
Thing is, I wouldn't have minded it if there was a heads up about this. Instead I'm greeted by a whole bunch of error messages on start up with the latest nightly
Some communication between the coders and modders should at least be possible... right?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline CaptJosh

I personally would think it should be possible. OTOH, they could put a huge announcement up that "Hey, we're changing this feature and removing the old way of parsing things" and still have some folks go, "When did that happen?" a few weeks later because they ignored it.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its a risk you run when you use cutting edge features in your mod. so long as its a feature that has not been in an official build, it is subject to change. that said its only a string replace operation in your text editor to fix your mods.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The change log contains the following line:
Code: [Select]
- renamed +frequency to +period to reflect what the code actually does (as Valathil pointed out)

Nowhere do I say that I retained compatibility. 

If there is a mod that is released that is using with $substitute: I can put the compatibility parsing in.  If someone whines loud enough I may put it back as well, but fundamentally, the problem is, if I leave the +frequency: parsing in then we may subtly break a mod sometime in the future because someone adds an actual +frequency: option. So instead I went with the nosily break it now so it is cannot become an issue in the future.

Of course, you could also just blame Valathil.  :drevil: Until he pointed out that +frequency was actually a +period, it hadn't even crossed my mind that I had the wrong noun.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Echelon9

It's an unfortunate table change to fix up, but Iss Mneur is right.

For features that are added in nightlies in-between official releases every new feature should be considered subject to change and revision. I don't think the SCP has said anywhere that we retain non-depreciation of features between releases.

Once it's in a final release though I'm sure we'd be more hesitant to make these sort of changes.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Again, I don't think that a simple thread with "Heads up for mods using *feature name*, we're likely going to change *this* and *that* in the nearby future. You have here by been informed" is too much too ask. I'm not asking for retained compatibility or anything, as things like these are just changes in the table, its not a huge deal. And I'm duly aware that features in nightlies are not final. It's just the lack of communication between the coders and modders that irks me at times.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:29:03 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed.
I noticed that modders found quite a few interesting things out only because somebody (usually I :)) was curious about the changelog in the latest nightly.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't want to seem like I'm picking sides here... but the changelog has always been enough notice for me. I read it every time I download a new nightly. I'm somewhat of the opinion that the changelog is communication enough. Maybe add a bold/colorized warning in the nightly post.. but that would then just be there for someone who doesn't read the changelog.

All in all, I'm trying to respectfully say, that reading the changelog should be plenty of communication about these matters.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I don't want to seem like I'm picking sides here... but the changelog has always been enough notice for me. I read it every time I download a new nightly. I'm somewhat of the opinion that the changelog is communication enough. Maybe add a bold/colorized warning in the nightly post.. but that would then just be there for someone who doesn't read the changelog.

All in all, I'm trying to respectfully say, that reading the changelog should be plenty of communication about these matters.

Well, unless I'm missing something, the only place to get the complete changelog would be checking the svn logs unless you want to check every single nightly thread. It's not very convenient if you're just a modder who doesn't care about the internals of the engine and doesn't want to sift through dozens of log entries per week to see if there's something in there you should take note of.

It would be very handy if there was a separate log/thread/whatever which would contain a list of all changes which modders need to know about (that is, those which break compatibility in some way, such as the +frequency->+period change). Could be as simple as links to the relevant svn revisions.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its really hard to get informed about most features because coders can implement em faster than modders can learn how to use em. i was on top of almost every feature in the game till about 2006 when there were just too many of them to keep track of (part of that was due to scripting, and while i was learning lua a bunch of other features came into being that had completely alluded me). modding at the cutting edge has its drawbacks though, your constantly changing things as the features mature. you can easily loose modding time to this kinda stuff. its just part of being on the bleeding edge. these days i find a new surprise almost every time i look at the wiki.

thats why i have a ton of scripts that just dont work anymore, as wmc was still hammering out a consistent paradigm for the system, i was scripting to see what it could do, so when things were drastically altered i figured it was for the better good, and patched what code i could and rewrote the rest, and some work was lost, but im sure my feedback at the time was valuable. so theres nothing wrong with modding on the bleeding edge, its how most of the testing is done. you may loose some work every now and then but when you think about it both engine and mods gain from this kind of stuff.

I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually, that's exactly what I do. I got in the habit of reading the changelog every time a new nightly is posted. I do this even if I don't download the nightly. Really, there's not that many nightly releases that should make it difficult. Just start now and keep it up. Make it part of your forum reading routine.

I will concede that the changelog often doesn't contain enough information about some things. But that's easily changed by simply asking any commits to try and be a little more clear. I have seen some that say things like "This breaks parsing, reverting" which leave my wondering what is "this".

But I don't need the coders need to be responsible for yet another thread and sifting through which changes are important enough to go in it. I'd rather the coders spend their time coding. Besides, I know there are some coders that forget to even put their features on the Wiki. Should they add another spot for them to remember to change?

In the end, it's not my decision anyway.

EDIT: Actually reading over the thread again.. it seems people were originally upset about the change that was made and it got turned into a discussion about communication. I can't help but notice that the issue was discovered because of a "communication" thread... To me, it really seems like this can be a civil discussion about keeping the old parsing or not rather than this generic discussion about communication between coders and modders.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There's also the online log, so you have a place to catch up on all the commits you want between nightlies instead of having to read each thread.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
There's also the online log, so you have a place to catch up on all the commits you want between nightlies instead of having to read each thread.

This web page is not available
The web page at https://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open/?date=all&view=query might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 15 (net::ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED): Unknown error.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft

This web page is not available
The web page at https://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open/?date=all&view=query might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 15 (net::ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED): Unknown error.

I can access it fine. Maybe it's a problem on your end.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy