Author Topic: My Computer doesn't wake up from sleep, needs force shut down. Help Please.  (Read 16473 times)

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
My Computer doesn't wake up from sleep, needs force shut down. Help Please.
I am having an issue where my computer doesn't wake up when I put it into sleep mode. I have Googled all over, and have tried a few things and have come to the conclusion that I can't figure it out. Here it goes:

My computer shut down unexpectedly because of an unrelated issue (fixed now) and windows displayed the screen "Windows shut down unexpectedly start windows normally start in safe mode bla bla bla." My keyboard did not work, I pressed enter to select start windows normally and arrow keys but nothing happend. So being the stupid person that I am I updated my BIOS thinking that it might make the keyboard work, and it was an old version anyway. (I didn't think at the time that an UPDATE would actually BREAK it  :banghead:).

So now my computer doesn't wake up and I have to force shut down and restart it to get it going. The first thing I tried to do is to reflash my BIOS to the older version but it gives me the error "BIOS ID check error." Also no help from Googleing. So I gave up on that and focused on tweaking my power options according to some forums. I changed the sleep mode from "S3" to "S1" whatever those mean and now the computer goes to sleep, but the fans stay on. BUT with the computer in "S1" I am able to press space and it WAKES UP NORMALLY. Problem is it isn't a real sleep mode, fans are on and it boots up very much quicker than before and I get the feeling that all it did was turn off the monitor.

My video drivers are up to date and everything else is normal. BIOS is the most recent version, I haven't managed to reverse the update that I applied, but the fact that it wakes up from "S1" gives me hope that I can fix this issue without having to mess with the BIOS versions.

Here is my information:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard (BIOS Version: rev 2.0 FG1 (Beta BIOS))
Intel i7 960 Processor
EVGA GTX 560 Ti Video Card
12 GB DDR3 RAM (Corsair)(3 X 4GB)
Cooler Master 700W Power Supply
Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I think that is more than what you need, but I don't know what information helps you...

Thank you in advance  :)

Oh and I don't want to hear anybody suggest things along the lines of "don't sleep it then." I want a solution to this, Thanks!
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Re: My Computer doesn't wake up from sleep, needs force shut down. Help Please.
Oh and I don't want to hear anybody suggest things along the lines of "don't sleep it then." I want a solution to this, Thanks!
I had a problem similar to this - when mine went to sleep, it would not wake up - and that's exactly how I "fixed" it.
Sorry, I'm not going to be any help.

Offline Davros

anything in event log

have you tried system restore

ps: what was your unrelated issue

found this
Disconnect any and all unnecessary devices from your PC. Pare it down to the absolute minimum : unplug anything you can disconnect, turn off and unplug the computer from the mains for a few minutes, then reboot.
Look in your BIOS for the suspend ACPI options and try to switch modes among "S1 and S3", "S3" etc.
Ensure "Allow this device to wake computer" is checked in in "Device Manager/$device$/ Properties/Power Management", where $device$ stands for keyboard and mouse.
Turn off Hybrid sleep,
The hibernation file is sometimes disabled by disk cleaning, to restore do in cmd run as administrator "powercfg -h on".

You can use the following command to troubleshoot sleep problems and return a detailed report:

powercfg -ENERGY
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:12:01 pm by Davros »

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
anything in event log

-No

have you tried system restore

-For a BIOS update? Isn't system restore only for Windows changes?

ps: what was your unrelated issue

-Faulty Power Supply gave out every so often and caused the computer to shut down. The computer gave me that error, but my keyboard didn't control anything on the screen or in the BIOS. (Reason behind trying to update the BIOS).

found this
Disconnect any and all unnecessary devices from your PC. Pare it down to the absolute minimum : unplug anything you can disconnect, turn off and unplug the computer from the mains for a few minutes, then reboot.
Look in your BIOS for the suspend ACPI options and try to switch modes among "S1 and S3", "S3" etc.

-Changing the system from "S3" to "S1" caused the computer to go to sleep and wake up. There is no "S2" option.

Ensure "Allow this device to wake computer" is checked in in "Device Manager/$device$/ Properties/Power Management", where $device$ stands for keyboard and mouse.

-Done

Turn off Hybrid sleep,

-Off

The hibernation file is sometimes disabled by disk cleaning, to restore do in cmd run as administrator "powercfg -h on".

-Ran command

You can use the following command to troubleshoot sleep problems and return a detailed report:

powercfg -ENERGY

-The report is attached

BTW I ran the report while I put the computer to sleep in "S1" mode, if I do the same in "S3" and the computer shuts down and doesn't wake... Will it still give me a report when windows restarts?

[attachment deleted by ninja]
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline Davros

I think you just run the report, not run it and put the pc to sleep

can you try sleep when the hub is disconected
oh and remove the keyboard before putting it to sleep

"-For a BIOS update? Isn't system restore only for Windows changes?"
A file may have been corupted during his crash system restore may fix it

ps: do a disk scan (found this)

It appears to have been the new hard drive keeping the system from "waking up".

After I replaced the old drive and it worked perfectly, I called Seagate.
 However, they had no clue as to what could be wrong. They did agree to warranty it.

Before returning it I tried another test. I ran SpinRite and it showed massive seek errors - over 150,000 within 50% of the drive. The errors were constant and not in just one spot. I must be a mechanical issue because the data was fine.

Somehow that stopped it from powering up on the Wakeup and nothing happened.

Apparently, the wake up process doesn't tolerate seek errors.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:15:36 pm by Davros »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I hate the arbitrary term "sleep mode". There's either "suspend to ram" (aka hibernate) or "suspend to disk" (aka sleep mode). I always use suspend to ram since you can have your computer back up in about 4 seconds. Suspend to disk is pretty useless since i found it takes longer to wait for than waiting for your computer to boot up. Windows 7 boots in about 30 seconds, and i use linux that boots up in 20 seconds; my point is that modern day operating systems are sort of awesome in this respect of boot time. This, and many programs today let you resume where you last left off in the event of a crash or shutting down normally.

I assume suspend to disk is in use since disk errors kept the computer from having a working "sleep mode". My whole two cents is, stop using suspend to disk and save yourself some time by normal shutdown or use of suspend to ram.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I hate the arbitrary term "sleep mode". There's either "suspend to ram" (aka hibernate) or "suspend to disk" (aka sleep mode).
Based on what I've read, in XP, the "Hibernate" option is actually "suspend to disk," with "Stand By" being "Suspend to RAM."  I don't know if the terminology is different for Vista/7, though.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Wooops, i got that backwards  :D Thank you for pointing the mismatch. The terminology i don't know if it is different for vista and 7. I can find out tomorrow though and report back with my findings since my room mates have a vista and 7 computers.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Windows 7 and Vista use the same terminology in that regard, Hibernate is suspend to disk and Standby is suspend to RAM.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I thought Mongoose was going after what the terminology of what kind of suspend sleep mode usually is under vista and 7.

SMBFD