Author Topic: No Sun option  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Maybe it would be possible to remove the necessity to have a star in mission. I always think it looks silly when you're in a nebula caused by an exploding star billions of years ago and there's still a star shining away in the system.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
em... aren't stars born in nebulas? or was that something esle?
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
supernovae leave neutron stars (usually)
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Originally posted by PhReAk

I didn't know that. Oh well, learn something new every day :D But how about for missions that take place in a void of nothingness. The example I can think of now is in Dante's Ascension.

Offline Redfang

Agreed, though it could be a little too dark in a mission where there isn't a star. :)

And supernovae can leave black holes too, and they can't be seen anyway.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Redfang
Agreed, though it could be a little too dark in a mission where there isn't a star. :)

Well, for nebula missions a general lighting could be used, or the nebula itself could actually glow (though I suspect that would slow the game down a bit)
Especially if the Bobbau gets the lighting code working...mmmm, glowing Shivan ships ;7
-C

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Originally posted by PhReAk

Yes, but they're not that big! You still see the orange giant that's omnipresent in every mission! :D
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Okay, here's the idea: in nebula missions, there should be ambient lighting instead of a sun, by default. The mission designer should be able to put a sun in if he wants, however.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
can't you just make a really small star, or make your own star picture that looks like nothing?

Offline Reaper

• Swarmer
    • http://www.winissimo.net/ww3/
Originally posted by YodaSean
can't you just make a really small star, or make your own star picture that looks like nothing?

It's possible to make sun really small... In double size of a star you see... Not big, but it still shines as it was near... :)... I use that for my Deep Space Station in SS
There is full moon shining on the sky... It's midnight... I'm rising from my grave... I have my scythe and i'm thirsty for blood... I'm ready, i'm ready to steal souls and feed on them... I'm ready to kill
World War III: Wasteland Earth

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Redfang

Um. No.

Gravitational collapse and supernova are mutually exclusive alternate events in a star's lifetime.

A supernova is a the violent shedding of a signifigant amount of a steller mass--and with it, the warping of local space-time it engenders. Post supernova, the star has enough mass to remain metastable for a while, as either a neutron star, white/red/brown dwarf, pulsar/quasar, etc.

A collapsar, such as a black hole, is pretty much the opposite. The warping of space-time around the star is such that a supernova could not occur. The star is too massive and cannot muster the explosive power to shed its outer layers. As the particles in the stellar body fuse into heavier and heavier (on the periodic table, not weight) elements, the star begins to lose the outward pressure that keeps it from collapsing. Since heavier elements fuse with signifigantly less energy with each step up the ladder they go, culminating at the iron limit, the star collapses in on itself to form a singularity.

Black holes are very unlikely to be found in nebulae outside of very dense stellar clusters, such as the center of a galaxy. In a nebula like the ones in Freespace, you're likely to find baby stars, in ones or twos.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline r0nin

• http://mywebpages.comcast.net/r0nin/
Gravitational collapse and supernova are mutually exclusive alternate events in a star's lifetime.

Huh?  I don't know where you get your information, but you are wrong about this.  In fact, a common result of a supernova is a black hole, and one of the first places that astronomers went looking for them was in nebulae.

Modern black hole theory estimates that any star more than three times the mass of our sun (the Chandrashekar limit) will still likely retain enough mass after supernova (which sheds only the outer layers of the star) to collapse into a singularity.  It's not the total amount of mass that causes the collapse (otherwise, most stars wouldn't exist in the first place), but the fact that the star no longer produces enough of a fusion reaction to withstand the already-present pull of gravity.  It is during this rapid gravitational collapse that the outer layers of the star are sloughed off in explosive fashion (that's the supernova) leaving whatever remains to stabilize into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole...
"Have code, will travail..."
Member of the Robotech FS2 Mod.
http://www.robotechlan.com/freespace2/

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
r0nin! You sly devil! What are you doinmg here:D:p?
Anyways, you're correcty, but, here's an interesting fact:
Some scientists have theorized that there may be donut-shaped black holes. If this were true, we might be living in a 5D universe.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
and this morning I ate an apple.
what about staying on topic pals?
That request, for me, brings another one I keep asking: the damn self illumination entry in the ships.tbl to be enabled for D3D. The first step for really cool environment lightning.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Lightning??? Only have one word for you dudes: STARLANCER!!!! :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
BTw, what happens if you replace the white sun pcx with a straight black image (like the reduce ambient thing, with positive lighting)?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
her... you don't see the sun's image, that's all. What are you expecting?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Perhaps that the sun glow wouldn't register either - getting rid of that glow is one of the big tricks that I'd like to see happen... although there are more important things...

Offline Fry_Day

Do you mean the glow, as in the semi-transparent glow like engine glows, or the flare that blinds your when you look at the sun directly?
For the blinding thing, I believe it's only commenting a few lines of code, from what I've seen of the source code

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Fry_Day
Do you mean the glow, as in the semi-transparent glow like engine glows, or the flare that blinds your when you look at the sun directly?
For the blinding thing, I believe it's only commenting a few lines of code, from what I've seen of the source code

no, having a non-visible source of ambient light - i.e. the same as having a sun, but without the sun r the resulting lens flare.

Actually, lens flare effects could be quite neat for very gright objetcs.