Author Topic: The Plan™ (AKA: Our Future)  (Read 27144 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: The Plan™ (AKA: Our Future)
Hey, wait a sec... whaddya think you're doing, Kal?!? You can't just take over like this! We need to discuss it among the administration endlessly, finally arriving at a point where there's no change in sight, and then forget about the whole thing! You can't just go ahead and... and... take action!!

I sure hope all y'all's sarcasm detectors are working properly...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Oh crap, what was I thinking. You're right!

We must talk about this for months, months! and draw up... tables... and charts... :p

Offline Shade

If you're gonna be PM, you need to learn to talk like one:

We're looking to focus and improve HLP. In time, we'll be looking for your input. Whether you're a modder, a campaign creator, a fan of FreeSpace or just John Doe - here for the community... we'll be wanting to hear what you want from this place.
What kind of PM-talk is that? It's nonsense! Here's the proper format:

Your opinions, our future. A new beginning. Improvements - Modders, campaign creators, Freespace fans - All for the community... you will be heard.
See, that's not so hard, right? :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I didn't say "major members", I said "staff".

But I'm intrigued now. Several people have said "that doesn't sound like much" so I'm going to go ahead and ask you a question.

What were you expecting? :)

And please don't answer with "I dunno... just... more". That's a waste of time. It sounds like you guys thought I was going to announce something epic and who knows, maybe we could work towards that. But you'll have to be a bit more forthcoming with what you were expecting.

The title "the plan (aka: our future)" implies some kind of major change. (saying that you have a plan usually  means more than seeing who's still here.)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It does involve more than seeing who's here, but as I've said earlier in this thread - I'm not going to start divulging this stuff because it'll inevitably lead to more questions and slow everything down that much more.

The best way to think of it is this: What I'm doing now is a work in progress. It is not finished and it has not all been revealed. And I won't be revealing more until I'm ready to.

Till then, you'll have to cope :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Karajorma will be an Admin.

I don't think he'd want to be one. He's got too many projects as it is, and many of them are getting neglected for the time being (MG, etc.). I don't think he needs more on his plate.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
< PlanTM >

This gives me a vague twinge of foreboding... IDK why. I'm kind of hoping it was the wording and not the message.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
The Plan™ has been around since VBB days. It's just now coming to fruition. :drevil:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I don't think he'd want to be one. He's got too many projects as it is, and many of them are getting neglected for the time being (MG, etc.). I don't think he needs more on his plate.

Well he is active and always ready to help people. Many members have projects to work on, and many projects suffer a terrible lack of personnel.

But Inferno, for example, is back. There are so many active members....
We don't know if projects like MG will remain in the darkness forever. Just look at SWC, for example.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, and look at my kickass badge!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I can't believe we got our badges back.

It's like....

It's like somebody is ALIVE UP HERE!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, well, I thought it was about time. Besides, Fury kept on bugging me. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Besides, Fury kept on bugging me. ;)
I did? :wtf:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Indeed. The badges have always been part of that other, upcoming change which you've been bugging me about. :)

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Just want to say that I think that HLP is the best forum on the net so whatever you want to do go ahead and do it........
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I also appreciate the reintroduction of badges.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That's not enough. We want Avatars as well! :P

Just want to say that I think that HLP is the best forum on the net so whatever you want to do go ahead and do it........

Without a doubt. I found many kids-populated forums. One of them in mentioned in my sig.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Could it be that the number of topics shown on each page has been reduced? I prefer the long list for our project so that I can see all the new post at once without changeing pages and search for them.

Can the number of topic one can see be changed back. I prefere scrolling the pages over flipping them ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Could it be that the number of topics shown on each page has been reduced? I prefer the long list for our project so that I can see all the new post at once without changeing pages and search for them.

Can the number of topic one can see be changed back. I prefere scrolling the pages over flipping them ^_^

Just a FYI. I noticed our "Most Online Today" stats have been steadily way over 100 (closing to 150 actually) every day since BtRL release, so I've toned down how many topics and posts are displayed per page back to their SMF defaults. This will significantly shorten time required to execute the sql queries to show one page of topics or posts. One query alone won't make much difference, but when there can be potentially a hundred queries executed about same time, it does make a difference.

Our previous values especially for topics per page was a bit of overkill anyway. While most forums have it somewhere 15-30, ours was 50. Posts per page was more reasonable at 25, but still quite high compared to most. If people aren't happy with default values, we can increase these values bit at a time until majority are happy but without going overboard.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon