Author Topic: PCS2 Test Builds  (Read 76954 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ctrl+rightmouse is for moving things in the y direction, but I'm not sure what you mean by "a large amount" shift zooming is prety fast, it's a ****-ton faster than hitting the zoom button at least. and honestly, when was the last time you actually used those predetermined orientations, if I was to do anything remotely like that I'd have a dialog were you could type in angles explicitly.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
just updated fixing movement of submodels, sence I origonaly implemented that the render method was changed, and they were not getting updated enough, and you wouldn't be able to see them relitive to there parents.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Water

just updated fixing movement of submodels, sence I origonaly implemented that the render method was changed, and they were not getting updated enough, and you wouldn't be able to see them relitive to there parents.
That explains why I didn't spot ctrl+rightmouse's function.
On the zoom thing, just tried the mvp sath and it worked fine. It seems that if the first view of the model is wrong then the zoom doesn't work fast enough. Looks like two of the pofs I'm using are not set up right.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the zoom is progressive, the closer you are the slower it moves.

and that bug only effected submodels.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, I just uploaded tonight's last build, I improved the movement of omnipoints in the 3d window, double click on somehting to select it, hold down ctrl to move it, left button moves it along the XZ plane right button moves it along the Y axis.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Water

ok, I just uploaded tonight's last build, I improved the movement of omnipoints in the 3d window, double click on somehting to select it, hold down ctrl to move it, left button moves it along the XZ plane right button moves it along the Y axis.
Paths look good
Is a Ctrl Z possible - Find I'm accidentally moving stuff with the ctrl
In preferences - the ambient and diffuse colour are not saved on exit.
Is it possible to have a selected and non selected omnipoint colours in preferences?
Double click to select does not update the left hand tree
If a thruster omni is partly buried in geometry (about a quarter) then selecting it from the front up to 45 degrees didn't work. Selecting it from behind or side was ok.
Textures work fine for mvp models with path set.
Not working for model with textures set to a mod root and mod map dir and also with textures in directory with the pof .
If the mod uses vp's for textures then everything works as expected.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
the observer in that image should be considerd to be looking in the negative Z direction.

let's place the observer inside a fighter in that coordinate space - the observer is the pilot

+X is right
+Y is up
+Z is forward
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Not working for model with textures set to a mod root and mod map dir and also with textures in directory with the pof .

as posted three or four times

foreach <path> in <texturepaths>
search <path>\<texturename>.<(ext list)>
search <path>\data\maps\<texturename>.<(ext list)>
search <path>\VPs .. VP folder data\maps for <texturename>.<(ext list)>

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
my most recent builds allow for relative paths to be set, all I did was set the working directory to the directory were the model was loaded from, so just entering .\ will load from the directory the model was loaded from, ..\maps should load from the maps location (...\ should also load from the maps directory IIRC). of course it only seems to load from the root location.

we are considering an undo buffer.
ambient and diffuse should be getting saved, are your texture paths getting saved?

I already plan on having a color selection dialog for rendering colors.

it's posable you were selecting another point you didn't see, the ray picker will select the closest point that is within it's rendered radius (paths use log of there radius, cause some of them are huge).

the observer in that image should be considerd to be looking in the negative Z direction.

let's place the observer inside a fighter in that coordinate space - the observer is the pilot

+X is right
+Y is up
+Z is forward

ok, so the observer is in the cockpit of the fighter, looking towards the front of the ship sitting upright.
in this case the orientation of the ship relative to the observer should be like how I have attached, it's zoomed back so you can see the rest of the ship. as you can see a positive x is on the left, not right. this is because OGL's coordinate system has Z coming out of the screen (toward the viewer), but our model is constructed with positive Z pointing toward the front of the ship (away from the viewer if they are in the ship). because we have set positive z to be forward in model space, positive X must be to the left in model space. but, just look at the picture, it's on the left hand side of the ship.
ok, I want someone else's opinion on this, am I crazy here or it the sphere in the picture not on the left side of the ship when it has a positive x position.

all of this is moot of course, as working with Z pointing backward would be just as inconvenient for me as x pointing to the left, and I've already done a ton of work trying to get the ray picker working in the backwardly system, so I'm not going to advocate me having to re-write all that code just as I get it working. I guess I just want it acknowledged as being the way it is.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:04:59 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Water

my most recent builds allow for relative paths to be set, all I did was set the working directory to the directory were the model was loaded from, so just entering .\ will load from the directory the model was loaded from, ..\maps should load from the maps location (...\ should also load from the maps directory IIRC). of course it only seems to load from the root location.

we are considering an undo buffer.
ambient and diffuse should be getting saved, are your texture paths getting saved?

it's posable you were selecting another point you didn't see, the ray picker will select the closest point that is within it's rendered radius (paths use log of there radius, cause some of them are huge).

Heh. I don't think it has a problem with saving settings. It does have a problem with where it saves it. Just did a search for pcs2.ini - I've only got 12 at the moment   :rolleyes:  I know that system was chosen due to texture path load time, but starting pcs2 in one directory and ending up in another directory will cause confusion.

How much work is it for pcs2 to be able to load a pof using "open with" from explorer? It will help in replacing modelview as the default pof program

Thanks - the .\ path works well  ;)

For selecting the omnipoint - none were huge, and no other omnipoints were behind it. Not sure why being partly buried in the mesh would affect it, as the sphere midpoint was definitely outside the mesh.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
CWDing may (And probably will) cause problems when saving pcs2.ini

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
@Water:it shouldn't effect it at all considering the only thing being looked at is the position and radius of omnipoints, are you sure no other point got selected? I've had that happen a few times.

I just uploaded a new build with a color options dialog, you can specify all colors for all states of all relivent editors.

@Kaz:were is the relivent code for saveing the ini? I thought it was given a file handle of some sort.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:08:47 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
just uploaded a version that you should be able to associate POF files to, it also has a new icon, I wasn't very inspired, but it needed something, if someone can come up with something better I'll be willing to consider it (the same goes for tree node icons).

[edit]just uploaded a new build I think I got config saving fixed, it was really bad with the file association stuff[/edit]

I seem to be more than half the posts in this thread, are people just that uninterested? I find that hard to believe, it's getting to the point were this thing is getting more powerful that any pof editor we ever could have dreamed of a few years ago, but yet no one posts... I remember when I'd post something a while ago, and there'd be three or four responses before I could refresh the page, but the interest seems to be gone now... well at least that means it was nothing personal with proximus, I guess the FS modding scene is actually dieing after all these years...

maybe we should consider infinity suport or some other games...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 11:32:42 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
y'know, maybe it's time I let this sit for a while, I've been neglecting BWO for far too many months now.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Water

@Water:it shouldn't effect it at all considering the only thing being looked at is the position and radius of omnipoints, are you sure no other point got selected? I've had that happen a few times.
I just uploaded a new build with a color options dialog, you can specify all colors for all states of all relivent editors.
Now that the  tree updates on the left when you double click an omni, the problem seems to have gone. With the amount of colour options you have provided I won't be able to complain about choice.
just uploaded a version that you should be able to associate POF files to, it also has a new icon, I wasn't very inspired, but it needed something, if someone can come up with something better I'll be willing to consider it (the same goes for tree node icons).
[edit]just uploaded a new build I think I got config saving fixed, it was really bad with the file association stuff[/edit]
Woot!! Thanks - Now set as default pof viewer

I seem to be more than half the posts in this thread, are people just that uninterested? I find that hard to believe, it's getting to the point were this thing is getting more powerful that any pof editor we ever could have dreamed of a few years ago, but yet no one posts... I remember when I'd post something a while ago, and there'd be three or four responses before I could refresh the page, but the interest seems to be gone now... well at least that means it was nothing personal with proximus, I guess the FS modding scene is actually dieing after all these years...
Well Proximus was never going to have a large volume of users outside the graphics area, but PCS2... should.
Sounds like you're in the middle of an coding/(art) crash - where you do magic for a period of time and then you hit rock bottom for a week or two before picking yourself up again.

One more request - is it possible to get a temporary build that can generate a log file related to texture loading? I'd like to find out why/where my texture loading problem is. I used Maja to drop a .vp with all textures in a mod root just to get textures to show.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what exactly do you want this log to show?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Just an inactive time of year I think - I only finished my uni exams in the past hour, so now I'll really be able to test this more thoroughly at last. :D

I'm going to post something over on game warden to try and snag some BTRL fans to help test BTW. I've checked with Karajorma, and I think we should get at least a couple from there (might even make some new modders too).

Couple of other things:
- The open from explorer thing works perfectly - I've switched over now as well. :)
- The colours selection panel seems to also work perfectly - though I've not yet gone through everything.
- I hadn't noticed the subobject translation (I don't think you actually mentioned that it worked for subobjects btw - only the editing points. ;) ), but that's awesome!
Two little things about it though:
1) Might it be possible to have the selected subobject highlighted in some way? A toggleable bounding box or radius or something? There's currently no way to tell what object you have selected (clicking or ctrl-clicking doesn't help) until you irreversably wave it around a bit.
2) Will the abilities to rotate and maybe even scale stuff be coming in as well?
3) For all this movement ability, it really needs some co-ordinate/orientation/scale manual data entry fields to allow for precision work. Would that be possible?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The fact that PCS2 works on my PC at work, but not on my home PC is somewhat hindering my testing capabilities.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"I don't think you actually mentioned that it worked for subobjects btw - only the editing points."

well technically it is still the editing points, I have the omnipoint code hooked up to the submodel offset, and I tell the omnipoints not to draw themselves.
and yeah I keep forgetting to put the offset editor in, it'll be a matter of a few minutes, if you had come in a few hours ago I'd have jumped right on it, but I got to sleep now.
now as for rotation, unfortunately the POF file structure does not natively support orientation, and sence the PMF file structure was losely based upon the POF file it doesn't either, it's going to be a while for that cause we will need to modify both file formats (or at lease the PMF) in addition to the coding of the rotation stuff. now scaleing is doable in the measured-in-weeks future.

I'm thinking about having a wire frame overlay on the selected object, that's how I did it in Aurora, and it worked well.

and Col., how does it fail? and why don't you...
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Actually, a couple of additional things:
4) Are there plans to get alpha maps/glow maps/shine maps/env maps working?
5) Could I just make a request that we be able to change the resolution textures are displayed at? Currently it looks approximately 256 size. :\

And ok - that's cool. Just the ability to shift stuff around like this is lightyears ahead of everything previous. :D

Edit: Never mind about #5 - I see Bobs reported it in Mantis. :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 04:53:46 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities