Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 579061 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, the nose is too wide, as are the vertical side missile pod things. While they do fall  in-between the meter squares, they are really only one meter wide.

Other than that, it's cute! :) Sorry I haven't been by lately - work/newborn stuff to deal with. I hope to devote done time this weekend.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh wow, so you weren't joking with that labor comment the other day.  Congrats. :D

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
K, so a whim struck me as I was consuming a desert for sand, and I eventually found myself at around (-4500, y, 600), aka the farthest from origin I've ever been. No screenies, which is unfortunate, since I found some pretty interesting things.... ok maybe interesting to some people.

Anomalies started showing up at around 3 kilcks from origin- I found a village, or part of one. Sea level was uneven near the town, and a good portion of it was cleanly sliced out of existence between the borders of an ocean chunk. "Chunk slicing", as I shall now call the phenomenon, happened with remarkable frequency from that point forward. The most spectacular example I passed was a full-on mountain bisected by a chunk boundary, exposing a sizeable cave system, as the ocean kindly obliged the cave and stayed within its chunk limits.

Normally, I wouldn't bother, but I figure this info might be useful for one of the OPs, or for anybody who "upgraded" a world to 1.8.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Say qaz, how is your GPU situation looking?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Worse each day :D
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Hmms I was told that you have a bukkit plugin that deloads any chunks that don't have players near them. And from what I've seen there has to be something like that in place. For example, when I was making my rail connection I left some cobble on the ground, then went back to the spawn. In single player, that cobble would disappear after 5 minutes. However half an hour later when I came back it was still there, suggesting it had been saved in that force unloaded chunk before it could disappear.

Also I went and checked out trashmans place in the middle of the day, and there was mobs everywhere, burning. Those mobs had to have been saved in the force unloaded chunks, else they would have died as soon as the sun came up, not in the middle of the day.

I've been playing single player for several months now and havn't seen this behaviour before.

EDIT: Read the wiki, and it says in SMP the amount of chunks that load around the player is configurable.
Now a mob will instantly despawn if the player gets over 128 blocks from it. So, if we want mobs to despawn, you would need to set the chunk radius such that the amount of blocks around the player is greater than 128 in every direction. 128/16 = 8 chunks, so the radius needs to be at least that. The default radius is 10 chunks, so that works nicely.

However, I'm guessing warping would interfere with this, and may be the cause of our problem, since when you warp the chunks that you were in would instantly go inactive, possibly before the mobs in it have a chance to despawn.

Not really sure how you could fix that besides disabling warping. But we do have a nice rail system in place so it wouldn't be that big a loss.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:06:30 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
K, so a whim struck me as I was consuming a desert for sand, and I eventually found myself at around (-4500, y, 600), aka the farthest from origin I've ever been. No screenies, which is unfortunate, since I found some pretty interesting things.... ok maybe interesting to some people.

Anomalies started showing up at around 3 kilcks from origin- I found a village, or part of one. Sea level was uneven near the town, and a good portion of it was cleanly sliced out of existence between the borders of an ocean chunk. "Chunk slicing", as I shall now call the phenomenon, happened with remarkable frequency from that point forward. The most spectacular example I passed was a full-on mountain bisected by a chunk boundary, exposing a sizeable cave system, as the ocean kindly obliged the cave and stayed within its chunk limits.

Normally, I wouldn't bother, but I figure this info might be useful for one of the OPs, or for anybody who "upgraded" a world to 1.8.
Something like that happened on the server pre-1.8, too. There's a perfectly rectangular slit trench in water beside my castle. I guess playing on mulitplayer is just buggy.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
its called "differences between world generators between versions". one remedy is using MCEdit or the likes on such areas to smooth out the transitions.

the problem is that it takes a ****ing while to actually smooth out ****.

qazwsx, how much luck did you have with using worldedit to fix **** like that?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
qazwsx, how much luck did you have with using worldedit to fix **** like that?
It's usually reatively quick to get sorted, the main issue is the water level being one higher in 1.8. That, and if people have already begun building near the chunk discontinuitys. Otherwise I'll just mindlessly spam the smooth brush until it looks alright.

The server is set to load chunks in a radius of 7 around people, I'll try doing a server-wide butcher command and see if that kills off the mobs in unloaded chunks.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
In-game, the nose looks too fat by one block on either side.  Checking with the blueprints confirms, it should only be three blocks wide at that part of the craft, not five.
As it is now it's four blocks wide, not five.

Actually, you're right.  It's not five, it's six.

Although I might want to rephrase my original statement.  I was calling the entire middle section the "nose."

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
The server is set to load chunks in a radius of 7 around people, I'll try doing a server-wide butcher command and see if that kills off the mobs in unloaded chunks.
I thought of that, but are you sure it won't despawn peoples tamed wolves? And that's just a temporary solution too :\
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The server is wonky again...

IMHO, we could all chip in with a buck or two to help support the server...or finance a better one :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Yeah, is the option to provide some funds still available?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken