Author Topic: Halo Nonsense  (Read 33654 times)

Even for only playing I would get a PC. Mostly because  I can't cope with simplified gameplay and controls, but PC games also tend to have superior graphics.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Roanoke

Uhm.... riiiiigght.
In Halo it's all about Aliens who out of fun decide to slaughter humanity, after that they've got these flashy supercool green-suited marine (deus ex machina anyone?) who horribly murders hundreds of enemys without dying. In addition to that, they have personal shields and armor who can resist alien capital ship mounted weaponry but no energy weapons, hell, they even have some hyperspace drive designed by some crazy japanese moron, but 500 years into the future, NO ENERGY WEAPONS.
We've already got lasers in a semi-combat ready state now.
Furthermore, the Master Moron is abled to singlehandedly flip Tanks, but takes multiple hits to even kill these little, mentally retarded running douchebags whilst their heads should be compresses to molecular sizes.

Aight. Go play with your fellow Halo console 'tards.

Wow, dude, that's a lot of bile. What happened?

Generally I view console FPSes as 'tarded, as they are even more extremely simplified as normal FPSes. Besides, if your into any gaming, you don't get a console, you get a PC (Well, sorry Mac, but I can't defend you on this territory :().

you do realise that, strictly speaking, Freespace is a FPS right ?

Similar to Marathon, FreeSpace is a shiny gloryful example of FPSes, like... uh... swiss chocolate on the **** food market.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

I thought it's a simulator game. :wtf:

Offline Roanoke

It's a shoot 'em up. With a 1st person perspective (unless you use chase view ofcourse).

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

I thought it's a simulator game. :wtf:

You're both wrong. Freespace is as much a FPS as Halo is a flight simulator. Similarly, Freespace is as much a simulator as Adventure was a book.

Freespace is of the "space combat" genre. Unless you're speaking technically, which then has less to do with what a game is like than with what kind of cardboard the game box is made.

I thought it was "Space combat simulator" :wtf:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
In order to be a simulator, it would have to simulate something, Freespace takes too many physics 'shortcuts' to be a simulator really. IWar is closer to a simulator, and even that had to be 'dumbed down' for fear of making the game too hard to play.

It's a game first and foremost.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Technically speaking it IS a FPS. It's a shooter with a First Person perspective, therefore it IS a First Person Shooter or FPS!  :P
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Space Combat Simulator, (albiet diluted) but with a First Person element, you can play it in third person by pressing the Keypad * if you chose to, that would make FS2 a third person shooter would it? :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Yeah but you can do that with some FPS's as well, and make them Third Person. But the primary view, (and default setting) is First Person.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I think as far as Halo is concerned, or any other game that creates massive hype that some folks don't think it necessarily deserves...

...they have to shout about it loudly, denouncing it as the great game that the PR campaign makes it out to be, because said PR campaign and the praise of the folks who blindly buy stuff is so loud that there has to be a loud group of people calling it out as not great, because they wouldn't be heard against the background noise of praise otherwise.

Also, there are probably several different reasons to dislike a game. Because disliking what everyone else likes gets you attention... because you actually simply don't like the game... because you're annoyed that other titles out there don't get as much praise because everyone is focussing on the giants like Halo instead of the "little man".

And while I'd love to say "at the end of the day, just play what you enjoy and get on with it", it should be noted that if the likes of EA can get away with squeezing out more and more titles that are clones of eachother with mediocre changes and high prices - and everyone buys them because they're the "big titles" then games in general may end up declining in quality as developers get lasy and only the giants of publishing remain.... similar to the music industry I suppose!

Hey kal, how come your name is switched back? and how come your avatar is cropped?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
and how come your avatar is cropped?

Because HAL is squinting, duh!  :rolleyes:

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Budget cuts.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Credit Crunch got HLP as well huh?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5

I've both played Halo and Halo 2, and I can say they aren't bad. They are in fact quite good in some areas, but also very boring on some. But, as far as I seen it wasn't special by no means. Want vehicles? Get Operation Flashpoint. Want guns? Goldeneye is the best hands down there.Want realism? Go grab Rainbow Six(The first, Rogue Spear and Raven Shield, not the newer crap.) Want something in between? Go grab any of the CoD series.
Want story action? Play Halo.

It's that simple to me.
It's difficult to comprehend just how ridiculous that statement is.  Rather then just shout "Go play Deus Ex!" ad infinitum*, I'll list a few titles that are in fact primarily shooters (unlike Deus Ex**, which is more of an FPS/RPG hybrid, same thing goes for System Shock 2 (only more so)) which you really should play before saying silly things like that.

A game that doesn't have to rip off Aliens because it IS Aliens: Aliens vs Predator 2.  Playing as the Marines is harrowing, playing as the predator is a blast, and playing as an alien is one of the more unique FPS moments as you can literally walk on the walls....or the ceiling.  All 3 campaigns have a good story that interweaves with the others.

The game with Clive Barker's name in the title that doesn't suck: Clive Barker's Undying.  Scary is an understatement.  Story is excellent.

What you get when you mix elite paramilitary groups with creepy japanese horror movie elements: F.E.A.R..  Note that I'm not talking about the substandard expansion packs, just the original game.  The firefights in F.E.A.R. are a thing of wonder, and the atmosphere is creepy to the extreme.  My brother would play this and be freaked out and on edge for hours afterwards.

A hilarious send up/homage to the 60s spy movie genre: No One Lives Forever.  Awesome firefights, hilarious gadgets, great cinematics, and dialog that would have me bent over laughing so hard it hurt.  Picture the Austin Powers movies, only actually funny instead of an embarrassing morass of stupid.  By recent standards it's an incredibly long game, and unlike the original Halo the developers didn't achieve that by making you run down long identical alien hallways.  Instead you'd infiltrate and shoot your way out of beatnik-infested night clubs, escape sinking ships, fight in/jump out of airplanes (without a parachute!), break into vaults, or visit 60s style space stations...and blow them up.  And that's just a handful of the locales you'll visit as you try to stop the nefarious plot of H.A.R.M. (they never actually explain what that acronym stands for).  The sequel is also a very good game, though much shorter and not as hilarious as the original (but with better graphics, and of course the level in a trailer park during a tornado where you fight ninjas).

A good Star Trek game and its sequel: Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force and Star Trek: Elite Force 2.  While the first one has to overcome the fact it's part of the Voyager setting (which may or may not make you hate it), the sequel has Picard (huzzah!) and is set in the good old Alpha quadrant.  If you like Star Trek at all then you'll doubtless enjoy the story, which enfolds as the action is taking place for the most part, so it's like being in an episode (or a bunch really) of the show.  Plus the sequel has some nifty set piece battles.  Even if you aren't a trekkie they are worth playing.

A video-game sequel to the 1982 nerdy classic: Tron 2.0  It's entirely possible some of you have never even heard of Tron before, and that's a crying shame.  The game just oozes style, and settings and mechanics defy my ability to describe just how cool they are, and it's jam packed with things that make nerds smile.

One of the more unusual FPS adaptations in recent memory: The Wheel of Time.  Turning Robert Jordan's fantasy epic into an FPS is one of those bizarre ideas that actually works.

As for why people like to gang up on Halo, I present you with this Zero Punctuation article on the new Turok game which also critiques the FPS genre itself and recent design trends, where Yahtzee boils down most of the recent problems with FPS games to their designers saying "Lets be like Halo" which he refers to as "that inexplicably popular festival of mediocrity".

*Not that it's a bad idea, because you really should.

**Deus Ex was technically the second FPS I ever owned***, though Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight really stopped being an FPS once you could use the lightsaber, as the 3rd person perspective was so much more useful for that.  This made it the first FPS I played through, endowing me with rather high standards as a result.

***The first game I ever purchased was actually Descent, which I realize is played from the FPS perspective, but is not really an FPS.  Starting out with Descent biased**** me against ground-pounders for years to come (I originally played Jedi Knight because one of my relatives brought it to my house to see if it would work on my PC, years after the original release.  I pretty much skipped the Quake era entirely.), and my devotion to that series is one of the reasons I tried out the Freespace universe in the first place (as Descent's development team had split into Outrage and Volition).

****I have played classic Doom era titles like Heretic, I just found them annoyingly primitive when compared the the holy grail that was Descent.  It was fun turning people into a chicken in multi-player though, back in the good old days of serial port network gaming and DOS.  I just craved my 360 degrees of freedom.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:38:05 pm by Marcus Vesper »
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Oh yeah!
Yahtzee makes the best reviews I've ever seen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ironically, Marcus, I played every one of those titles you cited (with the exception of the Wheel of Time game, never heard of that), and yet I preferred Halo to all of them.

I really think it's a matter of taste. Even for Yahtzee.