Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597705 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
What's interesting is that Chris Roberts has gone on record to state in 2014 that the project received enough funding to finish the game, despite with limited scope and ambition, with $54 million raised. A "healthy cash reserve" was kept to ensure completion of the project if funding stopped. Total funding has now reached $128 million, almost two and a half times the amount two years ago. That is one hell of a cash reserve, and if my money has been "spent", as well as others' money, that suggests that the $128 million has been blown through with colossal mismanagement and that CIG relies on new backers to refund money when requested, and ultimately given.

I've sent my retort, with a warning that should a refund denial be issued, I will contact appropriate government agencies.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You are the third person to suggest that to me despite me having found it on my own. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
So.

Past-his-prime older white dude. Says we're gonna build a game, it's gonna be big, it's gonna be the greatest. Charismatic, but giant ego. Can't take criticism; everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault. His proposal's not technically or financially feasible? He can paper over that with glittering generalities and empty promises (and silly hand gestures).

His supporters thought their man would overturn the Establishment, that he'd shake up the status quo. They've bought into his dream, with an unquestioning fanaticism and a shared selective reality. They'll close ranks behind their man.

But sooner or later, reality catches up. Every sane person shakes their head in horror at the trainwreck that this man started. Even some of his initial supporters see the writing on the wall and get out while they can. And everyone involved will be much poorer once he's done with them.

So yeah. People keep falling for this.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
So.

Past-his-prime older white dude. Says we're gonna build a game, it's gonna be big, it's gonna be the greatest. Charismatic, but giant ego. Can't take criticism; everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault. His proposal's not technically or financially feasible? He can paper over that with glittering generalities and empty promises (and silly hand gestures).

His supporters thought their man would overturn the Establishment, that he'd shake up the status quo. They've bought into his dream, with an unquestioning fanaticism and a shared selective reality. They'll close ranks behind their man.

But sooner or later, reality catches up. Every sane person shakes their head in horror at the trainwreck that this man started. Even some of his initial supporters see the writing on the wall and get out while they can. And everyone involved will be much poorer once he's done with them.

The political commentary nestled beside this is astoundingly accurate, to boot. Bravo.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
So.

I think it's taking it a *bit* too far to compare Chris Roberts with Donald Trump.

Offline CT27

If Trump is CR, does that mean Derek Smart is Hillary?  :p

If Chris Roberts were to grab one of the Wing Commander villains, what would he grab them by?

If Trump is CR, does that mean Derek Smart is Hillary?  :p

Nah, he's Ted Cruz. Hillary is more akin to David Braben.

Offline MikeRoz

But I thought people like David Braben.

And if we're mapping space game devs to political candidates, why not Sean Murray to Trump?
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
http://gameranx.com/updates/id/65926/article/how-to-get-a-refund-in-star-citizen/

Wow. That link has the full version of the email that Cobra got and... damn. That's some egregious ****. IANAL, but I am studying contract law at the moment. That letter is written purely to obfuscate and guilt trip people. The idea that they can't refund because they don't have your specific dollars sitting in a bank account is so ludicrousthat it can't possibly have been inserted for any purpose other than to confuse people. When you call upon a refund you're entitled to, you create a brand new liability for the merchant. It doesn't matter where your money is - they have a new debt to you, and they're obligated to pay it just as they would be any other debt.

I hope they aren't pulling this same **** here in Australia. We have very strong, very straightforward consumer protection law that's well advertised - they'll find themselves losing a lot of money and even more good will if they try this sort of crap here.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
http://gameranx.com/updates/id/65926/article/how-to-get-a-refund-in-star-citizen/

Wow. That link has the full version of the email that Cobra got and... damn. That's some egregious ****. IANAL, but I am studying contract law at the moment. That letter is written purely to obfuscate and guilt trip people. The idea that they can't refund because they don't have your specific dollars sitting in a bank account is so ludicrousthat it can't possibly have been inserted for any purpose other than to confuse people. When you call upon a refund you're entitled to, you create a brand new liability for the merchant. It doesn't matter where your money is - they have a new debt to you, and they're obligated to pay it just as they would be any other debt.

I hope they aren't pulling this same **** here in Australia. We have very strong, very straightforward consumer protection law that's well advertised - they'll find themselves losing a lot of money and even more good will if they try this sort of crap here.

They're pulling it withe everyone. Problem is is that anyone who buys **** from CIG now is screwed because they've been periodically rewriting their TOS, closing gaps in it that allowed people refunds.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Woo!

Following a review of your request, we have decided at our discretion to refund your account. When this process is complete your account will be permanently closed.

We will now research your activity and refund eligibility for pledges which are present on this account.

Purchase types that are non-refundable include physical goods which have been fulfilled, event tickets, and subscriptions.

If you have received pledge items from third parties as gifts in excess of your actual account spend, we can, at your option, return those to the account which gifted the pledge to you, however those pledges are not refundable to you because you did not pay for them yourself.

Some pledges may no longer be refundable through their original payment methods, and therefore before proceeding with this process we will need your PayPal details to action the refund.

Upon confirmation from you of your PayPal details, we will begin the research process and at that time your account will be made inactive permanently, including your email address and handle on our system.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They're pulling it withe everyone. Problem is is that anyone who buys **** from CIG now is screwed because they've been periodically rewriting their TOS, closing gaps in it that allowed people refunds.

Technically when they do that, you should just click that you don't agree and tell them you want your money back. Either that or send them a new contract which you have changed making you God Emperor of the Universe and expecting them to pay for it. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Woo!

Following a review of your request, we have decided at our discretion to refund your account. When this process is complete your account will be permanently closed.

We will now research your activity and refund eligibility for pledges which are present on this account.

Purchase types that are non-refundable include physical goods which have been fulfilled, event tickets, and subscriptions.

If you have received pledge items from third parties as gifts in excess of your actual account spend, we can, at your option, return those to the account which gifted the pledge to you, however those pledges are not refundable to you because you did not pay for them yourself.

Some pledges may no longer be refundable through their original payment methods, and therefore before proceeding with this process we will need your PayPal details to action the refund.

Upon confirmation from you of your PayPal details, we will begin the research process and at that time your account will be made inactive permanently, including your email address and handle on our system.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline CT27

What exactly will we be getting with Squadron 42 (the secondary project CR is working on)?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Do you not know what Google is? :wtf:

It's the singleplayer component of the Star Citizen project. Full of big Hollywood names and ****.

Offline CT27

Sorry for asking a question. 

I was trying to figure out if people thought it was being as poorly managed as SC.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It... is part of SC, so.... by definition yes?