Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 597724 times)

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Still though, I do wonder what they think they'll gain here: From everything they've told us, they made extensive changes to the engine in order to get it to run SC content; getting those changes to run on whatever Amazon has done will be ... an interesting challenge, I imagine.

An interesting challenge that is already done.

Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5k06v9/letter_from_the_chairman_26_lumberjack/

Having an engine with new name makes this sound like a huge change. But what I think actually happened is that they took the netcode and some miscellaneous upgrades from Lumberyard, merged it into StarEngine, and then named the resulting hybrid Lumberyard, too (mostly for marketing reasons?). It is not as big of a deal as it seems.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

maslo, you're a dumbass. They could not do that last without Amazon suing them. It would be trademark infringement.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
maslo, you're a dumbass. They could not do that last without Amazon suing them. It would be trademark infringement.

They absolutely could, according to the Lumberyard license terms. All they had to do is apply all the changes they made to CryEngine to Lumberyard (which is a non-trivial merge, given the extent of the changes they have claimed to make).

An interesting challenge that is already done.

Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

And working on this has not held up development in the slightest.

Incidentally, I have come into possession of some prime waterfront real estate, might I interest you in it?

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network

Let me explain to you really simply, so that you too can understand:

1. Buy a Lumberyard engine license
2. Merge the netcode and some other things from it into StarEngine
3. Proceed to claim "we are using Lumberyard engine now"
4. Amazon is very happy because they have a customer for their engine and a very prominent one, so money and free publicity, and they do not even think about suing anyone
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I guess for the backers this is good news in the long term, since there is now at least a chance that the game materializes in some vaguely playable state.

For CR it must be a bit embarassing, because with this move CIG indirectly admits that their hack-job called StarEngine is not usable for the promised features of the game at all. Also they wasted god knows how many man-hours (=$$$) on said hack-job.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:03:59 am by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Let me explain to you really simply, so that you too can understand:

1. Buy a Lumberyard engine license
2. Merge the netcode and some other things from it into StarEngine
3. Proceed to claim "we are using Lumberyard engine now"
4. Amazon is very happy because they have a customer for their engine and a very prominent one, so money and free publicity, and they do not even think about suing anyone

But that isn't what you said they did. You said they TOOK it. Like they could just look at the engine and take whatever they felt like. No mention was made of buying the license in the post for which I called you a dumbass. Also, for all you know, it went the other way. They could have purchased a Lumberyard license, compared the two engines, ported any necessary changes over to Lumberyard, and then announced that they're using a new engine.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/faq/
"Q. What types of game genres are recommended for use with Amazon GameLift?
Amazon GameLift is designed to support session-based games with game loops that begin and end within a specified time period. Typically, these are multiplayer games in genres like first person shooters, MOBAs, fighting, racing, or sports. Amazon GameLift is not designed to support games with persistent worlds that never reset, such as MMOs or sandbox games. Amazon GameLift is also not designed to support asynchronous turn-based multiplayer designs that are often used for mobile or social games."
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Wait, are you saying they chose a new framework that they'll have to once again adapt to their needs?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Aesaar

You underestimate the genius of Christ Roberts, Spoon.  He's not going to let a petty thing like "reality" and "feasibility" get in the way of making the BDSSE.

Offline MikeRoz

Just in case anyone is interested in hearing it from the horse's mouth, rather than speculating or trolling:

Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

p.s. I wont be replying to this as it is Christmas and I am meant to be enjoying a bit of time off with my family (and playing some games - you may see me pop into a Star Marine or AC match or two!)

p.p.s Happy Holidays All!

Source: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/364217

Please resume your regularly scheduled 1440-minutes-hate.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
So if switching to Lumberyard to work on Amazon is such a brilliant move, why is it explicitly stated BY AMAZON that AWS is not intended for use with persistent universes?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Just in case anyone is interested in hearing it from the horse's mouth, rather than speculating or trolling:

-snip-

The thing with this particular horse is that he has proven to be utterly unreliable and full of bull****.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MikeRoz

So if switching to Lumberyard to work on Amazon is such a brilliant move, why is it explicitly stated BY AMAZON that AWS is not intended for use with persistent universes?
Why don't we just replace this thread with a link to Derek Smart's Twitter if that's where we're going to get our "facts" from?

Why would Amazon sign an agreement with CIG if Amazon knows that CIG cannot use their services?
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Why don't we just replace this thread with a link to Derek Smart's Twitter if that's where we're going to get our "facts" from?

Why would Amazon sign an agreement with CIG if Amazon knows that CIG cannot use their services?

I like how you write "facts" as if what I'm talking about is from an unofficial source. I point out that there is a massive inconsistency with what's being presented, and suddenly we're all being compared to Derek friggin' Smart and his army of minions with pitchforks and torches. Good God, man, calm down. Though, obviously, I'm sure you refused to investigate Spoon's link purely because Spoon posted it. You don't find it the least bit odd that Amazon's only service is, by their own admission, suitable for anything but persistent universes? Unless they're keeping something hidden, which would be odd, because who wouldn't want to go "Hey guys we're supporting the biggest crowdfunded game in history!" and announce a special cloud-based service specifically for Star Citizen alongside CIG's acquisition of the Lumberyard engine?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 04:30:45 pm by Cobra »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Maybe they're just moving to Lumberjack because with Crytek's recent downfall, it's the biggest CryEngine game in town now?

Offline Aesaar

This just in, Derek Smart says that 1+1 equals 2.  Therefore, 1+1 cannot equal 2.  Mathematicians baffled by how they overlooked this.

Also, Chris Roberts (who has of course never exaggerated or lied about SC's development in any way) apparently knows more about Lumberyard's capabilities than Amazon does.  That's why CIG's been working on Lumberyard for a year and only now informs its backers: Open Development.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:00:53 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Derek smart mentioned, thread is now automatically godwinned. Another victory for CGI :7

Or so the citizens believe.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MikeRoz

I like how you write "facts" as if what I'm talking about is from an unofficial source. I point out that there is a massive inconsistency with what's being presented, and suddenly we're all being compared to Derek friggin' Smart and his army of minions with pitchforks and torches. Good God, man, calm down. Though, obviously, I'm sure you refused to investigate Spoon's link purely because Spoon posted it. You don't find it the least bit odd that Amazon's only service is, by their own admission, suitable for anything but persistent universes? Unless they're keeping something hidden, which would be odd, because who wouldn't want to go "Hey guys we're supporting the biggest crowdfunded game in history!" and announce a special cloud-based service specifically for Star Citizen alongside CIG's acquisition of the Lumberyard engine?
I didn't refuse to investigate anything. I saw your post, which was directly after my post and quoted no other posts, and incorrectly assumed I could respond to it divorced from any other context. I did not see Spoon's post.

Further, your post references AWS, not GameLift like Spoon's post. AWS is an umbrella under which many services are offered at various prices. I am sure that some of the lower-tier offerings have disclaimers about unsupported uses. That does not mean that AWS as a whole offers no product that supports the intended usage. For example, you probably shouldn't host a website - or a persistent game - from the EBS on an EC2 instance. When that instance is no longer needed, your storage goes poof. Extrapolating "Hosting websites on AWS is not recommended!" from that would be foolish. You and Derek have both claimed that AWS is not recommended for MMO usage. The burden of proof is upon you, the maker of the claim, not upon me.

GameLift is indeed specifically marketed as a solution for session-based games. I've seen nothing from CIG specifically referencing their usage of GameLift, supported or unsupported. What have you seen that I haven't seen? Further, GameLift is hardly the only AWS-backed networking technology introduced with Lumberyard. It doesn't take much imagination to come up with potential uses of something like GridMate.

I'm also at a loss for how GameLift is supposed to be useless to CIG. It wouldn't be suitable for a WoW-style MMO with a persistent server that all the users from a particular region connect to. However, from the beginning CIG has been talking about dynamically spinning up and standing down shards for subsets of users as they move about the universe. That kind of usage may not have the same kind of upper bound on instance lifetime that a DOTA 2 or CS:GO match might, but it's also a far cry from the kind of usage that Amazon is recommending against in the FAQ snippet that Spoon posted.

Finally, this should be the final nail in the coffin of any "AWS can't be used for MMOs!" argument. Frontier Games uses AWS for their games, E:D among them. Any sin which you're accusing CIG of has already been committed by FD. Seems like it's working out pretty well for them. It's certainly working out well enough that Amazon has a video advertising the partnership on their site.

This just in, Derek Smart says that 1+1 equals 2.  Therefore, 1+1 cannot equal 2.  Mathematicians baffled by how they overlooked this.

Also, Chris Roberts (who has of course never exaggerated or lied about SC's development in any way) apparently knows more about Lumberyard's capabilities than Amazon does.  That's why CIG's been working on Lumberyard for a year and only now informs its backers: Open Development.
So does David Braben! You better tell Amazon, so they can take that video down!

-snip-

The thing with this particular horse is that he has proven to be utterly unreliable and full of bull****.
Roberts's boundless optimism regarding future features and upcoming release dates is well-documented. Are there any recorded instances of him lying about or maliciously misconstruing the past?

If he tells me that 3.0 will be out in January or that exploration will be an incredibly engaging career in final SC, I'll take that with a truckload of salt. If he talks about an agreement that was hammered out six months ago, what reason do I have disbelieve him?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Why would they attempt to build Star Citizen on CryEngine in the first place instead of simply making their own engine for it? Let's just end this discussion once and for all. They've obviously moved because

Maybe they're just moving to Lumberjack because with Crytek's recent downfall, it's the biggest CryEngine game in town now?

That. The most ignored comment on the last page is the one that basically explained everything. They switched forks (which doesn't seem to have involved much actual work) because they found a better supported one. If they need to actually use anything else from Amazon it's a sign that even after 4 years they had absolutely nothing working when it came to making a persistent universe or that they are going to ditch what they had in favour of using Amazon's stuff. Both of those are really bad. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Are we finally witnessing the end times, commandos?

lol they'll release 2.6 within the next few weeks and then the fanbase will go straight back to fawning over the mediocre, janky FPS and wanking off about how it proves every doubt about the project wrong

It's funny how correct this prediction was, the RSI forums are back in happy lala-land (for now).
CIG bought themselves about 6 months worth of quiet time, until the cititenzs will get restless regarding 3.0 (aka the Jesus patch)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea