Author Topic: Fooling around with Saga  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Fooling around with Saga
Started fooling around with WCS...

Added something that IMO looked kinda cool.. Though dunno if WC3 era fighters should have external payload.. But that Longbow does look waay more menacing than normally...

Added also something else too...
Hellcat against Darket

Sort of 'minimod' for WCS thing.. Uses scripting etc. etc. so works only with new builds that aren't from 369 branch etc. etc. If you aren't familiar with modding FS Open do not download this. It will screw up your copy of Wing Commander Saga unless you know what you are doing.
link to buggy preview version

I noticed some wierd little bugs in the game when playing with new scripting builds.. for some reason Dralthi has nicely textured in tech room and in ship lab (all lods) but in game and in briefing screen it had mostly pitch black 'paint'.. though with nice reflections.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:31:45 am by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Fooling around with Saga
I took a quick glance into the archive. Didn't test it as I am at work, but still...

A few questions:

- particle smoke: I've already included it into the Hermes build. Is there a possibility to control the size of the particles? :)
- what kind of changes did you do to the models? :)
- Muzzflashes: I did try them out, wasn't satisfied with the result though. I'll give yours a try :)
- You've included a lotg of tbls, in some I do not see any changes though :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well...

1) The new builds i was using had some rather extensive issues with particles.. Like this one http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,47201.0.html which produced mile long trails from the particles (and 2000+ particles start gradually to slow the game a lot).. though it looked hilarious. So i swapped the long .ani particle effect into smaller and considerably faster .eff version (with increased FPS and lesser frames). Changing the particle sizes should be possible.. (soonish at least) http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,47353.0.html

2) Created new firepoints and moved firepoints.. For secondaries so that the amount of firepoints matched the 'maximum' capacity of the given secondary bank. Also changed some weapon normals as well on the models that IMO needed it. Downside is that i used ModelView for changes so if the models had any glowpoints they have to be re added to the models...

3) I'm not sure if turret mflashes work on 369s yet. But I added mflashes mainly just for the turrets and secondly for the fighter sized guns. And i think i need to rescale the flashes down some more (with fighter guns) and perhaps find better effects for certain weapons.

4) Lot of the table changes went to change 'Shivan(s)' -> 'Kilrathi' (whole species thing) on the table side. Some small changes into weapons (like making 'dummy IFF' visible etc.), rate-of-fire (ROF) changes, fof changes. Some went to enhance other aspects of the game (like iff_defs and ai_profiles) and then of course changing the ship settings a bit (visible secondaries). And also the scripted explosion thingyes needed separate table.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 03:24:08 am by Wanderer »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
wait wait wait, what kind of explosion? :)

Does this work with the 3.6.10 /stable/ branch?

And I do not fully get the part about making "iff dummy" visible. Is it just for the external hardpoints?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:50:38 am by Tolwyn »

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Its a scripted thing... When capship's hitpoints reach 0 (or other preset value) there is a small delay after which script generates loads of quick 'detonation' flashes within preset limits (i.e. box roughly of the capship's shape). So it seems like there are loads of explosions (flashes) happening all around the dying ship before it actually blows up. And then after ship breaks apart if triggers a short but a lot larger flash.

Sadly.. the current script works only with 3.7 (unstable) branch.. but it is relatively simple and could possibly be rewrote for the 369 (just possibly).

And dummy was made visible just to get extra 8 missiles to show on the Longbow.. :D

This is kinda interesting...

Although I don't believe WC3 ships ever showed externally mounted missiles, the earlier model ships (rapier, epee, ect.) may have, and it would be a cool feature.

I do like the weapon flash, although I agree that in it's current state it may be a bit much.

I would also like to see an example of the explosion, that sounds pretty neat.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Example ordered.. and here it is, TCS Amadeus blowing up. Actually exactly the same script is used as seen here. Second ones are ogg theora clips.. At least VLC player shows them nicely.

Actual graphic (the 'flash' animation) is really cheapo color blend thing made by yours truly and can be replaced with any animation supported by the game (.eff .ani). And just to make it clear, I didn't touch to the shockwave or to the more classic explosion effect.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Looks really nice.
I love it when Capships break up spectacularly!  :)
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Wow, I really like that explosion effect, that looks quite impressive!

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
This extra explosions remind me a little about Homeworld.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I like the effect! Could use some tweaking though...  specially the color. In WC4 cgi the large flash was white, I believe, smaller flashes were orange (but they were tad smaller, I have to take a look to be sure though).

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
external payload = :yes: :yes: