Author Topic: What ever happened to capship shields?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What ever happened to capship shields?
I recall there was some experimentation where the ships hull was counted as shields (as long as you had them specified in the TBL) but it had no hit effect.

So what's up with that?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: What ever happened to capship shields?
Its there.  I was playing FSport with the HTL Lucifer in place of the shielded version the Port includes.  When I shot the model, I heard the impact sound, but saw no impact effect.  Bobbeau had suggested that he could have an impact effect added, but nothing had come of it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I don't think Bobb could do anything about that until he'd done the work-through on his decal code that he wanted to do. I suspect the two would use precisely the same functions. That's probably why it hasn't been done yet :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Indeed, surface shields are working. They play a sound, protect the ship and are visible on the hud. Unfortunately, no shield hit effect.
But maybe in the future.....
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
They don't reuire a special flag or something similar?

All I need to do is give the shield some strength in the ships.tbl, right?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
you have to add surface shield flag in the tbl (for each capital ship)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Ooops I was going to make some tries in order to take out the mesh-shielded but low-poly Lucy from FSPort. But I do feel this can only happen if surface shield hits are properly rendered (If you want a "pretty" fully replacement, I mean)

Could any coder add this feature to his ASAP to-do list, please?
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I was messing around, doing some Fredding with the FSPort, and put the Lucy with an Orion.  I noticed the Lucy's indicator had shields around it, so I fired on it and the shield effects worked fine.  It had the little glow at the impact and the impact sound and everything.  Even the Lucy's shield indicator flashed in the quadrent I fired upon.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
FSPort has a shielded Lucifer models iirc :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
At the moment this would be ideal for a new, absorbative shielding type. :p If you want to use it that way in your campaign.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im not sure about this but it might be possible to script in a shield hit effect.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
FSPort has a shielded Lucifer models iirc :)
As does the Diablo in Into the Depths of Hell chapter 3.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Bobbaus shielded deimos...
http://archives.volitionwatch.com/fs2/mods/models.php3

With visible effect. Didnt old WC Saga have shielded caps too? :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yep, you can get the effect by rebuilding the model, but the SCP was sorking on an effect that didn't require re-compiling, it relies on the Decal code, which is waiting to be revised, but I suspect it will rear its head again ;)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Didnt old WC Saga have shielded caps too? :confused:

We tried more than once. But we could have either ridiculous big bubble shields (kinda useless by the geometry of our capships) or we have shieldmeshes with either huge faces and therefore huge and strange hit effects, or they crash the entire game. I tried to make combined shields
of more than one bubble, but at the gluelines were rendering problems again, or they crashed :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I can live without hte hit effects for a while (I'm testing something anyway)

what's hte flag?

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
An idea I had some time ago was about haveing two hit animations.
First is played as long as the shields are up and shows a shieldhit.
Second is the normal hit animation that is played when the shields are down.

Don't know how hard it would be to code that.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Obviously it's hard to make the hit effect for the surface shields. It's tragic (but we can live with it). Other things are more important :)

@Trashman:

The ship.tbl flag is as follows :

"surface shields"
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Mav

Didnt old WC Saga have shielded caps too? :confused:

We tried more than once. But we could have either ridiculous big bubble shields (kinda useless by the geometry of our capships) or we have shieldmeshes with either huge faces and therefore huge and strange hit effects, or they crash the entire game. I tried to make combined shields
of more than one bubble, but at the gluelines were rendering problems again, or they crashed :(
Huh? - Did my cruiser-shield crash at any time for you? :confused:

It wasn't completely done :o   (maybe to 95%; oh, and the terran ship I was assigned afterwards is shielded to about 50%... :o wasn't very entertaining to make, though :ick: )   , and I don't feel like doing shieldmeshs-only again (because its a lot of work for not much effect and because I have better things to do), but as far as I remember, it did work, at least so far as it was completed.
Still, seeing real capship-shielding as unpractical (but NOT impossible), it's quite valid to ask for the hull-shield implementation... :) (so - no real complains at anyone in this discussion)
(also, surface-shields should help preventing suicide shield-penetration runs in multiplayer-missions... ;) )

Oh, and congratulations for getting the Mod mostly finshed :) :yes: (which is something I usually miss to accomplish with my stuff :( ) . I'll certainly play it at some time, though currently there are other things to do (so - no feedback from me for now :o ).
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)