Author Topic: Some ideas (shields, other defenses, miscellany)  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Some ideas (shields, other defenses, miscellany)
I was just thinking about shields some, and I was wondering if we could come up with something new that hasn't been done yet for them.

First (before adding new features (which I understand would not make it into the official 3.6.10 release)) I think someone should look into how well shields work on capships. Basically checking what happens when the shield is big enough that someone could put their firing point between the shield and the hull--does it hit the hull, or go through to the shield on the other side, or what? And what is the 'correct' behavior--maybe some mods might want different behaviors?

Most of these ideas would probably not be used for or applicable to the main campaign, but instead in user mods.

Also, would it be possible to have multiple independently destructible shield generators on a ship (probably a capship), which when destroyed expose a part of the ship to damage? (It might be kind of hard to get this just right though. Projecting a polygonal mesh (like the current shields) might work, but depending on what the creator wants, it might look kinda funky.

Another, significantly more complicated idea would be to have shields that have a dynamic shape. For a single shield generator (or a ship that doesn't have a shield generator system), I was thinking of something where as you hit the shield quadrants, the shield over that quadrant droops closer to the hull. When it is at 0, the shield is on or inside the hull, and the shots will simply hit the hull itself. You could probably cheat somehow to simplify calculations by adding a slight randomization to the position of the shield hit effect, too. If this idea were to be combined with the previous scenario, it might be neat if instead of making meshes for each generator, each generator would have a bubble around it (calculated somehow), which would shrink and disappear as generators went down (and might reappear in an interesting way if a generator were repaired).

Other interesting ideas might be "shields" that reduce the strength of incoming weapons during the time they are inside (possibly a linear decrease in damage per distance/time, or an exponential one). Also, an effect like the "time bomb" that was planned for the Mothership in StarCraft 2 (an ability which I believe has currently been scrapped); it basically slowed down and stopped all incoming fire before it could reach the ship. (Of course, there would probably need to be some sort of counter for such a shield, and I don't know how beams would be slowed down (maybe they could be the counter))

Last but not least, something akin to the Gravitic Impeder in the game Battleships Forever; a subsystem which shoots out a beam of gravity (not realistic but it's a game, right?) which slows down an incoming projectile. It would only be able to target one or a few shots at a time, though, meaning if one were to direct enough fire at the ship some or most of it would get through.

Just some zany ideas I thought I'd throw at you.

Offline Mav

Re: Some ideas (shields, other defenses, miscellany)
From my older tests with a shielded Kilrathi cruiser, I'd say you'll hit the hull - I had left the turrets outside the shields... problem was, the damage on those turrets was also applied to the main hull, which I hadn't intended and which especially wasn't nice when hit by heavy weapons :( .

So, I'd like to request a way to decouple subsystem damage from main hull damage... :)

Oh, and be careful - if you make your shieldmesh TOO far away from the hull, you'll get bugs... shields not working from some sides or even the game crashing  :nervous: .
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well I remember people trying flak on a retail Ursa back in the day.  It would impact your own shield on the way out and blow them up.  It's probably weapon type dependent though since the Kyser works. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
In a thing I'm working on, I'd like to use the shield to simulate ablative armor and later on, regenerating armor, mostly by having no shield hit impact effect and by having no shield regeneration.

I know these will probably work now, There probably isn't any way to have effects tied to this, is there?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
"surface_shields" enables any ship to act like it has a hull shield, altough there are no shield hit effects YET.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!