Author Topic: Newbie on Linux needs help installing  (Read 2255 times)

Offline niglch

Newbie on Linux needs help installing
Hi, let me start off by saying I'm impressed by how much has gone on with Freespace since I played it. I own a copy of FS1 and would have bought FS2 had I even known it existed. Of course, the next time I stumbled upon info about Freespace, I learned the source code had been released for FS2 and there is now an FS2 Open project. Naturally, I want to play it!

I'm primarily a Linux (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn) user. Although I have heard that Freespace 2 and FS2 Open can be installed on Linux, I'm confused as to what steps I need to take to get this done (like what I need to download and how I install). I'm also wondering what the relationship is between FS2 Open and FS2. Do you need to install FS2 before FS2 Open, or is it completely separate? If they're separate, how do I install FS2 as opposed to FS2 Open? If not, how to I install FS2 on Linux and then modify it to be FS2 Open?

I know this is unclear and it's basically a bunch of basic question, but keep in mind I'm a complete newbie to all of this...

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Re: Newbie on Linux needs help installing
Well, if you want fs-open, then you should go here to get turey's online installer. Once you get it up and going, choose make a directory to install too, then choose fs2 retail core (don't forget to choose the music, animation files, etc for fs2), don't get the fsopen windows binaries or the macosx ones, you don't need those. Then go down to the mediavp's section, click on the 3.6.8 zeta media vp stuff, along with the 710 mediavp fixes. After that go ahead and download the fs2 cutscenes. Then go on down the list a little further and download the fsport (fs1 has been upgraded as well), and get everything for the fsport. I highly recommend the port, standard fs1 blows balls compared to it.

Once that stuff gets downloading, you should hop into synaptic or adept(whichever you have) and download libopenal since fsopen needs openal.
After fsopen is downloading what you desired in the online installer. But, you can't quite run it just yet. Next you need to go here and download the fs2 3.6.9 linux executable installer. It's just a .run file. Once you have that downloaded right click on that bastard and go to properties and make sure it's executable, and if it's not, then click the "is executable" checkbox in the permissions of the file (sometimes ubuntu is a gay with what's supposed to be executable). Run the run file, install the binary to the fsopen directory tureys installer downloaded all the **** to. After that, fsopen is playable, after that if you want the improved graphics, i'll make stuff easy for you and get you my fsopen linux executable text file (it's a text file that loads the fsopen linux binary but with extra features that fsopen has that the linux binary does not load by default...aka the new graphics, lighting and everything why  you came to the hlpbb to play the new fsopen for). The reason why i'd make it easy for you? You're a noob, installing fsopen can get complicated especially if you don't know the launcher flags or how to use them, so i'll just give you my executable file you can modify to point to where your fsopen binary is on your computer and voila for you.

Yeah fsopen is quite complicated to get going once you think about, and my post isn't entirely clear as i don't have too much time to go in depth more than i already have. Just try the things i told you and you'll find hey this is easy as long as you know what to get from the installer mainly, which i covered almost not good enough. Just check things out, and more people will respond to this thread. And yes i run fsopen on linux, runs great, and i have kubuntu. But ubuntu sucks, and i'm learning how to make my own morphix distro currently because ubuntu sucks, and i'll get going with debian sid.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline niglch

Ok, I got FS2 Open working in Linux and it is now playable. Everything seems to be working fine with the exception that it has frozen and forced me to restart my computer a couple of times during mission briefings :(. I installed everything from the open installer except for the Windows/Mac binaries, the Single Player Demo, and the JAD series (I'm not exactly sure what it is yet so I didn't feel like waiting for it to download). I also think I have figured out how to use the advanced settings for FS2 Open by using the --help command (it brought up the list of parameters for enabling specular maps, glow maps, etc) and editing the desired screen resolution in the fs2_open.ini file.

However, the extra campaigns I downloaded with the open installer (FS1 port, Deus Ex Machina, Homesick, Transcend, and Sync) don't show up in the game's campaign selection list. How do I enable them?

Thanks for the help!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
However, the extra campaigns I downloaded with the open installer (FS1 port, Deus Ex Machina, Homesick, Transcend, and Sync) don't show up in the game's campaign selection list. How do I enable them?

The game needs to be run with the -mod foldername command, where foldername is fsport, sync, etc..
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
You also think you have the advanced features activated? That almost sounds like a clear ring dinger that you don't have them working. You'll ****ing know without a doubt if the advanced affects are working or not when you  make them work for sure. And the campaigns not showing up? I'm sure you'll find them showing up in their own folder in your fs2 directory. Also remember that in linux fs2_open resides in two directories which is in your /home/blabla/.fs2_open which just holds your pilot files and that ini file, and really nothing else, and then there's the actual fs2 folder that you specified where you wanted turey's installer to put all of the fs2 data that actually runs the game (why in linux they had to make a .fs2_open folder in your home directory necessary is ****ing retarded as **** and beyond me, normal fs2 just has everything in one directory and that not being the one in your home folder). You've got to remember fsopen for linux is all manual at the moment, but it's not that different from the osx and win release, while they have a launcher that modifies two files for them fs2_open.ini and the other file where the advanced flag features you specify go for sake keeping. What we have to do is modify both those files ourselves. But since you got down the fs2_open.ini file for changing your resolution, you're on the right path.

Well what you do next is make a text file whatever you wan to call it, open up the text file with your text editor (in this case gedit for you). And put this **** in:
#!/bin/bash
/media/hdb2/FreeSpace2/./fs2_open -spec -env -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -ballistic_gauge -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -alpha_env -ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 16 -spec_point 1.0 -spec_static 1.0 -spec_tube 1.0 -no_emissive_light -ogl_spec 128 -mod mediavps

The "#!/bin/bash" part you just want to put in there first, the "/media/hdb2/Freespace2/./fs2_open" is the location of my fs2 directory and fs2 linux executable, of course replace this with you own fs2 directory location as it will be different than mine, just make sure that when you have the fs2 path in the text file that you make it end with "./fs2_open", right there is the command that will open fs2_open from the executable text file you're making.

After the "./fs2_open", press space and for ****'s and giggles put in "-spec -env -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -ballistic_gauge -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -alpha_env -ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 16 -spec_point 1.0 -spec_static 1.0 -spec_tube 1.0 -no_emissive_light -ogl_spec 128 -mod mediavps". And these are the advanced feature flag settings, this is quite seriously almost all of the ones you'll want to use and can use, except for the exception of fs2_open linux doesn't like the smartshield flag, and one other one that was unnecessary. Just copy all of that **** in there and save that file. When you're done with making the text file as shown here, right click on it, and go to properties, then to the permissions tab, and make a checkmark on the part that says this file is executable, then click ok. Now you can doubleclick the the executable text file and actually know for a fact that the better graphics and lighting and features are enabled.

If you would like to know what these flags mean and actually do for the game then click here and go to the command line reference to find out what the flag settings used are for, mean, and what they do. And pretty fast you'll be able to find out why several users use pretty much only the ones i have in my executable. And i really wouldn't load any other flags, the fs2_open binary for linux doesn't like to use some flags such as smartshields. I had to do some troubleshooting through the console and find out that fs2_open for linux didn't like smartshields, and usenewai flags. I poppped those out and my executable text file works like a charm. But, yes, i highly recommend that you start out with my flag settings just so that you can play the game with some great flag settings that enables the advanced and new features. And then do some research on the command line reference later. Chances are you wont use any different flag settings than the ones i have anyway, but you'll probably desire smartshields and usenewai flags that at the moment don't work on fs2_open linux.

But pretty much what i'll tell you is that "-mod mediavps" is the flag reference for what mod you have loaded. With "-mod meviavps" you will be loading the fs2 campaign with all the new models and stuff. If you do "-mod fsport" when then you'll be loading the fsport which is fs1 with it's own new models and graphics and stuff, and so on. If you want to load a different campaign, do "-mod nameofcampaignhere" and you'll load that campaign given that it's even on your computer which you should double check by going through your fs2 directory. But, yes again, don't change the flag settings i gave you around unless you know what you're doing (unless it's the "-mod" flag which is easy enough) because i have one good looking game going on my computer with those provided here, and you will too :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 04:12:24 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline niglch

Thanks, it looks great now that I have applied all of the necessary flags.

However, I'm still suffering from very frequent crashes which completely lock up X. I must ctrl+alt+backspace or just completely shut off my computer by holding the power button down in order to un-freeze. The crashes happen at very random times (during combat, after jumping out of a mission, after trying to exit the game, ...). Does this issue occur only on Linux or is it an issue with the game itself on all platforms? I read something on the WIKI about running FS2 on a different screen in X so only that screen gets screwed up if it crashes. Would this be a good idea?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
However, I'm still suffering from very frequent crashes which completely lock up X. I must ctrl+alt+backspace or just completely shut off my computer by holding the power button down in order to un-freeze. The crashes happen at very random times (during combat, after jumping out of a mission, after trying to exit the game, ...). Does this issue occur only on Linux or is it an issue with the game itself on all platforms? I read something on the WIKI about running FS2 on a different screen in X so only that screen gets screwed up if it crashes. Would this be a good idea?

Yep, those buggers are annoying. I'm having them as well sometimes and they do seem to be almost completely random. Also, I've been having trouble with a nice share of semi-random segmentation errors when playing Beyond the Red Line... :ick:

On windows, though, I don't remember when FS2_Open 3.6.9 would have crashed on me, honestly.

Running on another X server is a good solution if you can bother it. Especially if you have other stuff open and want to keep the desktop X display up. But I've also seen occasions where everything simply freezes, from screen to sound to keyboard so I wasn't even able to change X server and had to commit power reboot... :ick:

If you can tolerate it, you can also run the game in a window (if I recall correctly, that is), but IMHO it sucks to play that way... :rolleyes:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Thanks, it looks great now that I have applied all of the necessary flags.

Completely awesome. And yes i've had 3.6.9 lock up on me a bunch of times to where i've had to power reboot also (i hate doing that). In particular the mission where you go out with the actium and lysander, a good 3/4 of the way into that mission, you'll get some kind of a good freeze.

SMBFD

Offline niglch

Ok, this is just great. I had fsck go nuts on me when it was doing of it's random file system checks at startup. It came up with something like a duplicate block, attempted to do something, and crashed. After that, basically everything stopped working (no X server, no commands were working ...) and I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu. Now, for some reason, shockwaves seem to have disappeared. Bombs and exploding ships no longer make shockwaves and I have no idea what's causing it. I think I'm going to try to disable mediavps to see if that's the problem although I reinstalled twice already and they still aren't working. OpenAL is the only dependency I need to deal with, right? Sound still has some pops and crackles, but it seems to be alright besides that.

Edit: I just read through some readme's and noticed I forgot the -jpgtga flag. Now I got shockwaves back, woot ... sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:31:42 pm by niglch »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Today for me on fsopen linux, i had the screen go black on me a couple of times. However this was after i turned on kde's composite engine, which is a lot nicer at getting beryl affects a lot easier. But, hmmm, i don't want to have to turn off composite for my games to work better if it is the case. One reason i don't use beryl anymore.

SMBFD