Author Topic: FSF: Tech demo  (Read 12730 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: Re: Re: FSF: Tech demo
Originally posted by venom2506
yeah, kindda strange choice no?

Maybe it's something for model cross-compatability, or some other stuff. Still, DXF is wierd... I know that I can output some DXFs with my CAD software. Inq? Clear us up here? :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
And the tension raises among the FSF project members...

* cues in suspense music *
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Styxx
And the tension raises among the FSF project members...

* cues in suspense music *

too bad avenger isn't around, that would be fun :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
thunder: yeh managing a project and owning a project are two different things, i still OWN the project, but day to day management im not going to do.

it's still my project, my idea, hosted under my services accounts, and I expect coordination - not Inquistitor going off without even CONSULTING and saying "we're basing our engine off of this, it's not free it costs $200, and im going to make a tech demo without cosulting"
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Inquisitor
so we can play with feature ideas and prototype stuff.

While a replacement engine is quite a ways out, I can at least prove how doable this is in a short time period,

Additionally, I suggest that the 2 programmer types get together and talk, pick some freeware engines to eval,  

Are you blind or stupid? It's got to be one of those.

Additionally I don't like the way this is going, this hasn't even really gotten of the ground yet and your already power-whoring it... I don't want to put a hex on the whole thing just yet but if this is how it's going to be for the year or more that this is going to take to produce then it's not going to go well at all.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Thunder: im not 'power-whoring' anything, It's my idea, and I don't appreciate people hijacking my ideas and doing as they see fit with them.

As I've said before - using another engine as _Reference_ is ok, but we're not going to _base_ of another engine

for one we're going to be cross platform compatable - using the SDL to initialize OpenGL in a cross platform manner
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by venom2506
too bad avenger isn't around, that would be fun :p

- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Kazan
Inquistitor going off without even CONSULTING and saying "we're basing our engine off of this,

Seems to me that your implying that he was trying to use that engine totally - as I pointed out in the quotes above this is not the case, it's a prototype for show-casing, not the engine that'll be used.

Additionally, right now nothing from this project appears to be hosted on your servers (AFAIK). Also there is an extreme difference between having the concept of something like this and actually doing it - take it from me, Setekh and I have been there before with Cold Legacy. The initial idea was done in a matter of days, and after that things went into decline.

Also, nothing of yours has been hi-jacked. I don't see anyone here claiming that they had the idea or that they'd be leading the project... there still hasn't been a selected leader for this thing and therefore anyone can do what they like to help... once a better structure has been decided by everyone who's helping then the leaders can start to lock down who does what and so on. Right now it's open to everyone to come up with ideas and so on and nothing you say or do will change that.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Kazan
thunder: yeh managing a project and owning a project are two different things, i still OWN the project, but day to day management im not going to do.

it's still my project, my idea, hosted under my services accounts, and I expect coordination - not Inquistitor going off without even CONSULTING and saying "we're basing our engine off of this, it's not free it costs $200, and im going to make a tech demo without cosulting"

Argh - I tried to post in response to the other thread, but it's locked. So I'll just copy-paste:

This is exactly the thing that needs to be set down before any actual work on the project begins: who is who and what do they do?

Kazan, you, obviously, are Project Owner. Inquisitator is, as far as I've seen, an undefined role. He does seem well suited for a management position, but he needs to be in close communication with you to do so.

Until you start handing out roles, I'd say that Inquis. could be defined as the Recruitment Office. :D What'cha think?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I should point out at this stage that I was talking to Inq last night when I was doing the models for him... he isn't (and I quote) sure how far he can run with this project. But I'll leave a more definite answer to him :nod:

Offline Inquisitor

Wow, it's pretty clear you don't have a clue what I am doing.

Read my post, don't accuse me. "Protoype stuff" means look at things an engine has to offer and decide what you want to do with them. Find equivalents in another engine, or code it yourself, that sort of thing. However, if you're not going to be civil (and everyone warned me that you wouldn't) I can pack up my toy trains.

Have you EVER done this before?

-edit-
I'm gonna go have a cup of coffee, there were 3 more paragraphs here ;)
No signature.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Kazan, take it easy, no one likes it when their project grows a pair of legs and starts running away from them, but yours isnt running away.  A quote im sure many have heard before: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."  If you two sit down to ICQ and talk this out, im sure you'll find that you're worrying about a lot of things that arent really happening.

EDIT: 2 things:

1. What does this remind you of Thunder? :p
click  (j/k)

2. STEAK FOR DINNER!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2002, 08:25:21 am by 528 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wow, it's pretty clear you don't have a clue what I am doing.

Read my post, don't accuse me. "Protoype stuff" means look at things an engine has to offer and decide what you want to do with them. Find equivalents in another engine, or code it yourself, that sort of thing. However, if you're not going to be civil (and everyone warned me that you wouldn't) I can pack up my toy trains.

Have you EVER done this before?

Whoah - calm down, people... all we have here is a misunderstanding - one that I just realized this moment.

I thought, as did Kazan, that the "Prototype stuff" was referring to a prototype of the FsF project, not a prototype of what can be done with whatever engine that was.

If I am to read things correctly, Inq., you culd have titled it more properly something like "Torque Engine capabilities demo" or something along those lines... just make it clearer that it's not a demo of Fsf, but of possible engines to base Fsf on. :)

Also, Inq, a tip: Kazan is a very smart, person with a lot of head knowledge, but he doesn't have a good bedside manner. He's not afraid at all of telling people that they are wrong or whatever. Maybe it's because that's how all the people are here in Israel, but I don't find it offensive - I'm probably just used to it. Either way, that's how he is, take it or leave it. I prefer to have him as a friend, so I do my best to take everything he says in stride. You may think that he's trying to be rude, but he isn't. If he tries to be rude, you don't think - you know.

I suggest we go back to "square one" in a manner of speaking, at least as far as this thread is concerned.

Now, to the both of ya: like Kazan said before, let's work on communication, eh? :nod:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Inquisitor

Frankly, I am a very smart person too, who is also not afraid of telling people they are wrong. The fact that he "posted the thread first" doesn't make him the owner. That just shows me he DOES want to be in charge, and his "I don't want to run it" statement was just a way to soothe everyones concerns about whether or not he'd pull, what I am affectionately beginning to refer to as, a "Kazan."

Deal with the people around you in a calm, professional way. Stop being a jerk. Life is too short to deal with whiney children who have god complexes.

Now, if anyone here thinks that *I* can make a game in 3 days, someone needs to get some clues.

I have a harness, in an engine which I am familiar with, that would allow the design team to poke at stuff in a real engine that requires next to no effort to put together. A prototype, a place to evaluate technology and ideas UNTIL THE FINAL SOLUTION IS DONE. Which part of that post was impossible to understand? Do you EVEN READ my posts, or just assume you know everything?

My quote, first post "While a replacement engine is quite a ways out, I can at least prove how doable this is in a short time period, I've written most of the code already, just need to yank gravity to give what I have a more space sim feel. "

Stop being a jerk. Start reading what other people write. Stop screwing with the morale of the project by getting all hi and owner on us.

The difference, Sandwich, is that you coulda have asked "is this the final thing?" rather than accuse me of stealing his stuff.

On to DXF: I thought I could import them into Worldcrafts latest incarnation, turns out I was wrong.
MAX files work just as well. I just need to give whoever a plugin for exporting them.
No signature.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Frankly, I am a very smart person too, who is also not afraid of telling people they are wrong.

Never said you weren't. It's just that Kazan takes public pride in the fact, something which gets on peoples nerves quite easily.

The fact that he "posted the thread first" doesn't make him the owner. That just shows me he DOES want to be in charge, and his "I don't want to run it" statement was just a way to soothe everyones concerns about whether or not he'd pull, what I am affectionately beginning to refer to as, a "Kazan."

Actually, the "Early Bird" saying still holds true for the net. But regardless, we all need to sit down and decide who's who - together, before we get any more instances like this, m'kay? :nod:

Deal with the people around you in a calm, professional way. Stop being a jerk. Life is too short to deal with whiney children who have god complexes.

Don't waste your time - he's been told that so many times now... it's just how he is, take it or leave it.

A prototype, a place to evaluate technology and ideas UNTIL THE FINAL SOLUTION IS DONE.

My quote, first post "While a replacement engine is quite a ways out, I can at least prove how doable this is in a short time period, I've written most of the code already, just need to yank gravity to give what I have a more space sim feel. "

My bad - I totally missed that statement, even though I read it. Sorry.

The difference, Sandwich, is that you coulda have asked "is this the final thing?" rather than accuse me of stealing his stuff.

Ok, before we get into a mis-communication again, could you quote the part where you thought I was accusing you of stealing Kazan's stuff - I can't find it. :confused:

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
This entire situation is one very good reason for me not to at all be part of this project in any way shape or form.

Inquisitor, I think your efforts are commendable.  You've taken the bull by the horns and it sounds like you've set out to show everyone what can be done with this project.  I should have written down before I read the rest of the post...I gave him credit however...believing that MAYBE he had grown up and that his little stunt on the VBB was just a stunt...but I'm too forgiving apparently.

This project is evolving into a great idea and a grand vision, but if this is just the start of a slow descent into chaos...caused by the same person who tried to start the thing...then its not worth it.  For all of the reasons that I'd love to see this project take off and succeed...this one reason or eventuality is more than enough to destroy it.

Kazan...you really need to consider your steps carefuly.  Perhaps you can turn over a new leaf here and create something bigger than you are (and anyone else for that matter)...but if your intention is to continue on your current path...the one that you've been on, then you will probably have to walk it alone.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Inquisitor

Sorry, sandwich, didn't mean you. The bulk of that post was directed at Kazan. I meant to illustrate a difference between how you woulda handled the confusion and how it was handled by our friend.

Bad, pre-coffee typing on my part.

No body, no foul ;)
No signature.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sorry, sandwich, didn't mean you. The bulk of that post was directed at Kazan. I meant to illustrate a difference between how you woulda handled the confusion and how it was handled by our friend.

Ahh, I see how you meant it now (I think...).
Bad, pre-coffee typing on my part.

That's a big no-no, you know:

No-no!

:D

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by IceFire
This entire situation is one very good reason for me not to at all be part of this project in any way shape or form.

Ditto.

* fades away in the distance *
and besides, I know this all too well, and know where it's going
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Inquisitor

Well, now that this is thoroughly derailed and morale is shot to hell, how about back on track.

I'll edit post one, turns out DXF won't do me any good, need someone with max ;)
No signature.