Author Topic: Cargo Pusher  (Read 5190 times)

Started working on this cargo pusher the other day:

A side view

Pushing some cargo containers

Any feedback is welcome. I think I'm going to push the neck on the top forward, so that it rest against the cargo container.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I like the idea and the model at all but when I saw this for the first time, I imagined it with three cylindrical containers. I would make it the same size as Triton or Argo and make a regular freighter from it, but I guess it's gonna be smaller in your original concept.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Do you mean you'd make it smaller? It is quite large, and I'll probably have to make a custom container to go with it.

P.s. for reference, that little floating box in front is a 1.8 m tall person

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You may want to add moving latches to the end of the dorsal arm, and change the ventral arm to suit the same purpose.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Do you mean you'd make it smaller? It is quite large, and I'll probably have to make a custom container to go with it.

P.s. for reference, that little floating box in front is a 1.8 m tall person
Haven't noticed it :P. Okay, so the size of the ship itself is proper than, but the current cargo iz gargantuan :P. I would just go with three smaller cargo as I mentioned in my previous post.

Good job so far :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

So this was as far as I got in August, when I got a job and stopped working on it. I got a week of this Christmas, and thought I'd try to finish it.

I got frustrated with how it looked, so I scrapped the texture and the UVs, and made the mesh more detailed. I had planned to finish it by the new year, but I only finished UVing it tonight. I hope with current technology I'll never have to UV unwrap again.

This is what it looks like now, I haven't begun re-texturing it.

So that's where I'm at now. Any thoughts, especially on the texture? I find the old one looked  too Star Wars-ish, like a separatist ship.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
mmm This is a very good looking mesh, if you are looking for a more FS look a colour palette and textures based off the GTT Elysium would look good.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

mmm This is a very good looking mesh, if you are looking for a more FS look a colour palette and textures based off the GTT Elysium would look good.

That's a good idea. I had originally used the Argo as my inspiration (not shown), but the contrast between the armor and the not-armor sections was too high. The Elysium palette is less contrasty, so I'll give it a shot.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
This is really cool. It's an interesting concept - Freespace freighters typically hug or envelop the canisters in some way, like the arms on a Triton or Poseidon.

But this is more like a real-world tug, where it just gets up behind and pushes. It looks unique to me. I wish I was doing some project where I needed civilian designs; I'd definitely go for this.

Thanks for putting it together!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How many of these to push an Arcadia around?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Aaaaaaaaaaand bookmarked.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This is so cool. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Very, very cool, I like it very much! I love the shape, with that command tower making it so original. So far, great job!

How many of these to push an Arcadia around?
It depends on what looks good. If you can find a couple good surfaces to push against, two sounds reasonable. Maybe three.

Also as a bonus, it does come with its own cargo containers:

An individual container, featured here next to a Chronos. The Chronos can carry these containers, and they're wide enough that the Triton can carry them without looking out of place.

A bunch of the above-mentioned containers get loaded onto a rack, and the whole lot of them get pushed by the cargo pusher:

And here's an Arcadia for scale:

I wasn't planning on having the cargo rack being populated by individual containers. Just a big hollow mesh that makes it look full, maybe another that makes it look half full.

This is just... brilliant. :)

Deleted some parts of the mesh in order to clean up its form a little.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think scaling factor of plating texture should be smaller. This looks a little bit noisy. Otherwise I like it. Very good color arrangement and excellent base metal. Is this gonna be PBR-supporting model?

I've fallen off this project, but I'm trying to get back on. I have a question about textures: What are the recommendations for texture formats/naming? Is it still shine, glow, normal? Or is there something new with the PBR, or do I do old system and new?

Also, would anyone like to help me by rigging this for me? I've got the ship, a couple cargo racks, and a handful of containers to rig up. I normally take pride in doing it all myself, but it takes me forever to get them in-game, easily as long as it takes to make the thing in the first place. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
PBR models uses the same formats, but -shine was replaced by -reflect. You can find more information how to prepare your reflectance maps here and here. Old specular is not needed anymore, but if making -reflect is too complicated, engine will still handle older, non-pbr workflow and classic -shine.