Author Topic: Audio Design  (Read 11873 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The very low frequency already achieves this, but there's too much constructive interference that creates the recognizable audible beats. Experiment with adjusting the phase of the various component waves so that the beats are more random, instead of a clear sine-wave reverberation.

I think there was some super-sonic related effects for large explosions, but I can't remember where I got that information from.  :confused:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I'll change the LFO waveform.. that my might achieve the random effect!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Okay, so i've changed the LFO to a more random waveform and it has had a noticeable effect. Here is the second version of the anti-matter explosion. This one shakres a bit more and has a rumblier effect, but the elements are still essentially the same.

https://www.mediafire.com/?xa550qeanlnt1w8

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Ok, the decaying part of the explosion sounds good to me, now just experiment with cross-fading the ignition and reverberations. :)

(BTW, this is still your work, so feel free to tell me off whenever you disagree with something)  :P
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
All input/feedback is welcome, as it is you guys "The Modders" who are the intended users of these sounds, so if you feel as though something isn't right then I need to know so I can change it to maintain the quality to the mod that they are going to be used in.

So... here is anti-matter explosion number 3! I was initially trying for a multiple explosion feel by using a delay machine. I've swapped the delay machine with a reverb and shifted the pitch of the explosion. Personally, I don't think anything else should be needed for this sound now... but that is not for me to judge.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ti8ltvbqrgr7770

Also, is there any other feedback on the beam weapons? In particular, I am interested in feedback after they have been included in a mod or even tested in replacing the vanilla sounds. I would do it myself, but I'm afraid I don't know how too (although I'm guessing it would be to replace the wav in vp)!

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
 :yes:

For quick test mods, you should be able to rename the .wav  (or .ogg) to one of the existing explosion sounds and just toss it in /data/sounds. VPVIEW32 is a good tool to look around the .vp's.
chief1983

------------

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yes, the way FSO handles hierarchy, anything in the actual data structure of the mod directories overrides the equivalent in the .vp one.

So, if you had sounds.vp and inside was /data/sounds/bigexpl.wav , but you had an actual file in the actual FS2dir\data\sounds\bigexpl.wav, FSO would use that as it has higher priority than the .vp version.  See this Wiki page.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Well as a bit of an update, I've tried the first beam weapon sound that I created and it seemed to work okay on the mission that the Psamtik first appears on (first mission after training I believe). I will try the slash and AAA over the weekend, but I believe that timings might need to be double checked and possibly some alterations to the sounds themselves... however, second opinions would be useful!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I was wondering... Did You see Iron Sky movie? Earth vessels from this movie use cannons with cool sounds that You may recreate.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
LMAO.. Iron Sky... that film was hilarious!

It's been a while since I watched it, but yeah I have seen it! I need to revisit a few of the other beam weapons still, it's just time being an issue atm! I will try and set some time aside at some point to watch the film again. But in the meantime I will find a tube vid of it and have a look!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I might need gauss cannon sounds of american "science ship" and particle cannon of M.I.R. Those are very cool weapon sounds and would be very useful.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
"Okay, did anyone here *not* violate the space weapons treaty?"

(Finland's ambassador slowly, sheepishly raises his hand)

:lol:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
"Yeah, beautiful..."

Or something like that. I was wondering about Iron Sky FS mod one day :p.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I think I could replicate the sound, but I would be thinking of something a bit beefier than what is used in Iron Sky. I'm yet to suss out the MIR particle cannon, as I'm just trying to find out which sound it is!

Edit:- Just found it now... reminds me a bit of the Death Star in terms of the shape of the sound. I reckon I could do something similar!

The gauss cannon will be relatively simple to recreate in terms of its architecture and being a single shot weapon. However, the particle cannon will be tricker as it will depend on if you want a sound constructed in the style of beam weapons, or if it is just going to be one whole sound for a weapon that only fires occasionally at massive targets to cause total destruction. So, please could you give me some specs on how dynamic you would like the sound in terms of whether the sound needs to vary its discharges or not?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:19:03 am by Gee1337 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Weapon with sound of MIR cannons will be triple beam cannon mounted on multipart turrets. It's going to have very short warmup and warmdown times. Looped part of the sounds will be played a little bit longer than GTVA beams. Actually it's not going to have warmup and warmdown sounds like MIR cannon, so only firing sound and loop are required.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:03:35 pm by Betrayal »

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I would recommend that you have a warm down sound for it. If you just rely on the end of the loop, I believe that the sound won't feel right. It would need some kind of release or the sound would just "cut" out and it would not feel organic enough.

EDIT:- I've just had an idea of the architecture of the sound you require. Going on the MIR beam, it would be loop first, then the shot!, but I believe you would still need some sort of release.

Are the beam lengths for this weapon going to vary? If not, then this would be all achieveable in one waveform. All I would need to know is how long you want the sound and when you want the shot to fire. I will do the separates for you though! :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:12:04 am by Gee1337 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You refreshed my memory :P

As I said. About beam sounds based on MIR cannon, I need it separate into 3-4 files like all beam sounds are and warmdown sound should be very short.
As for gauss cannon sound of american "science ship" it need to be just one, single file.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I just spotted this now Betrayal. I will see if I can set aside some time at the weekend to work on this for you... that is of course if my fiance doesn't try to dominate me too much with Valentine's Day.... stoopid Valentined grrr!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
So f**k valentine's day. Get drunk like a real man! Even if I had a girlfriend, I would not celebrate this. Modding is better :D

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I've recorded the sound of MIR firing and after listening and watching a few times there could be a fundamental problem for using it as a beam weapon.

The sound used in Iron Sky has quite a different structure to beam weapons in FS2. I can recreate the sound for you, but I don't think it could be used for a beam weapon as there is no "beam loop" for continuous fire, but if you want me to create a beam loop for the weapon out of my own creativity (please don't laugh) then I can do that for you.

The sound itself I will use samples for. To me, the build up of the cannon firing is similar to that of a jet engine spooling up, and the actual shot sounds like the Maxim cannon or the turret_t1.wav in sparky_fs2 vp.

Let me know what you want!