Author Topic: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread  (Read 120153 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Re: Official PCS2 Feature Request thread
if they have the original COB there is no point for them to load a POF in PCS2 and save it as a COB - if they have a PMF they don't need to...... looks like the only meaningful option is to  perform the generation... but i think i'll make it an optional (checkbox) on POF loading
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Any chance of a simplier turret naming layout?  With less "turret0X" all over.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Topgun

um, in POF's, is everything faceted or smooth or (smooth or faceted like in blender)?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
in POFs there is no smoothing data at all, it's totally decomposed into surface normals.
in order for Kaz to find the angle he'd need to, for every polygon, find the angle between every normal on that polygon and the normals on every other polygon that shared that point, and then he'd only get a guess, a _range_ of values that _could_ have been used to generate those normals, he'd then probly have to do a **** ton of comparasons between polygons to try and find the fewest sets of angles that would fit into this range, it would probably be a good guess on very complex models, but I can almost garentee that you'd end up with totaly diferent groupings of polygons in the materials it generates.

now, we could cach the data in some extra chunck that would get ignored by FSO, or we could use a trick I've been itching to use for a while were we tack data to the end of a polygon, and just set the offset and size values of the subchuncks so this data exsists outside were FS would look, but still somewere easy to find.

but realisticly, the best option for now would probly be to check if a polygon is full-smooth, or flat, if it isn't either it's auto-faceted, and just use 32 as the angle (truespace's default) it'll probly be good enough most of the time.

oh, hey, kaz while you are tinkering with that code, there was something I wanted to try for a while, could you make it so that if the reflectance shader in the material used on a poly was 'translucency' then it would flip the lighting normals of that polygon? I think that could be used for some very neat efects.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:23:58 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
oh, hey, kaz while you are tinkering with that code, there was something I wanted to try for a while, could you make it so that if the reflectance shader in the material used on a poly was 'translucency' then it would flip the lighting normals of that polygon? I think that could be used for some very neat efects.

lighting and collision normals are the same

Offline Topgun

but realisticly, the best option for now would probly be to check if a polygon is full-smooth, or flat, if it isn't either it's auto-faceted, and just use 32 as the angle (truespace's default) it'll probly be good enough most of the time.

so there are smooth polys in POF's? just full smooth and totally flat? (Like in blender?)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
POFs have full shading - per-vertex normals so everything from faceted to full smooth and in between

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you could just generate a normal map for models converted from pof to whatever. actually scratch that, it would just screw up on cap ships which use alot of tiling and thus shared uv space.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 03:05:36 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
lighting and collision normals are the same

nope, the normal used for colision is the per poly normal, the vertex normals are used only for lighting.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

so there are smooth polys in POF's? just full smooth and totally flat? (Like in blender?)

it would be easy to see if a poly was (past tense, ie in the cob) fullsmooth or full flat or somewere in between, it would not be easy to tell were in between it was cause polys do not have smoothing data.

if it was flat all vertex normals would be the same as the face normal, if it was full smooth the vertex normals would all be in the average kocation for the poly normals that use that vert, if some were the same as the poly and some were in the average locaton then that poly would be autofaceted.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
some polies also have the capability to be neither - some vertices could be faceted while others are smoothed, but based upon the modeler's desire not an autoangle (atleast [V] models may be - i'm not sure of 3DS, or the [V] POF converter's, capabilities)

bob: i am thinking it may be time to define OBJ3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i know what i'll do - PCS2 nor FS2 needs to know the autosmooth data - both use the vertex normals for lighting.... when you go to save to .scn it'll do a full smoothing calculation and reverse engineer it - here is how I'll do it.

Make a list of all unique points present in the subobject mesh
Compile a list of all polygon normals for polygons sharing that point
iterate across all polygons and their verticies - check if all points no-smoothed, check if all points full-smoothed, calculate smoothing angle for all points - use smallest angle as autofacet angle (if a check succeeds, skip the rest).
Record result in PMF
write to SCN

that recording result in PMF is important - because then you can save the PMF and keep the smoothing data.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it might help things run a bit faster if (assumeing you simply didn't mention this cause it's sort of obvius) you worked on all polys that share a texture, and did one texture at a time, rather than all polies at once, it would reduce the complexity of the numerous comparisons.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
it might help things run a bit faster if (assumeing you simply didn't mention this cause it's sort of obvius) you worked on all polys that share a texture, and did one texture at a time, rather than all polies at once, it would reduce the complexity of the numerous comparisons.

yeah.. but what if you want to smooth between those textures

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, the thing is, if they are diferent textures then you know they were diferent materials, and the auto-facet angles should be independent (though they will likely be the same, and they will also likely be 32)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
true

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I just thought of something, you could add into the options a check box for fast model loading, and if it's checked make sure the user know this means auto-faceting will be disabled. so if someone just want's to quickly import to screw around with a wip model, they can without haveing to wait through the blarg of auto-facet calculation.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Can I just throw in that an option import 3DSMax ASCII files would still be awesome. They have per-polygon smoothing groups stored in them and are relatively easy to parse.

Because all this work going into autofacet generation isn't really useful for models made in max.

Or alternatively, make a button that recalculates all the collision data for a loaded POF. That way we could fix those POFs that were generated with the Max exporter and now have holes in them.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Can I just throw in that an option import 3DSMax ASCII files would still be awesome. They have per-polygon smoothing groups stored in them and are relatively easy to parse.

format reference pls

Or alternatively, make a button that recalculates all the collision data for a loaded POF. That way we could fix those POFs that were generated with the Max exporter and now have holes in them.

the only reason that PCS2 doesn't already recreate the entire BSP tree already is it cache's the BSP - i can make a function to "Clear BSP cache" on a loaded model.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
what did you use to edit main_panel.cpp?! it's line endings are corrupt!

[edit]
had to clean the file, remove it from CVS and readd it with a clean copy
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:07:04 pm by Kazan »