Author Topic: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses  (Read 56919 times)

Offline peterv

Re: Inspiration - HTL Ulysses
Another thing - shinemap and glowmap are half the resolution of diffuse map. Why?

Especially on the case of shinemap, that's not very smartsince the lower resolution of the shinemap tends to wash out the detail in the diffuse map. And low res glowmaps just don't look good on top of higher resolution diffuse map either.

Cockpit map could benefit from higher resolution as well, but only marginally.

This is my fault actually as VA grabed it before i start working on maps. However, since i'm not the best texturer in the world (probably i am the worst) perhaps we can find somebody more skilled to fix it. :)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Hmm, it does indeed look like I forgot the normal map. :\ Well considering I was posting at about 3:30am, I'm a little surprised that's all I missed. ;)

Anyway, I think I might work on the texture a bit more before posting a new version, since it's a bit of a mish-mash of styles ATM, with a lot of misalignments and resolution differences between the pieces. I won't be redrawing the entire map though, (my favourite way of upgrading maps) since it will take too long.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Try this version: http://game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/MVP3610BETA/HTL_Ulysses1.1.zip

Has a normal map and somewhat better mapping. No match for a good redraw though.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
So, um, does no-one complaining mean that people are happy with the revision and it can go into the MVPs?

Or do people need piccies of the slightly moodier looking uly to jump-start things? :p

Twisted Infinities

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Somehow the current MediaVP Ulysses maps seem to be sharper than these...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I like this one.
Its dirty and gritty. It looks USED. Something that a great-war era fighter would probably be by the time FS2 takes place.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Somehow the current MediaVP Ulysses maps seem to be sharper than these...
The new ones are the MVP maps, just with peterv's added bits on top, and with more dirt......or you could also probably call it eyeliner. :p
Anyway - have a look at it in-game if you haven't already, because that's the bit that counts most in this case. Droid has the right idea in that it's supposed to look used.
Twisted Infinities

Offline peterv

Great job VA. Is it to much to ask you to convert a "holes" version as well? :)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Solid conversions are a lot of work (even if you have all the data already present) so I myself won't be reconverting for something like that. I can send you the source blend or generated COB files if you want though?

(Sorry if that comes across as gruff and dismissive - it's not meant to be, but I was up to roughly re-conversion #11 when I finally got it to that state due to problems with insignia and that cockpit transparency issue. Don't really want to do any more with it. ;) )
Twisted Infinities

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
the new uly looks great.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline peterv

Solid conversions are a lot of work (even if you have all the data already present) so I myself won't be reconverting for something like that. I can send you the source blend or generated COB files if you want though?

(Sorry if that comes across as gruff and dismissive - it's not meant to be, but I was up to roughly re-conversion #11 when I finally got it to that state due to problems with insignia and that cockpit transparency issue. Don't really want to do any more with it. ;) )

O.K. i'll use the pof file. :)

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Looking great as always, VA.

:yes:
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

just got it today (while waiting for MV-models to download for the old asteroids) and i LOVE it. someone needs to pdate the herc maps now though... this makes everything look really bad.  :p
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We have other priorities... like the Osiris. PeterV, can you try your hand at that? I think your style would work really well with it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline peterv

We have other priorities... like the Osiris. PeterV, can you try your hand at that? I think your style would work really well with it.

Promise, right after the Thoth :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Ooh. Maybe the Isis, as well? The three of those share a very similar style.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline peterv

As many as a i can before they put me back to mental clinic again :lol:

Offline eliex

I like the new Uly.  :D 
It looks battle-hardened.

Offline Topgun

I like it, a little to prominent but good.
I think we should make a separate one for the fsport. it's supposed to be a new fighter at that time and this beat-up uly doesn't fit. 

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I like it, a little to prominent but good.
I think we should make a separate one for the fsport. it's supposed to be a new fighter at that time and this beat-up uly doesn't fit. 

Or at least different maps...