Author Topic: How close are we to cutscene quality graphics?  (Read 6501 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
How close are we to cutscene quality graphics?
It really effects glow off of glowmaps more than anything else.  Right now they are all hard-edged, though the hope was to have that changed.  Perhaps overexposure could be calculated from exclusively the glowmap pass?  That would also prevent it from blurring out everything else.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Overexposure? you mean overbrightening? "Overbright bits" from JKA and "Dynamic Glow" are entirely different ball games...im referring to a dynamically changing rendered HALO that completely covers certain textures, and the halos can be any color...

Offline Falcon

Mirroring would be nice going by a ship and seeing your ship's reflection cast on the mettalic hull. Or shadows casting back upon themselves.  *starts thinking of the possibility of transforming the Unreal 2 enging to a Freespace RPG* That will be the day.

Offline Falcon

Originally posted by Setekh

I run FSAA at perfectly acceptable framerates. :p I like 640*480 AA better than 1024*768, even. ;)

Try 6x AA on 800x600 ;7

Does Freespace support Anisotropic Filtering?

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
AA? how do you run that? :scared:
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Falcon
Does Freespace support Anisotropic Filtering?

You can force it through the graphics cards options on some cards, but it's not nearly as noticeable in a space sim as in an FPS, IMHO. :)

Depends on your graphics card, Singh. On my GeForce, I can force hardware anti-aliasing by adjusting the card's global settings from the desktop. There's also an option for AA within the SCP launcher. :nod:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Setekh

You can force it through the graphics cards options on some cards, but it's not nearly as noticeable in a space sim as in an FPS, IMHO. :)

Depends on your graphics card, Singh. On my GeForce, I can force hardware anti-aliasing by adjusting the card's global settings from the desktop. There's also an option for AA within the SCP launcher. :nod:

an option in the launcher?? where??! I have a Geforce 5600 SE

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Speaking of in-game cutscenes. I have a game called "Starlancer" that's very similar to Freespace and has ingame cutscenes.

If anyone has it and knows how to hack into the programming, maybe they could see how the makers developed the scenes there and adopt the programming into Freespace 2.

But we could probably do some good ones now.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
A) everyone is very well aware of starlancer as it is only one of the very few space sims so it just seems weird how you are refering to it like it's some obscure thing

B) you have no idea how any of this stuff works do you? what you are sudjesting is that we decompile starlance and look at assembly code in order to figure out a structural feature, that's like looking at somethings DNA to try and figure out what it looks like when you could just as easily look at it and get as good if not better understanding. it's not how something is done else weare it how are we going to wedge it into our game that is the problem. think of the code as a car, if your alternater goes out in your car you can't just go out and get any replacement you need one made specificly for your car, if you just rip one out of a ford and try to jamm it into a honda your probly going to have some problems, if you ever do manage to get it to work odds are it's going to have a lot of duct tape and it's not going to be very stable. the same is true with programs, unless a bit of code is designed to work outside of a specific code base you can not simply cut and paste. I can tell you how starlancer made it's cutsceens, it had a complex camera and keyframe system integrated into it's low level object higherarchy system and spline paths and scripted events, does that help implement it into our game, no, becase we lack a means by wich to stop a game them move the veiw point (becase the veiw point in FS is basickly welded to the player object wich can't be changed easily in game) and have it follow a smoth animated path, we have however alowed for some mission hacking of the player's ship position and movement allowing mission designers to make basic cutsceenes...

C) hmmm... that came off a bit harsh, but I spent too much time typeing it to simply eraise it, I'm tired and cranky
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Singh

an option in the launcher?? where??! I have a Geforce 5600 SE

Right under your nose? ;)

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
you mean that is antialiasing? Everytime i use it, FS2 just goes all wierd and stuff O_o

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Could be a bug at your end then? Post up some pics in a separate thread and maybe people can solve if for you :nod:

Me, I leave it off.. my card can't really cope with it.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
k......will try. What is it supposed to do anyway?

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Makes the edges of objects appear smooth, where normally they're jaggey. Well, thats the basic visual idea.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
In response to Bobboau's comment

No offense taken :D, you are correct, i know jack all about programming, but give me a few years...

However, i was not saying copy and paste programming into another, do you really think i'm that dumb (if so, you're not alone in your belief :lol: ). But i thought it could be used as an example to guide people into constructing such a system for Freespace 2. However, you seem to understand what your doing, so i'll leave it to you.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Hey now, I already started a whole thread on that AA setting in launcher topic...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,22766.0.html
...you can't activate AA through the launcher even if the control panel is set to "application controlled" mode. however, if you activate AA through the NVidia control panel, you MUST ALSO set the LAUNCHER's AA setting to at least 2_SAMPLES or else FSO will screw up all the ingame fonts. Read the above link for complete details.

Singh if you haven't already started your own thread please use mine...thats what mine's for....

Originally posted by Gregster2k
Overexposure? you mean overbrightening? "Overbright bits" from JKA and "Dynamic Glow" are entirely different ball games...im referring to a dynamically changing rendered HALO that completely covers certain textures, and the halos can be any color...

Overbright bits is NOT the same thing as overexposure.  Overexposure gives a somewhat similar effect as light blooming.  If we were to use overexposure for EVERYTHING, bright objects will have a glow.
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Falcon

I only get the option up to 2x AA in the launcher so I just disregard using the option. I instead use a program called Radeonator. Good program if you ask me. I think they also have one for NVidia though Im not sure what it is called.