Author Topic: New music coming your way soon!  (Read 128302 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: New music coming your way soon!
Thanks for posting M3. I always particularly liked the battle 2 piece in that. This sounds way better than the original.

The waiting track also seems to have a different style than anything in the FS games, even more so than the beta mainhall one. I think I might actually be able to use that beta mainhall track as a briefing in one place.

There is a noticeable background hiss in M3 though. Some of the others you posted earlier also have a similar hiss, but it's not nearly as prominent. Maybe it's showing up more in this one due to the lossless compression. Goldwave's noise removal function with the "light hiss removal" preset gets rid of it, but I can't tell whether it's affecting the quality otherwise.

We actually already have the HQ versions of the battle parts of FS2 D and G (Numbers and Joshua), although they're mp3s and the quality is probably a little worse. I compiled them into single files some years ago.

Offline Shade

'Waiting' seems like it would be great for briefing/debriefing when you've reached a "The end of the world is coming and there ain't a damn thing we can do about it" sort of spot in a campaign. Conveys a great sense of hopelessness imo.

[Edit] Many, many thanks for putting up the m2 battle mix. Those tracks were (well, are) my favourite battle music in FS1 :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 04:47:35 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

I thought cinema2 always worked well in that situation. Like it did at the end of Derelict. Course, for it to really take effect, the briefing needs to be uber-long...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
My humble thanks for your work Nix. FS1 mainhall sound heaps better now.

As for little requests:

Cinema and Cinema2
Briefing1 (FS1)
M5 (FS1), especially the 'dead' part
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
There is a noticeable background hiss in M3 though. Some of the others you posted earlier also have a similar hiss, but it's not nearly as prominent. Maybe it's showing up more in this one due to the lossless compression. Goldwave's noise removal function with the "light hiss removal" preset gets rid of it, but I can't tell whether it's affecting the quality otherwise.

I've noticed this, and Dan said something about a hum too that probably only he could notice.  I don't notice a hum, but I notice a bad hiss around 8000Khz.  I tried Goldwave briefly, and about the only thing I'd use Goldwave for after my experience with that is to make vasudan voices with the mechanize function. Running it through the light hiss removal actually destroyed a lot of the audio.  After futzing around with various functions and stuff, Sound Forge has a paragraphic EQ function, which allows me to cut out certain frequencies.  I've been messing around with presets, presets from other sources and my own tinkering with the filters I can use, and each one allows me to remove the hiss, but it removes way more than what I want to remove, highs end up sounding muffled.  If I restore the highs, hiss comes back.  I doubt I'll be able to remove all the hiss and keep as much fidelity as possible.  What I'll probably do is a light hiss removal to keep as much of the high frequency elements, and keep as much of the music content in as possible.

Any musicians here who have other software besides Goldwave and Sound Forge (Using Sound Forge 8, full bodied version) that would come in handy here?  :confused:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I have been trying fiddling with some things in Goldwave but haven't been able to remove the hiss either without screwing up the highs too much.

I don't notice any hum, but the M3 hiss is fairly loud. See what happens if you put it into ogg format. That may have nothing to do with it, but it wasn't quite as bad in the oggs you posted earlier. The slight loss of quality with oggs may actually be having a good side effect here. :p

Well, CP5670, we can't exactly help the fact that FS1's sound samples are also, as I pointed out earlier, drastically inferior to FS2's. They have a bit of a weird hissing to every single sound they have and tend to sound "flat". Mission 2 and 1 have it as well, but not as loudly. *shrugs* If FS2 had hiss, that'd be a problem because FS2 sounds too rich to have any hiss. But FS1 can get away with it, as the sound quality isn't exactly supreme top notch anyway.

What the hell was the sound format in vanilla FS1 anyway? Microsoft ADPCM WAV files running at like 14K or something? I can't check at the moment. All i know is that it was extremely low. Same with FS2..

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:49:14 am by Gregster2k »

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Perhaps Dan knew that the final tracks would be in mono format anyway to save space, and recorded the tracks down the center channel.  With the exception of a few parts in M2, the entire M1 track, and other bits and pieces, the source files were mainly in in stereo with little stereo effects. 

The format of the audio in FS1 was ADPCM WAV, 11,025k, 8 bit.  I have 16 bit 44,100K uncompressed rendered WAV's running at 14K/sec, most of it is like that anyway.  Some FS2 material is only in 22,050K.

As far as the hiss goes on the tracks, I will perform a light cleanup, and post a comparison track to see if everyone approves.  If the hiss cutting takes out too much of the highs, then I just might leave them in thier original form, and it'll be up to others to modify it as they see fit.  I just hate to lose a lot of fidelity. 

Offline neoterran

What happened to these files !?! They're gone !  :(

Does anyone have a link or a mirror or some kind of explanation !  :eek:
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Yeah, I was about to ask the same thing. :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline neoterran

Oh well i guess i'll just have to wait until someone with the files wakes up from hibernation, which could be a long time :D
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Just wondering if anyone has bothered trying to write a score for the music?
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Here you go. I uploaded the files to QuickSharing.com. It's a single file 7zip archive containing all the music that used to be in the Nix's folder. Here you can find the file:

Download page. Even the Download button is clearly visible... Filesize is 125 MB, will be deleted after 30 days of not being accessed. That should do for the time being, I suppose.

:)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:50:44 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
So was the whole project completed or just thrown to the side?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, Nix's last active time is December 1st, so perhaps he just has some RL things to do. It's definitely not completed yet, but I don't think it has been "thrown aside"...

There could be many reasons to why the files aren't in his audio folder any more. Like, perhaps he had to free some quota for other files so he temporarily took the "appetizers" away. I know I've had to do that on my public html quota (which, on the other hand, is pathetically small at 60 MB soft limit).

I think that if the project was halted, he would've also updated his frontpage and announced that the project was no more, but that hasn't happened. I think it's best to enjoy what we've got, and wait patiently for news from Nix. While the waiting is going on, anyone who hasn't got the files can download them from here (link is also on my previous message, along with a better description):

http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/6148579/FS1_2_music.7z.html

Be strong in yer faith, brothers (and sisters). :)

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Nix got a one week temp-ban for ignoring Karajorma's request to not reply to Kazan. December 1st should be during or after that time, but I havent seen him post since. Im hoping he didnt drop this as a protest of some sort. :(
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

:( I hope he comes back soon!

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
He's updated his frontpage...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Would you mind getting rid of that scrolling **** in your sig? You might not realise it, but it's extroadinarily annoying. The same goes for the highlighting.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Fixed. :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."