Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675567 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: A celebration of Freespace
All I need now is some Square-Enix style ships to fire them!

Screw that, it's time for the Nanoha mod. We can do the magic circles now.
You know, I had exactly the same idea, some time ago, when I saw magic circle effects in JAD. I've even thrown together a little testbed under that name (though I never intended it to be a serious mod). Wanna cooperate on that? :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
this thread now has as many pages as the minimum processor required to run the original game
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Terran dropship or somekind of endo-exo atmospheric transport?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Terran dropship or somekind of endo-exo atmospheric transport?

More of a mini-carrier used by the GTVA's tradelane police. Primarily carries shuttles, but has the capability of taking a wing of light fighters too if need be.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
cool, love the idea
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
this thread now has as many pages as the minimum processor required to run the original game
Cheers for that
Habeeb it...

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
That's a really cool looking model. Also, I like the logistical probability behind it as well.  :yes:

Something easier to move around without taking an entire Carrier ship around systems that need some light police patrols, or something of that nature.
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Or you could send fighters! There is no need for a patrol ship when you can have fighter craft there in moments. The only "logistical" need for a patrol is the one we shoehorn in for gameplay shenanigans.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Note, in some universes fighters can't jump like in FS. I prefer having fighters take off from a carrier rather than jump in.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Or you could send fighters! There is no need for a patrol ship when you can have fighter craft there in moments. The only "logistical" need for a patrol is the one we shoehorn in for gameplay shenanigans.

Quote from: FS2 Tech Room: Subspace
Second, ships can jump from system to system via nodes. Until the Great War, only larger ships could generate sufficient power to use jump nodes. The development of jump drives for fighters and bombers in 2335 enabled the Galactic Terran Alliance to destroy the SD Lucifer in subspace. Producing these small jump drives is prohibitively expensive, so they are restricted to missions that require pilots to travel between systems.

Emphasis mine. These ships are designed to work around nodes and tradelanes, and may have to pursue vessels between systems. Fitting out every single fighter or shuttle with an intersystem drive wouldn't be practical, so small carriers definitely have a role in canon FS.

[EDIT]Also, in TI, we use the concept of "jump capacitors" as the primary restriction on travelling through subspace. Most ships have two, and either one can be used for inter or intrasystem jumps (assuming the ship is equipped for both). They can also be used in quick succession. However, once they're drained, it takes a relatively long time to recharge the capacitor for another jump. In that context, the addition of fighters to a carrier extends its subspace "legs" to, effectively, 4 jumps - which means it can pursue any two-capacitor ship even if its own capacitors were drained.

Moreover, a fighter/carrier combo means that a ship can pursue a scattering criminal convoy or pirate band in multiple directions, and keep eyes on them for subspace tracking - we've decided that while ships can be tracked through subspace, you have to observe them entering the vortex in order to do it effectively. Even without the subspace factor, scattering convoys would be a real problem.

So, within our context, and the broader FS canon, they really do make a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:47:06 pm by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Darius

Boss battle!

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
hahaha oh my ****ing god darius

i want to see a final fantasy parody campaign now

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
dafuq? Is this modelled? Or it's background? Or... What the hell is it? :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Either Darius is having too much fun with photoshop or we just got a sneak peak at BP3 :P

Thanks for the laughs.

Nice job getting the Eradica into FSO. :yes:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hahaha oh wow  :lol:
 :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

That is nice, Darius.  :)

Offline Darius

Yeah it took ages trying to find a working script to import the mesh. I'm happy now, I got my screenshot :)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.

Here's a nice little screenshot >.>
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.