Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 842712 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Wonderful model, glad to see more aerodynamics injected into the Herc III mesh. I think it's the best compromise between its maneuverability and loadout: it's no bomber, and it's no agile fighter either, but it fills the gap.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I agree with everything Battuta has said, given that I tried to say the exact same thing about the new HTL Perseus the other day as well.

One classic greebling technique is sandwiching high-detail, heavily greebled areas between smoother, lower-detail ones. You can see this on the Millennium Falcon, and it's also incredibly obvious on the classic Imperial Star Destroyer design:

This Herc 3 model, meanwhile, has no contrast at all: every single surface is greebled to the max. The whole model ends up looking flat and jumbled: there's no structure to the detail for the eye to read.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:36:02 am by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline mr.WHO

IMO it looks too overdetailed and to much visual noise overload - tuning down on texture and having more smooth surface would make it better.

Albeit it looks like the main issue is not model, nor texture, but actually ingame light in the screenshot.

I recall the very same issue was with new shots of EA ships.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It's the normal map, I think, that's the main problem. The render on the grey background looks fine, but the one in-game has the panel lines too accentuated/deep/wide causing them to draw too much attention and add too much noise breaking up the otherwise relatively flat surfaces.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
This Herc 3 model, meanwhile, has no contrast at all: every single surface is greebled to the max. The whole model ends up looking flat and jumbled: there's no structure to the detail for the eye to read.

I disagree with this, there's defintely areas of higher and lower detail and structure to the lines on the herc3. Certainly, there's room to go further with those qualities, and it's certainly more pronounced on the higher resolution textures in the render than in the game screenshots, but they are not absent in the game model and I think it's over blowing things to say they are.

Personally, the flow of some of the herc's broad shapes and details both aren't entirely my cup of tea. The slightly forward swept 'ribbing' details near the middle of the wings I think in particular breaks the shape up in a way that's harmful. But presenting that feedback in absolutes and in a way that implies Nyx doesn't understand some of the basics of visual design is unfair and unhelpful, IMO

I think the heightmap changes alluded to already could do wonders for the ingame version of the ship. For instance, check this out. The insets are wings from the F3 lab, and behind is the posted render.

The upper game wing has a much more unified visual to it already than the lower, because it's angled differently and isn't lighting as dramatic as the lower, while the lower's grooves are being highlighted so strongly it does start to look 'detailed to the max'. These grooves stand out more strongly here than the 'ribbing' details do, in fact, and they break up the shape a ton. A lot of them also do generally follow the shape, so it's not a completely chaotic unreadable mess, but it is busy enough that I find it a bit tiring to look at.

Now look at the same areas on the render. Those same panel lines are visible, and a bit more-so on the lower more dramatically lit wing there, but it's rather light and overall the wing is a relatively cohesive surface, broken up by a few notable features. The ribbing is very prominent in all angles compared to the panel lines. It still could be MORE cohesive, more smooth, and I'd probably prefer that, but I hope if you look at that render you can't say Nyx doesn't understand or apply these principles, they're quite clearly on display.

I'm all for being able to express negative opinions about people's art even if it's not refined artistically useful feedback, but let's try not to poison the well with hyperbole, please?
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I did post refined artistically useful feedback!

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I could contend that it could have been more refined, and if it was it probably would have come in three posts rather than eight, but that particular phrasing as meant to be directed towards the general HLP attitude towards negative feedback as a whole. Contextually it certainly can be read as a pointed rebuke, but it was not intended to be. Sorry about that.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I know it's been a while, but are there any plans to upgrade Nostos with these Super-Hi-Poly models?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I know it's been a while, but are there any plans to upgrade Nostos with these Super-Hi-Poly models?
Yes. Will happen.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
'When will then be now?'
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

"Soon."
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

"One, faraway day..."

I don't think he got the reference.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Uhmergherd princess vespa was so freaking hot.   ID4 president was never good enough for her.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I don't think he got the reference.

I watched Spaceballs probably over a dozen times but never in Eng so nope :(