Author Topic: A Present For You Mission Building Folk (Nebula Related)  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
A Present For You Mission Building Folk (Nebula Related)
Right! I'll be honest with all of you - I'm lazy. No suprise. However I do have something prepared to combat this issue... with the help of Kazan - though he doesn't know it.

These files allow you to randomly generate a background based on any of Lightspeeds nebula packs (A through E) based on catagory order. First things first:

Step One:
Download Kazans Alliance Productions FS2 Kit and install the Mission Background Utility.

Step Two:
Download Lightspeeds new nebula packs (1 to 5 currently) and install them as per his instructions. It's important that these files are not renamed for my mods to Kazans program to work. Follow Lightspeeds instructions and you'll be fine.

Step Three:
Familiarise yourself with this program, which allows you to save a lot of time and randomly generate backgrounds to your missions.

Step Four:
Download this file and become familiar with the instructions within.

Step Five:
Make use of files as you see fit. Load into FRED2 (SCP Varient) and tweak to suit tastes.

Note:
As it says in the readme I just changed a few pieces of text around - nothing particularly complex. True credit goes to Kazan for the background generation utility and to Lightspeed for his work on the graphics for the SCP.

Enjoy! :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Cool.

While I'm at it, I'll show my appreciation for yet another new smily:

:yes2::nod::yes:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Have you tried this yourself Thunder? Does a randomly generated pattern look any good? Cause I remember Lightspeed was compiling a list of the settings which would turn out a good looking nebula, to save people time.

Interesting...

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It does indeed compile excellent nebulae, an example is below. I should note that you may need to tweak things (it can be a bit "happy" on adding "main" nebulas which makes things really very bright. The star also has to be custom added as well as any planets).

I'm not saying this will turn things out perfectly, and obviously for a personal touch it's better to make your own. But for quick tests, placeholder backgrounds and so on - it's perfect. Especially since I've broken things down by color type.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
i dunno why, but i cant seem to use this utility. each time it asks me for the damn .lst files, but the files are right there in the directory!!!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
What .lst files does it ask for? You should only have four files in the directory:

FS2MBU3.exe
Nebulae.lst
Randseed.dat
Suns.lst

Anything else may screw it up.. make another subfolder and chuck it in there.

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
they got to be in the mission directory, i've been using this thing since for ever how ya think i get such good backgrounds just generate  then got into the mission and remove any or replace the ones you don't need
Roy Fokker
Mission designer for  Inferno and Wing Commander Saga

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Hehe I tried exactly the same thing a while ago. It looks pretty good sometimes, but sometimes it looks horrible.

It's good for a placeholder, but for best results, you'll still have to do it manually :doubt:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Couldn't you just git the "random" button a few times a get a decent looking one? The pic Thunder posted seems decent enough.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Rictor
Couldn't you just git the "random" button a few times a get a decent looking one? The pic Thunder posted seems decent enough.

"decent enough" is never "decent enough" for me :D

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Meh, I said it was good for placeholders, test missions and basic layouts. I never said it would make the perfect background you have in your mind ;)

sorry for being a total n00b here, but where do all those nebula extracted files go?  The images in maps or effects?  The tbl in tables of course.  What about the .fs2 files?
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
There should be loads of PCX and TGA files with my nebulae. Those go in /effects. Then theres a .tbl file which goes to tables.

And finally, there's the ".fs2" test missions which go in /missions

Originally posted by Kalfireth
Meh, I said it was good for placeholders, test missions and basic layouts. I never said it would make the perfect background you have in your mind ;)

I know what you said, and I agree. I was answering Rictor's post :)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Nice one, K! This is a great way to use the new stuff LS is putting out, and it uses the existing tools at hand. Well done.

Originally posted by StratComm
Cool.

While I'm at it, I'll show my appreciation for yet another new smily:

:yes2::nod::yes:

Heh, we had this a while ago, but I re-added it because I found a place where two thumbs up were really necessary. Glad you like it. :yes2:;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.