Author Topic: Decisions, decisions, decisions.....  (Read 555 times)

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Decisions, decisions, decisions.....
Right, here's the story:

My computer broke last year. I'm getting a new one now, as I'll have a fair wedge of cash available when I get my long-overdue rebate from the govamint in the next week or two. This will allow me to FRED for the projects I'm part of again, and let me play the stack of games that this machine can't handle (Far Cry, OpFlash, Vice City etc).

What should I buy?

I'm torn between getting a top-end Athlon XP system and an Athlon64 system. I'm not keen on Intel, because they're expensive. The machine will be used for gaming (mostly) and university stuff (mostly typing, possibly compiling/simulations/3D work/blah), so I want a powerful rig (gig of RAM at least, high-spec graphics card, etc), but I'm torn between grabbing the best of the current generation (XP3200, ATI 9800XT, etc) or going for a more future-proof option (A64, PCI-express, etc).

I'm looking to spend between six and seven hundred pounds on it (just the machine itself, no peripherals), maybe a bit more ( I need money for a new guitar as well though :D) and I'd like to know what you lot think. What do you recommend from this lot?

Athlon XP / 64 (also affects mobo choice obviously)
AGP 8x     / PCI-Express
R9800      / X800            / GF 6800

etc, etc.

I've got a case, optical drives and a HDD (SATA 160GB), so I just need the rest.

All suggestions will be most welcome (as long as they're not stupid:D). :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Well if it was me i'd defintly go for the althlon 64 i have seen and read good benchmarks on it esppically for the new higher end games out and comming out. And you can deifntly use the extra processing power for modeling too of course.

PCI-express has been proven to be faster and more relaible then AGP anymore. But I think ethier way won't make that huge of a diffrence. Thou i think PCI-express is getting more common it still may cost a bit more. Havn't acutally checked lately.

Hands down a GF 6800 now I should state first i'm bias when it comes to geforce cards even thou radeons are decent there drivers issues have plauged them forever. Also if you want to look at say doom 3, the 6800 beat it if i rember correctly I belive you can find a link to thoese tests on the doom 3 site but I can't recall.

These are as I said what I would do if I could *god knows I really need too* but also based on my own experince, i've been well stuck realy without the cash with my athlon 900, my agp 4x Geforce 2 MX 32m DDR and it's lasted so far *at least 3-4 years* the only games I can't run very well is splinter cell and farcry *and of course doom 3* they run there just a pain to play *heh*

But the choice is yours. Have fun, i'm envious :D
Quickshot14's Domain (QSD)
qsd.xpi.org.uk
Also Home Of Quicks Mix Radio!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I suggest building it yourself.

Athlon 64s in Britain Athlon 64 Mobos in Britain
DDR RAM in Britain
Radeon x800 in Britain
Geforce FX 6800 in Britain
Audigy 7.1 in Britain
DVD/RW drives in Britain
Serial ATA drives in Britain

Other periphreals to suit.  I would rather have the 6800 over the x800 but I'm a bit of an Nvidia fanboy.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...

Offline Grey Wolf

Well, here's a few lists of suggestions:
PSU: Get either an Antec TruePower of 430w+, or that new Antec NeoPower.
Case: Either 2 120mm fan slots, or 4 80mm fan slots.
Motherboard (Socket A): KT600, NF2U400, or NF2-400
Motherboard (Socket 754): K8T800 Pro or NF3-250Gb
Motherboard (Socket 939): K8T800 Pro or NF3-250 Ultra
Processor: AXP 2500+ (Barton, A), A64 3000+/3200+ (Newcastle, 754), A64 3500+ (Newcastles, 939)
Cooling: Zalman 7000A AlCu, Thermalright SLK947, Thermalright SLK948, Thermalright SP-97
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
the Radeon x800 uses a LOT less power than the GF FX 6800. Unless you want to have to end up getting a 500+ watt power supply, go with the X800.

Oh, and the AXP's are pretty much a dead end line. I'd recommend the A64.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
athlon 64 naturally
I hate My signature!

Offline Arc

Athlon 64, but make sure you get the right one. There's Socket 754 and Socket 939 formats. AFAIK you definitely want the 939 format and you'll need to choose your motherboard accordingly.

Athlon 64 sounds better, and it's what I'm getting :)

I suggest a Radeon, but mainly from the size of the card/fan and out of fanboiishm.  I myself am going for a 9800, but only because I don't have the cash to go bigger.

Lot's or RAM, it's easier to put it all in in one fell swoop then keep updating.

As for a mobo, PCIE seems to take it's time, but that's your choice.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Cheers for the advice! I'll have to look into motherboards - not sure what's best at the moment...

EDIT: OK, been doing a bit of research, and I've decided on this:

Athlon 64 3500+ Skt. 939 (I'd have the 3800+, but it's over £400. That'd mean I'd have to get a crappy graphics card....)
Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
1GB DDR RAM
HIS Excalibur X800XT Platinum Ed. IceQ II (has a more powerful cooler thingy than standard, and is stupidly fast. Not to mention a lot cheaper and quieter than a GF6800 Ultra)

Wotcha think?

I thought I might as well splash out on this a bit, as I'm not going to get another guitar after all - I wanted a Gibson Explorer, but they're close to £1000 now, so I can't afford it. Hence the frankly ridiculous graphics card....

Anyhoo, I'll be ordering the bits over the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 01:32:18 pm by 853 »
Any fool can pull a trigger...