Author Topic: Warp effect  (Read 2815 times)

Offline sabaoth

Hello...  I had installed this mod with FS2 a couple of months ago, and I remember
how the warp portals had this really nice shimmering effect that I came to admire whenever
a ship would jump in or out.  Sorry if I'm being really picky here, lol, but I just downloaded and
installed version 3.6.8, including the Adv. Effects media pack, but my warp portals look like this..
(I know..  I'm really picky..  but I loved those portals so much!  :P)

:edited:  Okay, I just went back and tried it under D3D, and it came up with this error

Error: bad DDS file compression.  Not using DXT1,3,5 cubemap.dds
File: D:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open\code\graphics\GrD3D8mpman.cpp
Line: 503
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Compared with the screenshot from 3.6.8, which shows a portal as I remember it being..

Specs:

AMD 64 3200+
1024 MB Corsair XMS3200
ATI Radeon X800XT PE

I'm running it in OpenGL @ 1280x1024, but it looked the same in D3D...
I have the 3d warp effect and flash turned off.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 03:25:17 pm by sabaoth »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I wouldn't bother with D3D. It's pretty severely broken at the moment. Don't use it unless OpenGL doesn't work for you.

As for the warpmap. What you should do is get hold of an old media VP file that had it and extract it. Once you stick it in the right place it will override the one in the current VP files and you'll get the old effect back.

Not certain where you'd find it but my guess would be in mv_effects.vp.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I think the shot of the erinyes warping out was in fact with the 3.6.7vp's. That's the only set with the shimmering water type of warp out effect. People changed it because it didn't seem freespacey or subspacey or "portally" enough. So they changed it.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
I think the shot of the erinyes warping out was in fact with the 3.6.7vp's. That's the only set with the shimmering water type of warp out effect. People changed it because it didn't seem freespacey or subspacey or "portally" enough. So they changed it.

yeah they were 7's. the hollow thruster effects weren't fixed till 3.6.8.

I wouldn't bother with D3D. It's pretty severely broken at the moment. Don't use it unless OpenGL doesn't work for you.

As for the warpmap. What you should do is get hold of an old media VP file that had it and extract it. Once you stick it in the right place it will override the one in the current VP files and you'll get the old effect back.

Not certain where you'd find it but my guess would be in mv_effects.vp.

:nod:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline sabaoth

Ah..  roger that...  thanks for the replies  :)  *is now tweaking his install*  lol
I liked the higher res look of that effect..

Offline neoterran

There is a new warp effect in this forum in another thread called playing around with the warp effect.

It's the best warp effect i've seen so far...
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"