Author Topic: Linux and Freespace  (Read 4343 times)

Offline DuncanF

• What makes a man is not who he is,but what he does
Was just curious which distributions of linux people use who are involved with the SCP.  Sorry if this is deemed slightly off topic, last time I tried working with Freespace in linux the distribution I was using at the time was too far out of date to compile.
Until Next,
Duncan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I use Kubuntu (64-bit). The main thing is making sure you have all the libraries that you need...people have gone through the code and updated it in many cases to work with all the various iterations of Linux's GCC, or at least a number of the most common ones.
-C

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn.

I'd recommend a Debian based distro, X/K/Ubuntu, MEPIS, Kanotix, ect... as they have the easiest packaging system to use I've seen... just get the packages configure says you need and you should be fine... I don't remember what all you need, but there's seven or so you'll need.

Offline DuncanF

Well decided to go with 32 bit Kubuntu 6.10, as I was messing around with 64bit but I don't need it and the performance increase isn't worth some of the hastle for me at the moment.  What is the most stable build for linux at the moment as I see that 3.6.9 isn't out yet.
Until Next,
Duncan

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Better to build it yourself.

apt-get install cvs
apt-get install automake1.8
apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
apt-get install g++
apt-get install libtheora-dev
apt-get install libvorbis-dev

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/home/fs2source/cvsroot login
cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/home/fs2source/cvsroot co -r fs2_open_3_6_9 fs2_open

cd fs2_open
./autogen.sh
make

Grab the binary => /code/fs2_open_r

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I successfully compiled it on Gentoo without any problems.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline ni1s

I successfully compiled it on Gentoo without any problems.
Same here. And also, with Gentoo, you don't need to bother with these development packages. It should be noted thou, Gentoo is a niche distro, catering to control freaks. I wouldn't advice anyone new to Linux to start with Gentoo.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the fs2_open on Linux wiki article.

Using Gentoo 64 bit too, works like a charm.
I remember playing Freespace on a 200Mhz MMX Pentium many years back and I am back playing it since I knew it works in Linux :)

Offline DuncanF

Well it compiled fine, however when I put the binary in the freespace directory it just flashes to a black screen then closes.
Until Next,
Duncan

Offline ni1s

Well it compiled fine, however when I put the binary in the freespace directory it just flashes to a black screen then closes.
What did it write to console?

Offline DuncanF

I got it working, I was being silly and trying to launch it through the GUI, works fine through terminal.
Until Next,
Duncan

Offline ni1s

I got it working, I was being silly and trying to launch it through the GUI, works fine through terminal.
It's easier to have a litte bash script that deals with all the settings and whatever env variables you might want.
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
CMDLINE="-bla bla bla"
./fs2_open_r ${CMDLINE}

Offline DuncanF

thanks everyone, got everything working except that my game isn't generating an ini file even f I launch it as root.
Until Next,
Duncan

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
You mean it didn't create the ~/.fs2_open folder?

Offline ni1s

thanks everyone, got everything working except that my game isn't generating an ini file even f I launch it as root.
If you launch the game as root, which you should never ever do, it should create a /root/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini ( and some other stuff in there ). As a normal user, it's /home/you/.fs2_open.

Offline tracker

all good Ubuntu Dapper 6.10

Offline DuncanF

Had to mess with a couple permissions but now it's working perfectly, thanks for all the help.
Until Next,
Duncan