Author Topic: Associated command line for the no ligthing flag  (Read 1703 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Associated command line for the no ligthing flag
Hi all,

I discovered in the F3 ship room that using the "no-lighting" flag could bring some awesomeness to ships poorly made (uv mapping problem or mesh problem or too low poly, etc...).
So using it with post processing, I got a double combo. However, I don't know the exact command line to add into the Launcher.

Does this kind of command line exist for this flag ? And how to use the "no-lighting" in other case if there isn't any command line ?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Associated command line for the no ligthing flag
There is no way currently to use the "no lighting" part of the render pipeline in-game, except for skybox models.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Could we expect an update to the current engine to support such function for in-game use in futur builds within command line ?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Probably not as a commandline. As a sexp or ship flag, maybe but otherwise? Rendering an object without lighting rarely improves said object, not to mention that specular effects and normal mapping depend on lighting being present.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Actually I use some ships where I messed up with the shinemaps and the normal map (generated by some tools, but don't remember the name) and the actual render in-game isn't as good as the original ship used in other video game. The no lighting flag coupling with post process improve a lot the model.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I should say that the real fix would be to fix the broken model, not reduce the overall render quality. There are a plethora of tutorials available, as well as several people on this very forum who can tell you what is wrong and how to fix it.

Actually I use some ships where I messed up with the shinemaps and the normal map (generated by some tools, but don't remember the name) and the actual render in-game isn't as good as the original ship used in other video game. The no lighting flag coupling with post process improve a lot the model.

You should be able to get a similar effect by just removing the shine- and normal maps in that case, AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) "no lighting" only uses the diffuse map.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And, crucially, no lighting. Which will look weird in almost all circumstances.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
You could get the same effect by using the diffuse map as a glowmap, since glowmaps are just rendered in full brightness... aka no lighting.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
You could get the same effect by using the diffuse map as a glowmap, since glowmaps are just rendered in full brightness... aka no lighting.

Interesting. I'll see what I can get.