Author Topic: OT - Security Question  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
OT - Security Question
I have a friend who was experimenting with IE's Content Advisor, trying to see how effective it was at blocking certain sites. He wrote down the password on a slip of paper, which (apparently) got thrown away when he was cleaning up. The problem with this is that he put the settings at such a restrictive level that he can't even access Hotmail (considering the kind of spam that swamps people there, maybe it's for the best...).

Does anyone know of a way, besides formatting, to retrieve or remove the password?

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Perhaps it's in the registry - a lot of stuff is in there, this might be one of them...

Offline Anduril

Reinstall IE?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
My parents had this problem once before. I ended up having to reinstall Windows. Every reinstallation of IE picked up the old settings. I searched all the registry keys I could, deleting Content Advisor related ones. Nothing worked.

I recommend avoiding that Content Advisor 'feature' at all costs.

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
or just remember your damn password instead of writing it down
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
i beleive those IE settings are in a hidden-hidden directory (not just the -h attrib tag)

The only way you can wipe it off practically is a reinstallation of windows  

You could try searching the M$ knowledge base or a tech bb though.

------------------

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
you can just use Nutscrape

runs....
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hmmm... ok, thanks all. I guess I'll have to break the bad news to him... :-/

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by PhReAk:
you can just use Nutscrape
Get him boys!  

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Thunder:
Get him boys!  

Hey! Netscape 6.1 and 6.2 are quite good... If they were only able to be used as the rendering engine for other programs, like IE is...

------------------