Author Topic: Ground Armies?  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Don't beams go through shields also?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Vretsu

Yes, they do.

I'd imagine that the ground forces would still use kinetic projectile weapons. In the Fs1 Transport-boarding cutscene we see soldiers with heavy-caliber projectile weapons...in the Fs2 mainhall, we see guards with the exact same weaponry.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I think that infantry would still use kinetic projectile weapons as Vretsu said but armored forces would use energy weapons since they could carry something more damaging (ex:a big laser cannon).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe an extremely weak Subach or ML-16?

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Maybe an extremely weak Subach or ML-16?

Probably, they wouldnt be able to carry much but something like they could use. Now vehicles could probably carry a standard version of a Subach, maybe it would be an anti-infantry gun due to its high rate of fire.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
 tanks fire something like blobs or HE rounds?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
In the cutscene in Freespace 1 it almost appeared that they had full sized ML-16s attached to their exoskeletons.

Of course it would be impossible to get a sense of scale, and the lack of gravity would help.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
In the cutscene in Freespace 1 it almost appeared that they had full sized ML-16s attached to their exoskeletons.

Of course it would be impossible to get a sense of scale, and the lack of gravity would help.

How do you know if they were ML-16s?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

How do you know if they were ML-16s?
If you compare the rendering animation of the ML-16 in the tech room with what the guys were hauling around....same CGI model.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But whatever it fired didn't look much like ML-16 bolts.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
But whatever it fired didn't look much like ML-16 bolts.
No not really...my guess is that they had the 3d model lying around...and sized it appropriately for the marines.  Its probably a mini-gun :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Interestingly enough, the FS1 Flail is named the "Flail Rifle" in tables... now that'd be an excellent ground-warfare weapon, knocking Shivans 10 feet in the air.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Interestingly enough, the FS1 Flail is named the "Flail Rifle" in tables... now that'd be an excellent ground-warfare weapon, knocking Shivans 10 feet in the air.

At least now it would have a use. :P Vasudan infantry would probably be something heavier due to their size (like it says in their description) with better armor and weapons, terran infantry would have a hard time against them.

Also, due to the language barrier, intelligence gathering would be extremely hard.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

At least now it would have a use. :P Vasudan infantry would probably be something heavier due to their size (like it says in their description) with better armor and weapons, terran infantry would have a hard time against them.

Also, due to the language barrier, intelligence gathering would be extremely hard.

Why would the Vasudans have better armor and weapons?

Regarding language, they have automatic translator systems as seen during the campaign each and every time a vasudan speaks.

From the Reference Bible
Terran-Vasudan communication was relatively easy to establish, despite the fact that Vasudan vocal cords are unable to make the sounds needed to produce the English language (now refered to as “Terran Standard” by spacers).  This requires the use of small translational devices during any T-V exchange.  The speaker talks in a low tone near the “squawker” and it translates and speaks for the user in the desired language.  Small earpieces allow the devices to relay the opposite translations to the user.  While the squawkers work on both species, the Vasudans are typically the ones to wear the devices.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
With exoskeletons I imagine the strength difference between Terrans and Vasudans to be diminished somewhat.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Why would the Vasudans have better armor and weapons?

Regarding language, they have automatic translator systems as seen during the campaign each and every time a vasudan speaks.

From the Reference Bible
Terran-Vasudan communication was relatively easy to establish, despite the fact that Vasudan vocal cords are unable to make the sounds needed to produce the English language (now refered to as “Terran Standard” by spacers).  This requires the use of small translational devices during any T-V exchange.  The speaker talks in a low tone near the “squawker” and it translates and speaks for the user in the desired language.  Small earpieces allow the devices to relay the opposite translations to the user.  While the squawkers work on both species, the Vasudans are typically the ones to wear the devices.

I didnt knew that (concerning the language), guess I was wrong. About the armor and weapons, it like the wiki says about them: "Usually standing at least several feet taller than terrans, the skeletal looking vasudan frame conceals a powerful musculature", they're seem to be much stronger than humans wich could mean they would be able to carry heavier equipment (armor and weapons).

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
With exoskeletons I imagine the strength difference between Terrans and Vasudans to be diminished somewhat.

TV-Fite5.avi.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That guy was in a flight suit, not a marine exoskeleton. And one of the marines was carrying an ML-16.... Almost as big as Sandwich.