Author Topic: New Ursa Upgrade  (Read 7957 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Well, in this case we have some :v: concept art for reference.

Granted, the Jotun was based on this. But it clearly has a lot of elements that made it into the Ursa: The angular intakes on the front, the other set of intakes on the engines, the off-center triple-barreled gun... and big blocky missile pods.

Of course, this being your model, I'd say do whatever you think works best... seems to have worked for most of the other models you've made recently, despite the many pages of "OH NOES, YOU MADE IT ALL WRONG" comments in each and every thread  ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Also I think the gunbarrels are okay round (though I would prefer them triangular) but they need to be a little bigger.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Can't say a lot with what's displayed currently, but what little is looking pretty good so far.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
When dealing with a dam, however, curved surfaces are preferred. :p I like the idea of a landing fear structure, it has a lot of potential IMO.

Snail has a point.

Dams are curved because the load of water pressure is spread evenly on the surface.

Arch structure can withstand higher even load than a rectangular structure - this is why long bridges, aqueducts and viaducts and all vault structures utilize the arch form. Both suspended and non-suspended bridges are usually built with archs as the carrying structure - either a rigid arch that the walkway or driveway is laid on top of, or arcs of cables which suspend the bridge itself.

Shorter bridges can be built as horizontal beam bridges, but archs are required for longer bridges.

This is more about how objects of different shape handle when laid on a flat surface, so let's make an example.

Let's compare two objects made of thin metal: a cube of 1 m^2 volume, and a sphere of 1 m^2 volume.

Both objects are filled with water, making their mass approximately 1000 kg plus the mass of the metal itself.

The surface pressure between the cube and floor is 1000 kg * 9.81 m/s^2 / m^3, which is 9.81 kPa; By comparison, the ground pressure of a human is typically around 60 - 80 kPa while walking, more when running, and so the floor has no problems with this kind of stress. Furthermore there are practically no deforming forces subjected to the cube, so stress to the object itself is minimal.

On the other hand, surface pressure in the case of the sphere is infinite in case of ideal sphere, which means that the sphere will definitely distort at least some in order to get a non-zero contact area between the sphere and the floor. If we assume that the sphere deforms so that the round contact point is 2 cm^2 in area, that makes surface pressure as high as 49.050 MPa, which means that first of all the stress to the floor is higher, but also stress to the object itself is significant.

For these reasons, it would be best to use flat underside as the landing platform of an object as massive as an Ursa. Of course you could reduce artificial gravity on hangar decks but that'd present other complications, and any non-zero gravity will still mean flat underside of an object laid on surface will cause less stress on the surface and object both, compared to a case where the weight of the object is carried by smaller contact points.

I rest my case. :drevil:

Also, angular pods are a pretty distinctive feature of the Ursa. Smoothing it out might make it look subjectively better, but that'd be the equivalent of giving A-10 a facelift because it's so bloody ugly... and still calling it the A-10 afterwards. :p

Whatever you do, though, as long as end result gives same overall impression as the Ursa, it'll work out.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This looks great, though TBH, I'd like to see progress on the new Deimos, since it's current HTL has really bad texturing and in dire need of an upgrade.
Current HTL Ursa isn't very bad.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The Ursa is a FS1-era craft, designed in a hurry to carry the Harbinger bomb. It's a crude and efficient design. I think the style you adopted with the Medusa is much more suited for this craft that the one you've adopted for the Deimos. Curves will never fit the spirit of the Ursa.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
Herra Tohtori just lived up to his custom title. Very informative post, sir. Thank you.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
I will give a more definitive opinion once I see a little more progress, but for starters I think that concept art piece could be used to model the intakes that way.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
ITT - Structural mechanics

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
My opinion is that the overall blockiness should be retained, though some edge-rounding is not out of the question .
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Good job Hades so far  :yes:
 While I'm not up to redoing one of these Historical models, I thought about it just to learn how they are built 3D model wise. Cant wait to see more progress!

On a second note, where can I get a good render for my 3D models? I'm using Wings 3D, but also have Blender that I have not used yet. Is there a plug-in Render for it? Just askin!  :D

Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Hades, just an idea. Triangular gun barrels the cut to cylindrical at some point before the muzzle.  :)
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Good work on it so far, Hades :) Though I'd like to see the main missile banks remaining square as well, a slight bevel will do.

Could someone explain to me why triangular barrels would look cool? I'm not seeing that.

On a second note, where can I get a good render for my 3D models? I'm using Wings 3D, but also have Blender that I have not used yet. Is there a plug-in Render for it? Just askin!  :D

Blender can render by itself, no plug-ins required :P

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Because something about the triangular barrels on the current Ursa just looks good, maybe because the Ursa is very blocky and angular with very little rounded sections.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Hades, just an idea. Triangular gun barrels the cut to cylindrical at some point before the muzzle.  :)
That's kind of a cool idea.  Have just the base of them be triangular, then the main barrels be cylindrical.  It'd be a nice homage to the original shape. :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Triangular muzzle brakes would also be an acceptable option.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Yes I think that would look better, a cylindrical base and then ending in a triangular shape, with small cuts on the middle of each of the triangular faces.
el hombre vicio...