Author Topic: FSU's Post Processing Table  (Read 6833 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
FSU's Post Processing Table
I've been tinkering with it for a bit now, and these are my results:
Sobek;

With

w/o

Typhon;

with

w/o

Aten;

with

w/o

Vacshepsut;

with

w/o

Lucifer;

with

w/o

Thoughts? If you guys want more screens of different ships, I can get them.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Sab0o

Re: FSU's Post Processing Table
ugly as ****

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It's definitely...different and interesting, but I'm not sure if it should be default :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

It's definitely...different and interesting, but I'm not sure if it should be default :P
Mind elaborating?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

Might be a bit too strong. It looks good on the FS2 Zods, less so on the FS1 Zods, and the Lucifer just looks weird to me.
Something about them being too red (I know you turned up saturation, but did you specifically turn up red saturation more than everything else?)
(´・ω・`)

Offline Hades

Might be a bit too strong. It looks good on the FS2 Zods, less so on the FS1 Zods, and the Lucifer just looks weird to me.
Something about them being too red (I know you turned up saturation, but did you specifically turn up red saturation more than everything else?)
Nope. There's only one saturation value.

The problem I think it has is it does more for glows than on the actual diffuse or shine map, because notice how the Lucifer or Sobek's hull didn't change too much, while the glows went crazy (also notice how the glows bleed and 'shine' I guess? too damn much which is a thing to do with bloom itself)
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

I guess its because its blooming, then saturating the bloom...
(´・ω・`)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The problem with post_processing.tbl is that it only includes post processing effects that can be applied through sexps, effects such as bloom which are launcher controlled aren't in there. Which again means that like ambient lighting settings, they vary from one extreme to another. So it is unlikely that post_processing.tbl can ever be tweaked so that it satisfies vast majority of people as defaults, especially if you can't override these settings without table editing or sexps.

Personally I would love if it was possible to control how a mod looks and feels like, these including bloom and ambient lighting settings. Alas, it's not possible to force any settings or even set defaults for settings that aren't in post_processing.tbl. It has long been said that a mod settings tbl file or something similar should address this problem, but nobody has really began to tackle the issue yet. But I suspect that kind of setup would not only require a new tbl, but also redesign of how launcher works, because there has to be settings that user cannot change and settings that are set as default but user can change.

Even so, I doubt mediavps could ever force any settings and setting defaults would only result in more or less people moaning and whining. When it comes to mediavps, you can hardly ever win.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Exile
Hades + PP = apocalypse O___o
Freespace is not as colorful as you want it to be. Shell of the Aten is looking like patent wood. I think default settings should be a bit more darker than your settings, very close to FS without PP. Leave people an option to make freespace as they want it to be.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Guess I'm the only one that will ask how many ships full of kittens do I have to sink to get those settings.

Also, please throw me a Kato and a Narayana?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:03:38 am by Jellyfish »
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Glow maps get a lot of energy in your version, check the sobek or the lucy for instance. The irradiation those glowmaps give away is just too much for my taste.
It's probably related to the saturation levels, try reducing that maybe it will help.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Guess I'm the only one that will ask how many ships full of kittens do I have to sink to get those settings.
You're not only one. I like Hades' tweaks too, even the Lucifer. The problem is that they cannot be overridden by user unless you create your own tbm or tbl, which makes a post_processing.tbl that changes look of the game really hard to bundle with mediavps.

We seriously need that feature that gives us the ability to force features on/off and set defaults which can be changed by users via launcher. Obviously mediavps probably wouldn't use the force part, but a lot of other mods, especially total conversions would.

Offline Droid803

TBH, there needs to be ways to modify these settings in options...cause that's where they belong >.>
(´・ω・`)

Offline Hades

Hades + PP = apocalypse O___o
Freespace is not as colorful as you want it to be. Shell of the Aten is looking like patent wood. I think default settings should be a bit more darker than your settings, very close to FS without PP. Leave people an option to make freespace as they want it to be.
Cool story bro. (also there's always the option to have it look how they want it to, by overriding the file, which I don't think is ideal, because frankly, there should be better ways, but w/e)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:24:14 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

Glow maps get a lot of energy in your version, check the sobek or the lucy for instance. The irradiation those glowmaps give away is just too much for my taste.
It's probably related to the saturation levels, try reducing that maybe it will help.
I know. I really don't like it coming out red on the Sobek, but there's really not much I can do about that. For the Lucifer, it is a bit overdone, but frankly, I think it does help give it a nice, eerie and demonic look.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:11:31 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

tbh, I'm not a fan of making this a default for post-processing. There are people who think desaturation looks nice and those who think oversaturation looks better. It's pretty hard to slap down a subjective art direction that strongly favors one camp.

(also, post-processing looks can be heavily influenced by lighting flags. I noticed that my own post-processing settings sucked really badly unless my lighting flags were set a specific way)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to add tab and a set of slider bars in the launcher. (I say with only the most basic programming understanding)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The problem with a launcher-based setting is that Post-Processing isn't a command line setting, but a table-based one.

Where should the resulting tbl end up ? In Freespace2/data ? Not only wouldn't it work because other mods applied would override it if they have their own tbl, but putting stuff in Freespace2/data is EVIL.

In the selected mod then ? Then what will happen if the mod isn't VP'd and there is already an existing post-processing table ?

As you can see, the launcher isn't an adapted place for table-based stuff, given the way FSO's mod hierarchy works.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The Hades update doesn't look that good IMHO. Sobek is red, not pink, Lucifer is too red, Typhon is oversaturated, etc. I think you used too much overall saturation.