Author Topic: Need help with a galaxy background  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Need help with a galaxy background
Well, Aldos request for background creators has inspired me to try and make a few backgrounds myself, and I've gotten this far on a spiral galaxy

But obviously that's not going to work due to the shape. What I was hoping to find was a way to get rid of the crappy bits around the end and get rid of that horribly sharp circle, without making ittoo sharp. I'm using PSP 7, but might be able to adapt some PS techniques. So, any suggestions?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Riven

how about a bit of gaussain blur? does just about anything! I suggest just selecting the edge tho. Great galaxy though, really cool:yes:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Either get something with a particle gen, or get the Universe plugin. Or do pretty much everything by hand. I don't use PSP, and I doubt my Photoshop shortcuts would work for you, so them's your options.

Or make it a much thinner, flatter sunburst with two or four rays, and then swirlie-thing it.

Tooo   Fast.... Can't hang  .. On...

:eek: :shaking: :sigh: :eek2: :nervous: :mad: :confused:

obviously this race has no technolody to speak of cause they can never sit down and BUILD anything!
   :lol:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Originally posted by Star Dragon
Tooo   Fast.... Can't hang  .. On...

:eek: :shaking: :sigh: :eek2: :nervous: :mad: :confused:

obviously this race has no technolody to speak of cause they can never sit down and BUILD anything!
   :lol:

What? :confused:

:blah:

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I use PS6.1 so assuming you have the tools it might work...

You can either use the Lasso tool to cut out the edges and create the galaxy effect, then you can blur filter on the image or zoom filter to change prespective slightly, you can even use the blur tool.

no other ideas yet... :D

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
I have no clue how to render anything so this won't be very helpful, but spiral galaxies always have distinct arms protruding from them, rather than just an elipse.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I know. That's the point. I need a way to get rid of the circlyness. Which I have sort of done...maybe. I tried some of the suggestions, didn't get too far, then I sort of started guessing, and came up with this

Which, in case you're interested, was done by flood filling the entire image with black, set on burn, with an opacity of 22%. It's not perfect, but it's a definite improvement over my last two galaxies. What do you think?
Rarely Updated P3D.

Better, though I still get a sense of immense speed from it. Also it occurred to me that it looks like a Galaxy in the beginning stages (all gaseous and nothing formed yet)...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...

:D Don't know why i posted it, just for the hell of it :D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I would say talk to Psycho, because he's reeeeal good at it, but alas, he's busy with DoE, the 'Bastonian Too', and some side projects me and him fool with... Keep trying, is all I can say... :-/
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Riven

wow, looking good. How did you do the galaxy to start with though?

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
That looks good, BlackWolf.  Personally, I've gone over to using actual photographs to make backgrounds.  Editing one well enough produces results like this (screenshot1 and screenshot2) and this (screenshot3)  (Note that these are on angelfire, so right-click, copy and paste the address to get to them.)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Real NASA photos are probably easier, but they sort of look...messy, if you know what I mean. I think it may be the 256 colours, or the fact that they're always stretched. Are those 256x256? You can crank them up to 512x512 and possibly 1024x1024, but that's untested.

As for making it, I mostly used Axion and twirl, to varying degrees, and over and over again. That's probably where the speed is coming from :D. I got the colours using one of PSPs photo correction tools, Automatic colour balance at about 8000K. The shape was originally Circular, and made oval using various perspective tools when I was satisfied with the overall effect. As mentioned earlier, Burn at 22% got rid of the circular outline.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
OK, now this is irritating. I made it, pcxified it and put it in game. Everythings fine in FRED, I load it up in FS2 and bang -

Grey lines? Now I know there are no Grey lines on my picture (I've been over it with the eyedropper tooland everything), and yet here they are...does anyone know why? This is really irritating considering the trouble I had making it look even vaguely acceptable.

[EDIT] Just realized, they're quite faint on the jpeg, but very noticeable in game. You can see them on the jpeg though...

:mad:
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Look at the sides of the second image you posted here at HLP, that has grey lines on the side too.

Just delete the grey spots from the image and it'll work right.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Grey lines can be fixed by using a brush and paint them black.

But it usualy means that the thing inside the canvas is to big.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Real NASA photos are probably easier, but they sort of look...messy, if you know what I mean. I think it may be the 256 colours, or the fact that they're always stretched. Are those 256x256? You can crank them up to 512x512 and possibly 1024x1024, but that's untested.

They look a bit messy in those shots because of the JPEG compression.  In-game they are absolutely stunning.

471*471 pixels and 451*451
« Last Edit: September 22, 2002, 09:31:42 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Ace
Look at the sides of the second image you posted here at HLP, that has grey lines on the side too.

Just delete the grey spots from the image and it'll work right.

I'm a moron. I must have been going over the wrong version or summat. Anyway, all fixed now, and it looks acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Thanks everyone :).
Rarely Updated P3D.