Author Topic: It's been so long...  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Wraith

Hey guys, long time no see. I come back and the FS crowd is yet smaller still. I'm glad to see this site still appears strong, although. ;)

The other day I tried to play FreeSpace 2 again... I hadn't in a long while. To my utter dismay and complete despair, I could not. It will not load. I seem to have all necessary files and such, I moved all non-essential files, yet still nothing.

I would reinstall, but for this: it seems I have misplaced my installation disk. I tried to replace it by going to my local game stores. Such a sad world without FreeSpace 2. Is it possible that someone could send me the image file for the installation disk? I have the two play disks, just need the first.

Thank you all so much.

-- Wraith
Ingen orsak.

Well, I need the second disk.  Think we can work out a trade of some sort?
Can the reason that we fear the unknown be that we know ourselves too well?       -The Outer Limits

<*)}}}><  HAPPY FISHIE!!

Offline Wraith

Thanks Demon. I sent you a message.

-- Wraith
Ingen orsak.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
*overhears conversation*
*sits back with popcorn to await hammer of justice to come slicing down on people talking about image files* :p
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by vyper
*overhears conversation*
*sits back with popcorn to await hammer of justice to come slicing down on people talking about image files* :p

Not gonna happen - FS2 is freeware, remember? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline RandomTiger

Since when?
Does that mean we can disribute FS2 seperately or even as part of something else?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Read the license agreement when installing the game and tell us what you see. :D

Offline Solatar

Yeah, I just told you guys about that part about a week ago, and you are already giving out fs2. Anywho, freespace2 isn't freeware, its shareware.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Hades
Yeah, I just told you guys about that part about a week ago, and you are already giving out fs2. Anywho, freespace2 isn't freeware, its shareware.

What a load of crap. It's neither.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Solatar

Well mister smarty-pants, then what is it?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by karajorma

What a load of crap. It's neither.

Read the liscence agreement shown before installation of the game. FS2 is freeware for friends and aquaintances, as long as you are not making a profit off of it. Seriously! :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Solatar

Okay, someone tell me both definitions of Freeware, and Shareware. As far as I know Shareware has to be bought, but it can then be distributed. Freeware is given out free, and none makes any money off it. I think fs2 is shareware because we paid for it, but we can give it to people. Volition made money off of it.

But heck, I'm probably wrong.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Hades
Okay, someone tell me both definitions of Freeware, and Shareware. As far as I know Shareware has to be bought, but it can then be distributed. Freeware is given out free, and none makes any money off it. I think fs2 is shareware because we paid for it, but we can give it to people. Volition made money off of it.

But heck, I'm probably wrong.

Nope. Shareware is software that can be distributed for free but which you are expected to pay the author for if you like it and use it often. It has many offshoots which don`t ask for money (postcardware, chocolateware etc). Shareware is often crippled in some way until payment is recieved.

Freeware is where the software can be distributed for free. It is never crippled and must not be charged for.

As you can see, since you paid for FS2 before playing it can`t be shareware or freeware.

After the release of the source code a lot of people have assumed that since the source code has been released the entire game must be freeware. If you believe that I`d suggest you write a letter to interplay stating something along the following lines

"Dear Interplay

Since FS2 is no longer commerically available and the source code has been released I have decided to offer copies of the CD's to anyone who asks me for one at a no cost basis (charging only for media and postage and packing)."

Your feet won`t touch the floor! :D

FS2 exists in a grey area at the moment. Though the source code has been released. The rest of the game files still carry their copywrites. However no one has been cracking down on the distribution of these files so you maybe able to get away with it.
 FS2 is in pretty much a similar boat to most rom files from old consoles. Although you might be able to get them from the net it is still illegal to do so, even though the chances of anyone caring are pretty small.

But one thing FS2 most definately is not is Freeware. Don`t believe me? Look at the list of things you`re not allowed to do with it instead.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2002, 06:27:27 pm by 340 »

Offline Solatar

Thanks for clearing that up. I also do agree with your letter idea. I'm not sure how much mail they read though. I wrote an e-mail to them asking them to put HLP on their links section on Freespace2.com, also it had a little hint of stuff we are doing.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Sandwich

Not gonna happen - FS2 is freeware, remember? ;)

There's been too many arguments about this for me to actually remember! :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Here, for your benefit. Someone should add this to the HLP FAQ.

Originally posted by daveb
I have no idea what the wording of the agreement intends. And I'm not a lawyer.

However, common sense dictates it would be a very very stupid thing to do to post the game data or executables (that is, those that come with the game).

As for the source code being "open source" - I don't even know what open source means. What you can do :

- pass the source code and any utilities or other goodies generated from this around on a hobbyist basis. You need to make sure any source code needs to contain the license agreement/notice in all the files.

What you cannot do :

- profit in any way shape or form from the source code or parts thereof. That includes derived executables, sections of code brought into other codebases etc.

Basically, you can't make any money from it, or use it in any commercial form. Its for fun only.

From the Licencing agreement
You may make copies of the Software for your personal noncommercial home entertainment use and to give to friends and acquaintances on a no cost noncommercial basis.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by karajorma
As you can see, since you paid for FS2 before playing it can`t be shareware or freeware.

After the release of the source code a lot of people have assumed that since the source code has been released the entire game must be freeware.  

No no no, silly! :p I'm not talking about anything related to the source code at all - I know better than that. Read the liscence agreement when you install the game for yourself if you insist, but GE's quotes are completely true/accurate: the first one is what DaveB wrote in response to the second one being discovered.

Basically it allows for complete copies of FS2 to be distributed to firends and aquaintances as long as no money is charged. So as far as HLP is concerned, I'd say that we would not allow any public links to .ISO's of the game, as that would be opening it up to the worldwide public, far beyond what the liscence states is allowed. But if you know a forumite who is in need of the game - especially, as in this case, someone who just needs the install disc or something - I don't see anything wrong with sending him a link via PM or something.

Of course, all this is based solely upon what the FS2 liscence says; if Volition/Interplay people issue a statement satisfactorily explaining and/or negating that part of the agreement, then we're back to square one. Either way, this only pertains to FS2, so no bright ideas! ;)

Hmmm... speaking of which, can anyone reinatall FS1 and check if that has a similar clause in the liscence?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I know. I've read the post about that clause. But my point is that even that clause doesn`t make FS2 freeware cause there are restrictions as to who you can give copies of the game to.

Freeware has no such restrictions.

If FS2 was freeware you wouldn`t be hesitating about putting up an .iso image of all 3 disks.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Heh, should've kept that popcorn... ;)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
ER...as far as I understand, it's the source code that's free to distribute, NOT the actual game media (animations, art, etc).