Author Topic: DX8 branch need help  (Read 18045 times)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
CODERS ONLY: DX8 branch need help
its most likely going to be TGA, PCX, and BMP (so i can make maps in MSPaint).  And they are the most common
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Solatar

Yeah, that's what I thought, I was just naming some common files. One good thing about .tif files is that they aren't compressed at all. I'm not sure about .bmp files, or .tga files though. I think .tga aren't compressed.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
sheilds are in ANI, and fonts are in a specal format I beleve is based on PCXs also
so what options are there for loading textures with DX8?
I hope there is more than just one way
I hope you have direct acess to the raw texture data
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
RandomTiger....I think most of us are posting here to show support for what you are doing.  A few people may not understand that by changing over to DirectX8 what we can potentially do...but overall, although we cannot be of direct assistance...we can voice our support.  I say great stuff and keep going for it.

HUD is definately all in ANI format although as Bobboau said, thats just a bunch of PCX files strung together with a collective pallet.  

And just so the people who should see this thing...its stickified now!

Programmers....swoop in and assist :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline RandomTiger

I create the texture, I lock the texture, I use V's code to fill the texture given (I believe) the correct shift values for the new DX8 chosen texture format then I unlock. Then I create all the mip map levels.

But something somewhere is going wrong. But looks like when I do get it sorted its going to fix an awful lot of things. :)

Offline Solatar

Tell me this, how much code did you have to change to get fs2 to accept DX8? I'm asking because if you changed some of the rendering codes, you might need to work with them a little.

EDIT: Other than the graphics problems, how is everything else working?

Offline RandomTiger

Hades, please stop posting to this thread or I'll have it locked and continue this debate in the dev list where I should have started it in the first place.

Offline Inquisitor

Patience ;)

A couple of folks are getting set up in CVS RT that might be able to help, grab me on ICQ.

BTW, I am back from my weekend trip, if you couldn't tell.
No signature.

Offline Solatar

My last post. F_ck off and do that, I'm trying to help.

EDIT: If you don't want any help, then ask away somewhere less public. I assume that anybody posting in this forum that's asking for help wants of all things, HELP!! I am doing my best to help all I can, because I've heard some good things about this project, and I hoped it would succeed. I didn't mean to make anybody angry, and as you can see, I am not as computer literate as some of you. For some reason your total ignorance of the fact that I am trying to help you has made be even more angry than you even have a right to be at me. Go  I'm not replying to this thread at all anymore, so you needn't close it. I'm not letting my temper at you get in the way of this MOD.

Also, I had no way of knowing that you were working in conjunction with the SCP team. Or that it was posted on CVS. I'll even scrible out all my other posts on this thread that tried to assist you. Except for my first one, which was, by the way, trying to be friendly. That is, if you want me to.:)  Cheers:) Kudos if you succeed

:D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 02:37:57 pm by 691 »

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i know this may sound rather brutish, but we could step through the pcx loading code and use a hex editor to back up what the compiler says (watch variables, and such)
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline RandomTiger

Given that Im not even getting distorted textures its obviously the image data is just not getting in there at all. Its probably something quite simple I that just cant see. Thats why I'd like someone else to take a look at it.

Offline Inquisitor

Might be an approach Phreak. I have not done that before though, so, if you have any ideas for a newbie on proceeding (or for RT's benefit, for that matter), please share (or email the dev list).

It's the DX8 branch in fs2_open if you want to have a look :)
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

Looks like it could all be down to this function:

int d3d_create_texture_sub(int bitmap_type, int texture_handle, ushort *data, int sx, int sy, int src_w, int src_h, int bmap_w, int bmap_h, int tex_w, int tex_h, tcache_slot_d3d *t, int reload, int fail_on_full)

Anyone who can tell me what this function does exactly and why (in DX5) can have a prize or something.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Think it might be your vid card, or some mods you have installed. I had that prob once with the Robotech mod, reinstalled it, and it worked fine.

Offline RandomTiger

Um... I think something odd is happing! :lol:

d3d_create_texture_sub is definately the key, took it out of a DX5 build and nothing displays. Been so wrapped up in loading forgot that I never sorted out this function.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
let me look through it tomorrow.  i should figure it out in like 20 minutes
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
I was just wondering if there would be any kind of performance gain due to switching over to DX8, I'm sure the GFX routines have been tweaked as DX has matured.

Not really important or relevant, just curious. :)

Offline Doc Oc

nt d3d_create_texture_sub(
  int bitmap_type, int texture_handle,
  ushort *data,
  int sx, int sy,
  int src_w, int src_h,
  int bmap_w, int bmap_h,
  int tex_w, int tex_h,
  tcache_slot_d3d *t,
  int reload, int fail_on_full)

I just did a google search on d3d_create_texture_sub, and the only hits I get are from the FS2 source itself, so that's not going to help (of course, you probably already did the same search yourself).

I remember getting a Windows 95 Game programming ebook on a Delphi 3 book's companion CD. I recovered it from a thick layer of dust, but it turns out to predate Direct3d, so it's not helping either.

As for my own programming skills, I'm afraid my experience with Direct3d is limited to the tutorial apps in the DX81 SDK, so I'm not sure I can help out. I'll check out the source all the same, and get back to you should I find something actually useful. At least you know I'm trying ;).

What about the Quake II source? Id made it available, and if I recall correctly, it's DirectX 5. Maybe you can find something in there?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2002, 06:46:17 am by 867 »
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

Offline RandomTiger

PhReAk: Wow, you are very sure of yourself!

Maeglamor:

Good question. At first I thought there would be, not so sure anymore. Im not changing the architecture of the code just moving it to DX8.1. Doing too much at once will just lead to problems. Once it works perfectly in DX8.1 for everyone then theres a lot of stuff that can be done.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well the thing is obviusly some sort of, "take this bitmap and make it into something DX can use" thing, but you probly knew that already, I'm fairly sure this is not an actual DX function, but I only glanced at it and were it was used
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together