Author Topic: TAP is looking for some staffers!!!!  (Read 10376 times)

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
TAP is looking for some staffers!!!!
Background effects and textures have been a bit tricky to apply, because unlike HW where the effects are wrapped all around the level as one texture, FS2 comprises of many smaller nebula effects placed around the 'sphere', this also includes planets etc. All bitmaps. They are all .pcx and all are 256 index coloured, which can decrease the detail if not converted properly.

So when trying to recreate a HW style background it can sometimes be quite difficult to get a realistic result. So when I (or someone else) gets around to trying to get some decent ones working again, its either gonna be many smaller HW effects carefully placed in the mission editor or a 'thats the best u can get it theme' :p.

However if you manage to find a way to implement some backgrounds successfully, it would save us a lot of time and effort trying to get to it.

In FS2 they have to be 256x256 width @72res(not sure if that makes a terrible dif) and saved as a 256 index colour .pcx. (i might try to make a 512x512 version, and if it doesnt work see if we can change some source code around to make it work).

The best idea I've had so far was to take screen shots inside HW and then try and use them as inspiration when making a new one inside photoshop or other similar programs like gimp (which has a few more special effects filters etc.)

But yes, if you have any success, PM or email me (or post a messege), and I can check it out how u'v done. (hey, if its good i might even be able to talk elorran into recruiting u ;) )

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
  • Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
If we could figure out how to apply new backgrounds using the nebula script then we'd be set since they are basically one texture.  That would also solve the problem of ion trails being present without having to resort to source coding alterations.

The problem is figuring out how to do the nebula scripting, I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to do that yet for FS2, not that I am aware of anyway.  Someone care to enlighten me?
Thats no moon... hes dropped his pants!

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
hmm... i may just try switching the backgrounds...

this wouldnt solve the problem of puffs though. +I will have to see if FreeTerran can increase the resolution, because it would still lack a great deal of detail.

But what would be best is if you could add a background in just a normal mission anyway...

hmm....

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
True.

Hmm, so that's how it's done in FS2. I don't think I can help you there... I can easily get any background out of HW as a single texture in any size, since there's an editing program for HW backgrounds, which shows the entire background as a rectangular area with or without stars on it IIRC, though the edges would be distorted, since HW's backgrounds are sphere wrapped. It'd be much easier if FS2 just used a similar system for its backgrounds.
Member of the Star Trek:Homeworld and Star Wars: New Rebellion
Homeworld modding teams

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
I'll just do what the TBP guys did.. make some with Lightwave...

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
if that works then go for your life.

there is one type where the fs2 engine works with one image. inside nebs but im not sure if there is such a program that can edit or create these .nebs, which are just the background to the mission (+clouds etc that pop up)

so the best chance we having of getting closest to the original is by getting someone at SCP or freeterran at implementing a high res background system...

To USS Alexander,
 My name is Roger.  I have worked with Photoshop extensively around with school developing photos for our newspaper.  If you need any help you can email me at [email protected]
Eh Ceaser, we who are about to die, Salute you!!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Bishop Gantry

that huge plate of "****" is a massive construction that very well could challange the deathstar in size comparison...

It's an uncompleted Dyson Sphere!

You could do it like the planets used to be done before Inferno raised the bar.(Holy God that mission in Earth Orbit rocks!)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 02:25:50 am by 607 »
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
The 'panels' you see in the background from the ships' graveyard at Kadesh are just the, really big panels (probably metal, though they could be made from something else).

There are three (or so) of them that actually overlap from the perspective of the graveyard's location.  There is no evidence to suggest that they are part of a dyson sphere construction.  More likely they are a drop off location for either recycled materials from the derelict ships or construction materials for new ships brought in from else where.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
looks purty I thought anywho...

hehe... just had to get my name after all of the posts :D

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Good Day
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
lol, thats cheating. :p

hehe. btw, i might post an update sooon... internally things slowly moving along... :D

hopefully playing tap wont be a myth afterall... :D hehe

-Grug