Author Topic: Beams in SW?  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Go watch AOTC, specifically the Jedi Battle - is it just me, or do the weapons that the ball gunners on the clone ships, and the read weapons coming off those spider things look suspiciously like Anti Fighter Beams?

Depending on how (and if) they get used in ep 3, we could be looking at beams in the SW mod (though of course, not for a very long time yet, unfortunately :) )
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
They're not really beams, but elongated blaster shots. The only SW weapon that I'd class as a beam would be the Death Star superlaser

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
well the ball gunners weren't so different than beams in my opinion, but i'll have to resee the film

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
If we ever make a Gunship model we'll make a version of the AAA beam to go on it's ball turrets. The Superlaser on the Death Star and Eclipse will also be a beam cannon.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
wern't the small beams ment to be predecessors or somin for the superlaser? they converged into one first. so it was a minature superlaser :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
On second thought... the name for the gunship was the LAAT- Low Altitude assault transport. So no gunships in Freespace. :(
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
They were transports, IMO they are still capable of space travel and may even have hyperdrives, so the ball turrets could be used to fend off fighters on the approach.

edit: I'd like to add however, that you keep with the episode 4-6+ timeline of ships, stay away from that episode 1 and 2 crap.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Razor

Beams sound nice, but in the original trilogy there weren't any beams so, no it won't work.

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by vadar_1
edit: I'd like to add however, that you keep with the episode 4-6+ timeline of ships, stay away from that episode 1 and 2 crap.

Damn Straight! Ep1 and 2 are crap! They just don't fit.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Exactly - a Victory class Star Destroyer is required in Ep III otherwise Lucas is ignoring the timelines cooked up by the fans, which were used IN THE GAMES!!!

I mean, fair enough if LucasFilm disagrees with the authors, but if LucasFilm's work disagrees with LucasArts' work.........
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Just a thought I figured I'd throw in.  If the SW conversion team is looking for the functionality of beams for gameplay purposes, but wants to remain true to the visuals of SW, Bobbaou's nicely perfected beam texture tiling&translation code can do wonders for making a beam look like a rapid laser bolt blast.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Exactly - a Victory class Star Destroyer is required in Ep III otherwise Lucas is ignoring the timelines cooked up by the fans, which were used IN THE GAMES!!!

dude, you don't need to fret, Victories being in Ep. III is 95 % canon. As long as the film takes place during the later part of the Clone Wars, which it almost has to, then there is no doubt we will see Victories which will be like the Orions of FS1. The grandest things around. :thepimp:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by Killfrenzy

I mean, fair enough if LucasFilm disagrees with the authors, but if LucasFilm's work disagrees with LucasArts' work.........

eh:)
as far as i know unfourtunately they are two different things, i mean.... lucasfilm is under direct control of george, lucasart no

• Koala-monkey
Well that's good, else all the LucasArts games would contradict themselves, and spin round in circles, never getting anywhere, and concentrating too much on Anakin and Padme.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Hehe - indeed.

But seriously, it's only the new films that are disagreeing with the established work of authors (in particular Timothy Zahn), only because George Lucas refuses to accept the fan-creations. Okay, fair enough he did create the franchise. But I mean, can he honestly turn around and tell the fans to stop creating things?

When the Heir to the Empire Trilogy came out, that started everything. TZ not only started a whole shebang of novels which furthered the Star Wars storyline (thus crippling episodes 7-9 unless Lucas actually pays attention to the fans' work) and most importantly of all, created the Victory-class Star Destroyer!!

*Prostrates in front of TZ* THANK YOU FOR THE VSD!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

:nervous:

*Runs away*
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Razor

Originally posted by Petrarch of th VBB

Damn Straight! Ep1 and 2 are crap! They just don't fit.

Pardon me but I will really have to argue with this statement. If you didn't notice, Episode 1 had kick ass ships like for instance the Naboo N1 Star Fighter which owns the X-wing like Perseus does over Hercules Mk1. The Sith Infiltrator (Darth Maul's ship) is better than that crappy tin can of a Imperial transport. The TF star fighter looks a lot better than the Tie Fighter no doubt and the Jedi Star Fighter is just too cool not to be missed. Besides, it's logical that these ships would look better if we recall to that time factor 1974, 1999.

• Koala-monkey
The reason the naboo starfighters look better is because they are made individually by the craftsmen, TIE Fighters are mass produced, hence the utilitarian design. The TF fighters might look good but they are crap in use. the jedi starfighters has to have a fricking separate hyperdrive ring to be able to travel, and the imperial transport of which you speak (presuming you mean tha Lambda class shuttle) is not a tin can, it has guns. Maul's ship does not.

The ship designs are very different in the prequels, yes. But they are that way for a reason and just because they aren' the same designs we grew up with doesn't mean they are inferior.

The Republic is a peaceful, developed society that values diversity, culture, art and all the other things we associate with a good society. The Emire is the exact opposite. Every Imperial is an old white human male. There are no aliens, no racial minotiries, and no women in the Empire. There ships have an industrial look to them. They value function over form and are completely devoid of color.

Lots of color is used in the prequels while almost none is used in the Imperial warships. The Republic was this great developed society that was paved over by an uncaring and self-serving machine.

I fail to see how the Naboo-1 Starfighter can own an X-wing considering the X-wing was built long after the N-1.  Granted the X-wing is a particularly awful fighter, and any TIE can waste the thing, but there's no way that after 20 some odd years, Incom would create a fighter that was inferior to the independent defense force of some backwater planet.

As for JediToren...die rebel scum.  The Empire roxxors j00 boxxors.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Shiva Archon
I fail to see how the Naboo-1 Starfighter can own an X-wing considering the X-wing was built long after the N-1.  Granted the X-wing is a particularly awful fighter, and any TIE can waste the thing, but there's no way that after 20 some odd years, Incom would create a fighter that was inferior to the independent defense force of some backwater planet.

As for JediToren...die rebel scum.  The Empire roxxors j00 boxxors.

Keep in mind, the X Wings were mass produced, Naboo Starfighters were not. Chances are the Naboo starfighter is superior. After all, most SW technology is thousands of years old. On that scale, 20 years of development probably wouldn't make such a massive difference.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp