Poll

What is right?

Those were flux cannons. Beams didn't exist back then.
16 (42.1%)
Those were beams just like in FS2.
22 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: November 15, 2002, 02:33:53 pm

Author Topic: I know I will regret this  (Read 12206 times)

Offline Razor

Originally posted by RandomTiger
I think they were lasers

:yes: :nod: That's what I was talking about the whole time.

I'd say they're beams, and were supposed to be like the beams turned out in FS2.  Too bad nobody knew how to make that effect yet...so V got clever and launched an invisible missile with a really long trail.  

Or not, maybe...

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
I said Flux just because FS1 says flux

But you have to take into consideration the fact that the GTVA got its beam technology from the Lucifer's remains... so, that evidence sort of supports the Beam theory.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by vadar_1
They are flux cannons, the beam that shattered vasuda prime was the weapon on the side of the Lucifer, it had four small arms  around the cannon that looked almost alive. It was in the fs2 intro movie... though i beleave on the wrong side. That was a beam, never used in game. Its forward cannons where flux cannons, in fs2 they are SReds because flux beams were out of date, and lucy was never used anyways in fs2. never once were those arm cannons called beams.

Yeah. what he said.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Anaz

Originally posted by Shiva Archon
I'd say they're beams, and were supposed to be like the beams turned out in FS2.  Too bad nobody knew how to make that effect yet...so V got clever and launched an invisible missile with a really long trail.  

Or not, maybe...

there ya go. It says somewhere that beams were created by studying the meson deposits left at places where the lucifer killed stuff. The engine simply wasn't advanced enough at the time to create a 'beam'.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Su-tehp

Screw it, the Lucifer is carrying the LRed as its default beam weapons in DatDB (and they will get plenty of use, I can assure you. ;7) Thank God I can change the ships.tbl file. :nod:
Why do that when you can use this? :D
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hey! You stole it!

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
But mine looks better. ;7

And uses tile translation!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 01:40:20 am by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
And uses tile translation!

yay!!! my code is being used

and they were beams, just becase of an engine limitation was a laser projectile used, and it is quite obvius that it was suposed to be a beam, but to be technical about it FS1 had no true beam weapons
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Bobboau

yay!!! my code is being used

I've made a few with your code actually.  I love it! :D
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Technically speaking, they were indeed just lasers with missile trails.

Thing is though, they could have been made to look much more like beams by simply making the speed very high. The current speed setting made them look like some sort of missile trail moving by itself...

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
So, if I read this right, the shivans didn't have beam technology for one of two reasons.

A. it simply didn't exist and they used the best tech available (flux). Which means the developed beams at the same time we did.

B. They did have beams but simply decided not to use them on the capital ships. Which, to make an analogy of it, would be like the US going to war againest a nation withut a modern army. (Not that big a stretch eh?)  And using old outdated weapons, just cause we don't need to use all the new shiny stuff.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Blue Lion
So, if I read this right, the shivans didn't have beam technology for one of two reasons.

A. it simply didn't exist and they used the best tech available (flux). Which means the developed beams at the same time we did.

B. They did have beams but simply decided not to use them on the capital ships. Which, to make an analogy of it, would be like the US going to war againest a nation withut a modern army. (Not that big a stretch eh?)  And using old outdated weapons, just cause we don't need to use all the new shiny stuff.

C.  Volition didn't create beam weapon code in FS1, and thus the Shivan Super Laser was based on the flux cannon.  But someone at V didn't really like the way it looked, and the decision was made to upgrade the engine for FS2 by writing new code that produced more satisfactory results.  Beams as we know and love them were the result.

That's all there is to it.  Looking for some sort of reason within the FS-universe is about as silly as looking for a reason why the technology in Enterprise looks so much more advanced than the technology of the original Star Trek:  the actual and only answer is because one was made in the 1960's, and one was not.  In our case, FS2 had better tech for beams than FS1, that's all.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
STAR TREK ISNT REAL? :mad: :eek2:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
FREESPACE ISN'T REAL?!! :eek:

:D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
HTF??   How the hell can the gtva use the lucifers remains to develop Beam Cannon seeing as they're in SOL , (plus using standard fs laws of universal existence the debris will p00f outta being after about 5 mins) Also WHERE does it say that Beam cannon where developed using Lucy bits in the main camp ??  btw in FRED1 Lucy beam is shivan super laser, Vas main cap gun is Vasudan Flux cannon......   Only reason as stated is FS1 code old, The cutscenes show how the original lucy cannon was meant to look, and in fs1 it only had two forward firing beams, and the two side things with four arms were hangars as shown when the lucy destroyed Tombaugh station...... :thepimp:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I know I will regret this
 Damn right, me too, now im all Riled.....  Frickin fs2oobies, Geez back i nthe days me and my appollo.....  Man we had to make do without shields and intersytem drive, bleedin young'uns.... $^%£$^£%$^
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
*walks in and reads first post*
Can't be bothered reading rest, was up to 2am watching Star Wars DVDs.

In STORY terms, the Lucy had beam cannons. In actual game-engine mechanics, she fired what was essentially two invisible warheads with big f*k-off trails.

*lets head fall back on desk*
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
In STORY terms, the Lucy had beam cannons. In actual game-engine mechanics, she fired what was essentially two invisible warheads with big f*k-off trails.
*lets head fall back on desk*

There you go. But which is to be taken as the "correct" one? :p :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Colonol Dekker
HTF??   How can the gtva use the lucifers remains to develop Beam Cannon seeing as they're in SOL , (plus using standard fs laws of universal existence the debris will p00f outta being after about 5 mins) Also WHERE does it say that Beam cannon where developed using Lucy bits in the main camp ??

FS2: "According to declassified transmissions, the mission succeeded."

Perhaps the beam schematics were included in the classified transmissions. ;7

Has anyone ever made a campaign that takes place in Sol between FS1 and FS2?  We don't really know what's going on from canon, and it would be a great artistic opportunity.