Author Topic: ? about Music Extraction...  (Read 4921 times)

? about Music Extraction...
After extracting all the Music files from my FS1 to my FS2 data/music directory, I found that the original FS2 music still plays.  There is no way i'm going into fred and changing every music propetiy for each mission. Does that mean I have lost all hope? (I'm sorry if this has been anwsered before, but i did a search and nothing came up)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Well I would have assumed GE would've changed the file that the mission refers to in notepad or via fred, but it appears he didn't.. at least that's how I think you'd do it.

We'll get back to you on this one. At first I thought you meant just ST but then I realized you meant the riginal campaign too.. and frankly I wouldn't want to either, but you may have to If you want to use the original music.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

I just extracted the FreeSpace 1 music.tbl file and copied it in my Freespace2\tables folder.

Then I changed this in fred, but the music is sometimes mixed up. You suddenly hear the good arival music, when the bad guys come or the action music and arrival music play together.

I think it is not so easy, just to change the music in the missions, because FreeSpace 1 uses other names than FreeSpace 2 for the music and has not the same number of tracks, I think.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
yeah I was thinking to change them to the names that FS uses in notepad, but that could be a ***** to change.

I'll notify GE/Stealth
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

K, thnx for all the help so far team.:yes:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
eryone I guess I should introduce myself, since its my first post: I'm Zoltan from middle Europe (or the Middle Age :sigh: ).
I've been playing with FS for quite a while *4 years-and also got a bit immersed in basic development (:rolleyes: FRED, VP files ect. nothing you can't figure out on your own).

I played with the new port for a while and everything has gone smooth, except music. Darn I thought since the good 'ol FS1 tunes are my favourites (although the recording quality is far from FS2 I still think they're better-don ask me why).

Anyway I did replace the right lines in the missions and it works fine for me. Unfortunately it needs the orig music.tbl too which kills all the orig music.(No music in main hall for instance).

Either a new music.tbl should be written to handle both set of music files - or the interface should be modified to work with the original files.

Well that sums it up :doubt:

PS: if you drop me a line; I could upload the whole stuff
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Solatar

Gunnery control stand by! Open fire!

Exits are to the left and right, flamethrowers under the seats.

I agree with you. Apart from Revelation I think the fs1 music is better.

EDIT: If you have the fs1 music table installed, and ALL the fs1 music. Go into the Mainhall.tbl and change the music in the mainhall.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 05:52:55 pm by 691 »

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Thanks for the compliment Hades and the advice as well (I've figured that out since I posted the reply), but the whole things is still a bit buggy.
If you quit a mission there's no way the music will come back.
I guess there are other errors as well.
But finally the inmission music seems to work fine :cool: .

You can d/l my files from the following URL:

http://users.freestart.hu/szandtner/musfix.exe

I'll try to solve the rest as well. :)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Yeah, the music in FS1 is WAY better in my opinion. This may sound strange, but I think one of the reasons I love FS1 is because of the music in the first training mission of the Retail FS1, it had a certain...something to it.I guess the only flaw i can find with FS1 is the damn weak and useless anti-fighter weapons on the Capital ships. A Orion probaly won't even kill one Shielded Anubis if it tried.  Besides that, the game is flawless.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I disagree Ag_Squad; I think it makes sense (actually I only recently figured it out myself).
Imagine everything without shields...ehh quite different isn't it?
Your fighter can't widstand the firepower of a cruiser not speaking of an Orion.
Then came the Shivans and all the GTA and PVN capships became useless. Deep****.
Why is it a good thing?
Except for the Lucifer all the capships are in support role, and everything gets down to fighters and bombers.
In FS2 this was balanced, by antifighter beams and flak, but still a fighter or bomber can take a lot more damage than a capship compared to its size-all thanks to the shields.
Comparing the whole shield business to WW2 is fitting-the advent of carriers and the invulnurable airplanes rendered battleships museal relics.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I've tried to refine the table the new URL:
http://users.freestart.hu/szandtner/musfix2.exe
It's still bugy, but works fine in some missions.

It works great, the music seems more in-place with the game now! Thnx Flasher :P One thing though, sometimes, when I finish a mission and I click the button proceed to the next, it crashes back to the desktop. Is this problem related to the updated missions?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Do you use open_source or the original version?
I've tested it on open and it crashes - whenever a movie should be played. -The reason could be that open has the mve player omitted thanks to Interplay, though I can't blame them *DivX support is coming around anyway! :devil:
I haven't done testing with the original. Maybe it is the result of rewritting the mission files.
I was also working on fixing the movies - however there are several problems with that :sigh: :
A) There is no movie player in open source, but I've already decided to stick with it no matter what *there are just far too many improvements made by the source team :cool:
B)GE rewrote some of the cb-s to replace movies
C)This includes an add on mission - :sigh: - I'd feel bad if I were to just omit it.
D)I can't get FS2 to work fine with the second FS1 cd - something has to be checked about cutscenes.tbl

As for something else, make sure to tweak FS2 with regedit,
There's a DWORD *i guess- which if set to 1 disables CD verification - usefull for faster startup

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: ? about Music Extraction...
Originally posted by Aggressor_Squad
After extracting all the Music files from my FS1 to my FS2 data/music directory, I found that the original FS2 music still plays.  There is no way i'm going into fred and changing every music propetiy for each mission. Does that mean I have lost all hope? (I'm sorry if this has been anwsered before, but i did a search and nothing came up)

Edit music.tbl and overwrite the 7 soundtracks with the music from missions 1-7 (replace FS2_BTL_A01 with m1_bttl1, FS2_AMB_C01 with m3_nrml1, etc.). Set all songs to have 999.9 measures so that FS2 will switch to a different song when the song actually ends, as FS1 music files are usually longer than FS2 ones.  Then add two new soundtracks for the music for missions 8 and 9. Edit your missions accordingly. Voila! FS1 music.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Woolie I did remake all the campaign with the original soundtracks.

Moreover I converted the old music.tbl from FS1 with VP view.

I would be ovejoyed if you could show me how to make a proper music.tbl for FS2 since I could only experiment, without knowledge of the result.

I guess my musfix.exe is still up and running it contains the rewritten missions and the music.tbl from FS1.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Here's a linky

Click me!