Author Topic: FS2: GTVA ranks  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Zephyr

How do you get promoted to higher rank? I'm only an ensign & an ace & I'm at the "bearbaiting" mission. Is it based on your number of kills? I've got about 70 kills.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically you get points by killing things. If you play a user made campaign you might get points for mission objectives too but the main FS2 campaign only gives points for kills.

As for the Aces my FAQ has a list of the number of kills required for each ace in the gameplay section.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Just finish Bearbaiting and the next mission, High Noon.  If you throw a helios into the Sathanas in the next mission, you get full credit for the kill.  Should be an instant promotion.

You also get more points/kill at higher difficulty levels, so if you're on very easy you have a long way to go.

Offline Fetty

also depends on the difficulty level

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You get Ace, Double Ace, and Triple Ace levels based on the number of kills you have made. After 70 kills, you are an Ace. 150 kills mean you are a Double Ace, and 275 promotes you to Triple Ace. This is a number, independent from the ship class you have killed. So if you kill 275 Containers, you are a triple ace, but if you kill 274 Juggernaughts, you are only a double ace. Difficulty level has great importance in promotions. If you play on Very Easy, you get one fifth score for killing a ship, on Easy, you get one forth, Medium is 1/3, Hard is its half, while you get full score on Insane skill level. Achieving promotions in FS2 is extremely hard, and you must play with it a lot, in order to achieve the highest rank(Admiral)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline diamondgeezer

You can always make a mission using the grant-promotion SEXP. Instantly promotes you by one level. Handy!

Yay cheating!

Offline Solatar

Or you can go into FRED and make a cargo container worth a million points.

Offline diamondgeezer

Forgot about that one :D

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by TopAce
If you play on Very Easy, you get one fifth score for killing a ship

That's why I'm still a lieutenant JG, then.

I note that in FS1 you were never meant to reach Admiral. Listen to the debreifing for when you do!

"Well, Admiral cheater." and so on.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Damnit guys! Not using FRED is the only solution to be promoted! Container with million points score? What is it's cargo? Bosch? (At least I know he is not hiding in the nebula.);)
Fly a lot of missions and earn a lot of kills. This is a more(and the only) honest way to reach higher ranks.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Some guys in multiplayer did actually get to Rear Admiral though, so they must have heard one of those cheat messages. :D

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by CP5670
Some guys in multiplayer did actually get to Rear Admiral though, so they must have heard one of those cheat messages. :D

I think PXO may have one REAL admiral.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Does it? I know there are several vice admirals and many more rear admirals, but I am not sure if anyone has gotten admiral yet. (at least in FS2)

In FS1 the first two rear admirals were some guys named Xinny and Zero, which is where the pilot names in loop2-2.fs2's briefing came from. :D

• Koala-monkey
Ahh, very clever. Now all we need is for game publishers to acknowledge the game's fans, as well as the developers doing it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
With this promotion system FS2 has, Bosch really had to fly so many missions before establishing the NTF as an Admiral:)

Offline FSW

Well, he did have a couple of decades to do it in.

• Koala-monkey
Ahh, but for a lot of that time he was inside that asteroid, bulding the Iceni, so he must have cheated.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I flew with Xinny the other night, nah he definatly got his by non-cheating, however FS2, every clean Admiral is a cheater. There are about 50 admirals with one mission, you can check em out at pxo's site.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2002, 05:59:15 pm by 461 »

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Bava is an admiral isnt he, then again he is/was a co-op freak :D
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
As long as I remember Bava is a Vice Admiral still

-edit- yeah he's still a vice, and there are two vice admirals above him, l-bolt and admir_hafgan, (including a third vice admiral with 2000 missions, in other words a cheater)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2002, 01:35:08 pm by 461 »