Author Topic: 56K Modem  (Read 2764 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Can I play FS2 with good FPs/Ping when I only have a standard 56K modem? What about virus threats?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by TopAce
Can I play FS2 with good FPs/Ping when I only have a standard 56K modem? What about virus threats?

Yes. Yes you can. They can just be a bit messy if ur modem gets tied up by some incidious background app.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
you can host a game on 56K but not more than 1 person can play with you without you and him experiencing massive lag.  also make sure he's on low object updates and you're on high. (if you host)

if you join, make sure you're on low, and the host is on high.

also, shut down your firewall (if you have one) and close "Find Fast" (the infamous windows application) and all other programs including instant messangers, that windows does not need to run

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Stealth
close "Find Fast" (the infamous windows application)

Permanently if you can.

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
The fact that I'm on 56k, is the reason why I've never played any games online, another reason might be that I am undeniably crap at every game I have ever played.:D

What is FindFast anyway?

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
To find things fast:D
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

• Koala-monkey
Fool! Dare defy my wrath! you shall be plunged into a vat of Bovril, and forced to eat your way out!

Mwahahahaha!

NEVER deactivate your firewall!! It's there for a reason. If you use ZoneAlarm, just set it to allow Freespace to connect to the Internet and to allow it to act as a server. To kill viruses, most AV programs have a background sentry that spots viral activity, and if it is updated often, it will serve you well. Don't close that, either, no matter what anyone says.
[EDIT] Mmm...........Bovril [/EDIT]
"Once I destroyed the world with nuclear fire to clear the way for my cybernetic future. I now intend to further shape the world into my own image by surgically removing unwanted growths like yourself!"
- NEXUS, Warzone 2100

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by <<ERROR>>
NEVER deactivate your firewall!! It's there for a reason. If you use ZoneAlarm, just set it to allow Freespace to connect to the Internet and to allow it to act as a server. To kill viruses, most AV programs have a background sentry that spots viral activity, and if it is updated often, it will serve you well. Don't close that, either, no matter what anyone says.
[EDIT] Mmm...........Bovril [/EDIT]

actually i use ZoneAlarm, and i close it every tijme i play a multiplayer game... Freespace, WC3, Starcraft, etc.

see, even if you allow it to let the program be a server/use the internet, it still parses and filters everything going through it, thus causing mega-lag...  if you don't want to risk being hacked: don't play online games unless you're prepared to have lag!

FindFast indexes certain files in certain directories (this is set: CONTROL PANEL --> FIND FAST) so that when you search for them they find/open easier.  you can set what it indexes, and how often it updates.  i've had mine set on every two hours for 4 years now :p ;)  but it's not necessary, you can set it to update every 3 months if you want

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by <<ERROR>>
Mmm...........Bovril

Long live Bovril!

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB

Long live Bovril!

You've got the bovril, I've got the pies, now who's got the football match?

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Originally posted by vyper

You've got the bovril, I've got the pies, now who's got the football match?

Aye!

• Koala-monkey
;sings:

Bovril, Bovril,
The one for you and me
Nice 'n' solid Bovril
All stuck up... ermm... form your own opinion!
:D