Author Topic: Gas Giant (LunarCell preset attached)  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Gas Giant (LunarCell preset attached)

Time to render from scratch (aside from creating the gas giant preset): ~5 minutes.

The LunarCell preset if free for anyone to use, modify, play around with, whatever. I don't require credits, but if you feel like it, I don't have any problem with that. :p

Note: The LunarCell preset is only for the Gas Giant, not the space scene in the BG - that method's a secret. ;7
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Hmm, so you have a secret method for background creation, eh? :D

Nice work on the planet - even if it could use some tweaking and better lighting it makes for a nice texture.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I've been playing arround with Lunarcell gasgiants for some time this one is aiming for a more Uranus look:

Too bad I can't find a good simple program for making planetary rings.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2002, 01:15:07 pm by 72 »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
* refrains from posting really bad joke *

Nice work on those planets, though, Ace.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel

First shot at rings, of course they'll look better as time goes on...
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
DUDE!!! How'd you do the rings? They're awesome!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
*hits right-click , save-picture-as*
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
:lol:
well done Ace, now everybody's jealous :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
I know Ace uses Max to touch up his lunarcell stuff ... other than that not got a scoobie how he does it..

*kicks PS and Lunarcell plugin*

WORK YOU BINT!
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sheepy
I know Ace uses Max to touch up his lunarcell stuff ... other than that not got a scoobie how he does it..

*kicks PS and Lunarcell plugin*

WORK YOU BINT!

mmh, I guess the same way I used to do ( don't use lunarcell at all now ):
lunarcel can make planets ( so a 2D circle), but can also export as a rectangular map meant for spherical UV mapping. with Max render, there's no comparison.
for the ring, I'd do it with a bmp and an opacity map ( that said, last time I did one, I used a radial procedural map, sue me :p )
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
I use Lunarcell to make several high-res map layers for a sphere in MAX, then I use volumetrics for the atmosphere and lighting.

The ring image is all Lunarcell with post-production effects such as the ring in PSP.

It's not in MAX because I don't have a working copy since XP hates 3dsMax4 and umm... acquiring Max5 has been... problematical... umm *cough*
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Ace
I use Lunarcell to make several high-res map layers for a sphere in MAX, then I use volumetrics for the atmosphere and lighting.

The ring image is all Lunarcell with post-production effects such as the ring in PSP.

It's not in MAX because I don't have a working copy since XP hates 3dsMax4 and umm... acquiring Max5 has been... problematical... umm *cough*

for max4 and XP, go to the discreet website and get the latest Cdilla.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Was bored:

I'll do up a planetary ring in a few minutes...... Ace, beware! :p :lol:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Here we go:

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sandwich
Here we go:

"geek mode on" such a ring couldn't exists, it's too close to the planet and would be attracted by its gravity "geek mode off"
Please don't hurt me :shaking:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by venom2506
Please don't hurt me :shaking:

*hurts Venom*

I wasn't going for scientific accuracy, it was just a first try at forging Rings of Power...errr, wrong thread. :p

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Heres my latest few (all for NW) (both pure PS, not got that fancy Max stuff to do render work in :D)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2002, 05:43:02 pm by 575 »
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Coincidentaly I just started a ringed planet last night.

all lightwave except for some photoshop for adjustment and the ring texture. everything, 100% original.

sic volo sic iubeo

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sheepy

Now this, this really impresses me. :nod: Reminds me of some earlier work I did, in fact... but this is even better. :)

By the way, Draco - those rings are superb! I like yours too, Ace. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

thanks!
sic volo sic iubeo