Author Topic: Running FS2 at a higher resolution  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Sebbish

Running FS2 at a higher resolution
Hi all!

I would like to know if it is possible to run Freespace at a higher resolution than is possible through the setup window. I have found in other games it is possible to do so by editing the .INI files or the registry. I found a key in the registry that had the resolution setting for Freespace. I edited it so instead of 1024*768 it said 1600*1200. In the setup menu it now has this setting selected. I have not yet run Freespace with that resolution because the only thing I know about the registry is that it can screw stuff up badly if you don't know what you're doing (like me). Does anyone know if this will work? If not, is there another way to run the game at a higher resolution? I know the resolution isn't supposed to be that high so the HUD would be a bit small but I like small displays and fonts.

BTW where can I find the registry hacks to enable better textures? I don't know how to do them myself, but I downloaded a file from this site where you just clicked on it and it automatically added them to the registry. It was a long time ago, and the file is not in the downloads section and there appears to be no news archive.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
*Fire Control, target Sebbish.  Warm up the beam.  And... FIRE!*

Exits are to the sides and rear.  Personal flamethrowers are located beneath your seat in case of emergency or naughty disposition.  If you run into any Shivans while crawling through the ductwork, it's probably just Carl.  Give him your lunch, don't make any sudden moves, and you'll be fine.

Anyway, as for your questions:  1)  I dunno, never tried it, or heard of anyone else trying it.  Backing up your registry before making changes is always a good idea.  2)  Under the place where it says Hard Light Productions Forums in the top right of the screen there is a search function.  Use it to find a thread that talks about the high-res texture registry hack.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Sebbish

Hehe, thx for the welcome. I did a search and found nothing but links to the instructions for the registry hacks, I want the file that does it automatically, but I'll keep searching and if all else fails follow the instructions.

EDIT: The resolution thing didn't work, it simply ran FS2 at the ugly low resolution.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2003, 09:15:06 pm by 1025 »

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
*cough*resolutionwhore*cough*cough*
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Sebbish

...And proud of it.:D

Originally posted by ZylonBane
*cough*resolutionwhore*cough*cough*

hahahaha

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Well of course it won't work, there's no interface art for it to work, you'd have to remake all the interface in the desired resolution.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
I was under the impression that 32 bit (1024x768) was the higest it could be set at in game, if i`m wrong, please correct me..
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
won't let me delete my post
« Last Edit: January 11, 2003, 10:41:24 pm by 223 »
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Anaz

yeah...only enough art for 1024*768. No fancy completely-3D menus for FS2...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
I doubt that would work, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. But..er..yeah.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Analazon.
How would 255 ships sound compared to say 200 in the ships list. daveb stated that it is possible.  Sounds like mod heaven to me :yes: :yes: :D
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Running FS2 at a higher resolution
Originally posted by Sebbish
Hi all!

I would like to know if it is possible to run Freespace at a higher resolution than is possible through the setup window. I have found in other games it is possible to do so by editing the .INI files or the registry. I found a key in the registry that had the resolution setting for Freespace. I edited it so instead of 1024*768 it said 1600*1200. In the setup menu it now has this setting selected. I have not yet run Freespace with that resolution because the only thing I know about the registry is that it can screw stuff up badly if you don't know what you're doing (like me). Does anyone know if this will work? If not, is there another way to run the game at a higher resolution? I know the resolution isn't supposed to be that high so the HUD would be a bit small but I like small displays and fonts.

BTW where can I find the registry hacks to enable better textures? I don't know how to do them myself, but I downloaded a file from this site where you just clicked on it and it automatically added them to the registry. It was a long time ago, and the file is not in the downloads section and there appears to be no news archive.

That's the only way to go in the CnC games, resolution high enough to see half the battlefield at once.  But these guys are right, it's not worth it to raise the resolution to insane in FS2.  Even if you got around the menus (so they wouldn't necessarily be fullscreen) the HUD and radar would still be screwed up, and no one wants to redo all the files for a barely noticeable and performance-reducing resolution increase.  For the most part, the game is dark enough to not notice it.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
At present, FS2 only runs in 640x480 resolution or 1024x768 resolution. Period. It's not just a matter of interface artwork, it's a matter of code. The game is not designed to recognize any other resolutions. If you tried putting a higher resolution in, what you would likely get is 640x480 Software rendering mode, which is still a "fallback" mode in the regular FS2 program. You can't set it to software using the original launcher though because it's designed not to let you. The software rendering engine dates back to FS1 and was apparently never removed from the codebase.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Can your card do FSAA? 1024*768/32-bit/8*8FSAA looks sweet in As Lightning Fall. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.