Author Topic: A Serious Problem  (Read 2811 times)

Ok, this one is not a FRED question. It has to do with the game itself. I've played through the main campaign once. I've also played many other missions and was replaying the campaign. Then, during one mission, it just booted me back to the desktop screen. So, I'm like ok, its just one little bug. Then it did it again. And again. I tried a tech room mission and it did it. I've tried reinstalling the thing twice now, with no virus scanner open or ad blocker. The bug just strikes when it wants, which is often. Now, I can't even open the game, I can't even get to the intro movie for that matter. This is really frustrating. Any suggestions are very welcomed and needed. Thanks.

Mark

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Hmm...never had that.  Have you updated directX or your drivers recently?  It doesn;t sound like it's to do with FS itself if you've reinstalled it, so I'd guess its to do with your system somehow... what's your config?

P3 500
13.6 GB HD
384 MB RAM
Windows XP
Turtle Beach sound card
GeForce4 MX 440 64 mb ram

Hope this answers your q.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by fs2freak88
Turtle Beach sound card

raaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! memories! That was one of my "have to get that" when I was younger...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
do you have any mods installed? cos i once had the ai tbl corrupt itself and crash fs like that. i thought it was some software conflict....
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Could someone please name the Files that originally come with the game? That would be very helpful. I thought I deleted mods but i could be wrong...

Mark

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
The game will only delete game files when uninstalled, if you do have mods installed they will be in the games\freespace2\data directory in the following subdirectories ( effects, interface, models, maps, hud and tables... Depending opon types of models used, capital ships wouldn`t use the hud subdirectory, unless they are shielded as the fighters and bombers do.. That`s all that i can think of right off, hope this helps..

(edit) if you use a modded *.vp file it will be in the games\freespace2 directory..

Side note, all the game data is in the *.vp files
root_fs2
smarty-fs2
sparky_fs2
sparky_hi_fs2
stu_fs2
tango1_fs2
tango2_fs2
tango3_fs2   those are all the game data files as you requested
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 01:06:54 am by 695 »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
and you might just try renaming your data folder, copy the players folder from it, then create a new folder named data, and paste the players folder inside.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
NO! Try not!
Do! Or do not!
There is no try.

Just delete all your tbls, or move them.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by venom2506

raaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! memories! That was one of my "have to get that" when I was younger...

yeah, when i saw that i did the same thing :D :D

hehehe, lol fsfreak, you got a GF4 running on a 500 mHz machine.  that's quite ironic, i don't know why ;) :D

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i've got a better idea:  why not say "screw the MODs"... you can't play them anyway since FS doesn't even run,

so...

uninstall FS, then delete your entire FREESPACE (or freespace2, depending what you're talking about) directory, then delete that from the recycle bin! then when you're done, restart!  then reinstall.  so there's no chance that any Freespace1/2 component is left! :D

:D

if that doesn't work, post here again

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Stealth
i've got a better idea:  why not say "screw the MODs"... you can't play them anyway since FS doesn't even run,

so...

uninstall FS, then delete your entire FREESPACE (or freespace2, depending what you're talking about) directory, then delete that from the recycle bin! then when you're done, restart!  then reinstall.  so there's no chance that any Freespace1/2 component is left! :D

:D

if that doesn't work, post here again

Before doing this, be sure to backup your Players directory.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
fs2freak88 I guess you didn`t expect this kind of a responce to your post :yes: :D
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Thank you Stealth, your suggestion worked. FS2 is now up and running like normal. Hopefully this won't happen again.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
FYI, when FS2 crashes to the desktop that usually means the crash was a GPF (General Program Fault) and that details of the crash were appended to the errorlog.txt file. (Much of that is too technical for me to decipher, but the first part of it can give people an idea of whether this is a crash that people have seen before or not.) If it crashes a lot, then finding the right entry can take some time.
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers