Author Topic: 24/32bit colour & upping the effects.tbl limit  (Read 1849 times)

24/32bit colour & upping the effects.tbl limit
I'm sure the 24/32 colour support support for ingame isn't available yet. Let me explain, even when you set the game to run at 32bit colour visible banding on test nebulas I made was still clearly visible.  Now I'm not talking about the 256 colour reduction (I used bright to do this btw) - I'm talking reduction beyond the 256 colour drop. (ie compare the in game visible nebula and the 256 colour pcx and the ingame picture being clearly reduced furhter.  Can someone explain why this is the case and if it's an issue ever likely to be resolved.  I'm sure the programmers know what I'm talking about.

Secondly and more simply has the limit of 60 nebula/planet entries in the effects.tbl been upped in release 3.4 ?  I'm too lazy to test :D (and count)
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
32 bit compression doesn't work for nebulas.. yet.  that would require more pain than i can deal with.  24/32 bit textures are also an Opengl feature until someone who knows DX ports it there

as for the starfield bitmaps:
#define MAX_STARFIELD_BITMAPS         60

so no.. but its a 2 second fix

edit: its stars.tbl not effects.tbl
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline RandomTiger

I have a snippet of code to load 32 bit tga's in DX8 into FS2 if that is of any interest.

Offline diamondgeezer

A question from the ignorant to the wise
Purely to satisfy my own curiosity - why did :V: put limits on the tables at all? To stop people using two hundred meg tables and crashing the game? :confused:

excellent ! has this code been included in the current release .34 ???

and while we're on the subject, alpha channels, what are they used for in terms of textures exactly, i thought an alpha channel was just a saved selection area within the picture your working on??? i dont understand how it benefits the texture??? :confused:

ok im assuming this isnt in the released version of the code then since i just did a test and it showed the pcx equivalent (a completely different nebula just to be safe)

so will this be in the next build ?  btw i was testing on a geforce 3 ti200 in 32bit 1024 DX (its possible to use OGL for some now ???)

ok lets get this straight then, 32 bit textures are only working in OGL and only for maps at the moment?  

Can i request the stars.tbl limit be upped to say 150ish for the next build?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 05:23:54 am by 227 »
The Babylon Project 2D Art / Texturing / Model Setup / Experimentation and Implementation

NEWBIE'S GUIDE TO THE VBB:

Enable Beam-free-all.

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Re: A question from the ignorant to the wise
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Purely to satisfy my own curiosity - why did :V: put limits on the tables at all? To stop people using two hundred meg tables and crashing the game? :confused:

All the info from the tables goes into arrays of objects, and the number of items in those arrays are set when the program is written and compiled. Trying to put more items into the array then there is space available will cause errors and possibly crashes. To put it much much simpler I'll rephrase the question:
Q. Why does {some company} limit how many eggs go into a package?
A. Because there's only so much room in the package. :)

Code: [Select]
// for drawing cool stuff on the background - comes from a table
starfield_bitmap Starfield_bitmaps[MAX_STARFIELD_BITMAPS];
starfield_bitmap_instance Starfield_bitmap_instance[MAX_STARFIELD_BITMAPS];
int Num_starfield_bitmaps = 0;

// sun bitmaps and sun glow bitmaps
starfield_bitmap Sun_bitmaps[MAX_STARFIELD_BITMAPS];
starfield_bitmap_instance Suns[MAX_STARFIELD_BITMAPS];
int Num_suns = 0;

Also, the bigger those defines are set, the more memory FS2 will need to run. (Which is why, before they released it, they lowered all the limits to about the max they needed for the actual game.)
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers