Author Topic: Heheh, Star Wars capital ships SUCK compared to FS2 cap ships  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Heheh, Star Wars capital ships SUCK compared to FS2 cap ships
For this ship comparison, since shield/armor hitpoints are different from SW SBD and RU units, let's make a nice conversion system that makes FS2 fighters more or less equal in toughness and speed to SW ships:

10 shield hitpoints = 1 SBD
10 hull hitpoints = 1 RU
1 m/s = 1.333333.... MGLT

Therefore, a GTF Myrmidon would have:
Shields: 39 SBD
Hull: 29 RU
Speed: 100 MGLT

An X-Wing has:
Shields: 50 SBD
Hull: 20 RU
Speed: 100 MGLT

The X-Wing has a major advantage.

But... Capital ships are another matter

GTD Orion
Hull: 10000 RU
No shields

Imperial Star Destroyer
Shields: 4800 SBD
Hull: 2272 RU

GVD Hatshepsut
Hull: 13500 RU
No shields

SJ Santhanas
Hull: 100000 RU
Shields: If it had shields... let's see 4800/2272 * 10000 = JESUS!
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Ok, how the hell do you come up with this? Your scales? etc.

Remember that talk I gave you before I sent you here about Leaving your stupid at warpstorm? :doubt:

And don't say the tech rooms.. how do you come up with 1m/s = 1mglt or the hull ratios?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I think it is to give the fighters rough equivalencies, but I really have no idea.

I tried a more tactful approach, but I see that it failed.  So, I'll come on out and say it: that "for those of you who may be new here" post in the fighter poll was directed at you Woolie.  Go read it if you haven't yet :blah:

And please, PLEASE stop talking about things in terms of hitpoints or other table stats.  I am a modder myself, and not once to I describe my ships (which are table mods as well as models) in those terms.  A cruiser may have 70000 hitpoints, but I say that it is as tough as a Leviathan instead of providing that number.  No one cares, it all depends on how it plays not how it reads.  Go read the Freespace Modding forum, look at some of the older posts and the WIP's.  If you have a comment about one of them that hasn't been said already, say something.  Those topics are not so numerous as these, so you may end up bumping an old topic, but we can forgive a few of those if it is important or even positive and productive.

EDIT:  Ok, seeing as you have started to do your research and have apparently voted in some older polls, lets add one more qualification to not minding you bumping things.  If it hasn't been posted on in 2003, leave it alone.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 06:02:26 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I see this all the time and never know what it stands for.  What is MGLT?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
you guys are being awefully nasty to this guy...what's up?

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Indeed.  What gives?

And FYI, 70,000 HP is roughly equal to a Mentu or Lilith, far more than a Leviathan.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Shrike
Indeed.  What gives?

4 non-constructive and noob-esque threads started in as many days, along equal lines with this one.  People have discussed this in the other threads, but new threads are created anyway.  The criticisms have, up to now, revolved around things like redundant table posting, arguing without regard to others opinions, and inappropriate language.  I, for my part, am trying to guide him from being so far off of general interest while, in part, responding to other members.  Not trying to be hard on him, though it may be coming out that way.

And FYI, 70,000 HP is roughly equal to a Mentu or Lilith, far more than a Leviathan. [/B]

I don't have the tables in front of me, (or on this comp for that matter) but it's about twice the strength of a Fenris.  The cruiser that I am describing there is actually, in my estimation, a Terran Lilith, so that comparison may be more appropriate.  It was for illustration only.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 07:44:41 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Shrike: What stratt said. I'm not really ever mean to new people, especially when I partly bring them here, but arrogance (for lack of a better term at the moment) among newbies is annoying to say the least.

Goob: MGLT is an X-Wing Alliance term MeGa Light

Woolie: Let your other 3 or 4 various poll threads and stuff play out before you ask any more questions. We appreciate the traffic, but we're old and grouchy. It's hard for us to keep up with certain things and discuss them properly (where due)

Also, incase you missed the other notices, refrain from:
Posting Tables for everything (As it's been said, we know the game better than you. No need to go over the Alphabet with a 12th grade english class)

Using Harsh language excessively: self explanitory really.

Comparing statistics with two different universes: 1) I find this really irratating. There's no canon foundation to back up what your saying. All the stats are based on "well, if this equals that..."  which I think in most people's minds already discounts whatever statistics. Statistics within the same universe are more acceptable, but are generally as annoying as posting Tables.

Now I guess what we could do to alter the thread to more on topic would be to make it "which universe's ships do you think are better/stronger, star wars or Freespace? " or something of that sort.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Now I guess what we could do to alter the thread to more on topic would be to make it "which universe's ships do you think are better/stronger, star wars or Freespace? " or something of that sort.

No new threads; use this one instead.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bri_Dog

200 GIGAton turbolasers would rip and FS ship apart.
Sig

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Bri_Dog

yeah, one gigaton turbolaser would reap a planet apart. SW is really not better than startrek when it comes to fluff, you see?
who needs a death star with 200 gigaton lasers on a single ship? with that, you can destroy, yeah! a few earth sized planets at the same time.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass

Please refer to my very long post about a third down on this page: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,13735.0.html

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
gah! I thought spacebattles had that vs forum so I could avoid it on the freespace communities... well well....
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Bri_Dog

Nah, I'm gonna be a fanatic Warsie today...

LA LA LA LA LA 200GT TURBOLASERS LALALALALALALA

I CAN"T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALAAL

:p

I know as well as you all that it's all a crock
Sig

Nah, I'm gonna be a fanatic Warsie today...

LA LA LA LA LA 200GT TURBOLASERS LALALALALALALA

I CAN"T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALAAL

:p

I know as well as you all that it's all a crock

now should we bring up stormies incompetence and SW ships always firing at 00,000000000000000001% of their actual firepower aswell;)
Bah who needeed the Colossus when all we needed was 30 Fenrises

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
you can't truly compare SW and FS, because they are different galaxies. for all we know, FS weapons may have no effect on SW shields
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Bri_Dog

Besides, trying to apply real-world physics to sci-fi doesn't work too well.......
Sig

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
comparing FS2 to XWA (and other SW games) doesn't exaclty work with different units of measurement either...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Nuclear1

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Originally posted by venom2506

SW is really not better than startrek when it comes to fluff, you see?

:mad2: BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! :mad2: You DARE belive that ST is EQUAL to SW???!!!

You shall DIE for your insolence:wink:

Sorry, i feel like being a fanatical warsie today too :p
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!