Author Topic: 16.7 Mio Colors for interface  (Read 9980 times)

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
16.7 Mio Colors for interface
Can anyone programm that we can use 16.7 Mio colors for the interface and not the limitation of 256 colors.
And the limitation of Animations too please.
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

this has been suggested before, and it was decided that this wasn't neccesary. if you just make an image in 16million, and then compress it to 256, it will look just as good. as long as you use some reasonable graphics software.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline FreeTerran

:wtf: But i use over 100.000 colors for one of the pic and when i convert it to 256 colors it looks bad but i must take the pic at my mod and can't use an other.

what program do you use to convert it?

perhaps you can e-mail me the pic and let me try.
I AM NOT JOINING YOUR MOD, I'M ONLY HELPING THIS ONCE.

or perhaps you should use another picture
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline FreeTerran

I DON'T USE AN OTHER PIC
I use PSP 7 and Photoshop.
What usee you to convert it ?

i'd use PSP. can you first post some before and after pics, then i might see the problem.

why don't you just use another picture, and stop demanding things.

or even better, work on missions first, and then work on interface. missions and a good storyline are more important then mods.

Offline FreeTerran

:mad2: Why will you not that the fs_open support 16.7 mio colors ?

i'm no coder, so you can just wait for one of them to see this topic, and then ask nicely. but i just don't think it's necesary and that you shouldn't put that much time in things like new interface and music, and more time in story and mission.

Offline FreeTerran

I have talked with inquistor and they have say they do what they can.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 10:35:23 am by 1059 »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Free Terran
:mad2: Why will you not that the fs_open support 16.7 mio colors ?

Probably because people come in and demand it, and then get angry when it's not done within thirty one minutesor so of the thread first being posted.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 10:37:01 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Fry_Day

While I don't believe 256 colors looks nearly as good as 16.7 million colors, no mater what converter, when the image is truly complex, I still think it's pointless to add as a feature, since it's just the interface. Get over it. who cares about the interface when they're exterminating shivan scum? :)

Offline FreeTerran

Gives here any people they will that ?

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Free Terran
Gives here any people they will that ?

this has got to be a record
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Inquisitor

I actually said I'll look at it, not that I would do it.

And I will look at it, and ask the other folks, and see.

It would help if you showed us some before and after shots of the graphic you are using, if we can't make the change easily, then perhaps we can suggest an alternative ;)
No signature.

Offline FreeTerran

Please do it.
I can't the pic at moment appear you because it is now not finished but when its done i appear it you.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
terran, du störst jeden Mensch, die das Forum lesen

Gebrauch "ich woellte" nicht "ich will"

[yes i know my german is rusty]
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Did we not go through this once already?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,13213.0.html

Download Bright, Free Terran.  It will solve your problem quite nicely, I think.  CptWhite gave you the link in the thread I have posted here for you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 04:25:26 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I was just going to suggest Bright.

In PSP, use Palette: Optimized Octree/Reduction Method: Nearest Color.  That is a very good way to do it...its not perfect, but its very good.  Photoshop does one better and Bright does one better than that.

I'm not even sure if any current day game is using a full 16.7 million colors for any of their artwork.  Someone want to confirm that for me?  I think people still use 256 as often as possible...its much more efficient.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Most textures don't have enough variety in the color scheme to make 16 bit useful. Just convert it with one of the decent programs already mentioned.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Inquisitor

We've also talked about PNG support, which Komet and I discussed briefly earlier...

It's a big maybe.
No signature.