Author Topic: Death to frames!  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
How the **** do you get a frame to go away when linking to another page within your domain? This one's pissing me off mightily, but I don't wanna delete it 'cos that'd be a whole other thing to deal with... there's no info on this anywhere, and until now I've pretty much avoided frames for all the other good reasons to avoid them.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
**** **** **** **** **** **** ****. **** it, cursing isn't nearly such good ****ign stress relief if it gets ****ing censored every ****ing time.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I beleve it's something like

{A HREF="something.htm" TARGET="_parent"}
or
{A HREF="something.htm" TARGET="_top"}

{=<
}=>
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 10:58:49 pm by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Hmm... nope, apparently not.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Stryke 9
there's no info on this anywhere
If by "this" you mean frames, then I must inform you that there are gobs of information on this subject all over the internet. There's--

www.authoring.html&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en]comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html[/URL]
alt.html*
IRT.org
W3C - Frames

...and hundreds more if you care to search for them.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
So you want frames on some page but not for them to appear when linking? Then you do this:

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/frames/frames_famsupp_31.html

{a href="targetsite" target="_top"}, has to be lowercase _top.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
go to google, type in frames, html, and (if you havn't found it with that) _top
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Get this solved, Stryke?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
At the moment, no. But at the moment I happen to be a long way away from my computer.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Name the frames. Designate those names as the target in nav-bar links.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
**** **** **** **** **** **** ****. **** it, cursing isn't nearly such good ****ign stress relief if it gets ****ing censored every ****ing time.

yo stryke you better watch your tounge, you know well that its against the rules to curse. Its ok to to use the F word from time to time, but you are overdoing it and it rubbes it of to other members. So stop it know or else...
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline Fetty

what if he was just writin g ? *'s ?
im mean what the ** is ** with ********
<= only writing *'s instead of letters :D

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Windrunner: I'll stop when they take off the ****ing autocensor and not a moment before. I'm pissed.

Besides, I'd like to see "*" rub off on forumites.:rolleyes:

Fetty: Nope. Well, one, because I couldn't think of a proper curse to fit in that space.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 07:50:25 pm by 262 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Windrunner: I'll stop when they take off the ****ing autocensor and not a moment before. I'm pissed.

You can be pissed all you want, but there are guidelines 'round here. Or was Stealth not enough of an example?

Anyway, on the frame topic.... bring it back up when you are close to your computer.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Hmmm... Ya know, I had it right all along, I was just uploading the frameset instead of the page.

Dammit, I ain't NEVER gonna get used to frames!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hmmm... Ya know, I had it right all along, I was just uploading the frameset instead of the page.

Dammit, I ain't NEVER gonna get used to frames!

Do the world a favor and don't. I used to like frames as well, but I've come to the conclusion that the instances where frames should be used as about as common as the numbers of books you run into that have the table of contents printed out on a seperate page so you can reference it easily while reading. :rolleyes:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Never seen that.

Anyway, I don't think there's any danger of my liking frames, either. They suck. particularly to code, and I'm increasingly not sure why I did this one in the first place. Ah hell, still easier to fix it than do the whole thing over again.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Never seen that.

Anyway, I don't think there's any danger of my liking frames, either. They suck. particularly to code, and I'm increasingly not sure why I did this one in the first place. Ah hell, still easier to fix it than do the whole thing over again.

Well, no - frames can be very effective in a few areas - main one is obviously keeping the site nav in view - a point of worry only on sites that tend to have numerous loooong pages (articles). Other sites just whimp out and use multiple pages for a single article... which is ok, too. :p

For an example of the use of frames with long articles, click on the hamburger of my avatar, and go to Freespace 2 > Notes > The Complete FS2 Ship List v1.2h.

The main problem with frames, though, is that you can't really link directly to a page on the site without losing the navigation - not without semi-complex java-script stuff.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Or just scroll back up. If you're using the navbar, you're obviously done reading and don't need to hold your place.

Besides, it's an exercise of that fun mousewheel, assuming you have the kinda mouse with lots of useless features.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Or just scroll back up. If you're using the navbar, you're obviously done reading and don't need to hold your place.

Besides, it's an exercise of that fun mousewheel, assuming you have the kinda mouse with lots of useless features.

Or just hit the "home" key, yes, I know. But people can't be bothered to learn new stuff, and providing navigation controls regardless of how far you've scrolled is handy - in moderation. It's certainly a heck of a lot better than those DHTML/Javascripted floating menu systems that zoom down to wherever you've scrolled after a slight delay! :rolleyes: