Author Topic: Need someone to help w/Subobjects :)  (Read 3347 times)

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Need someone to help w/Subobjects :)
Ah well, I've finally given up... I've tried doing what every one says, and my sub-objects still don't work, so...
 I would like a hand please  
 I need someone who can open a ship in .3ds format (although that Isn't actually essential) and just glue on all the turrets and sub-objects of ships, then send it back to me for conversion to .pof .
 I can do the rest, it's just this bit. So if anyone could help me, we would all (all 3 of us working on the mod) be very grateful  
  Thanx
 Oh, and for a clue what I'm talking about, check out the bottom of the sig  

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw... project coordinater of Alternate Reality and Story-line help-guy of The Perfect Storm.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline The Claw

Ok, I've realised that this has got the wrong title (ppl will think I'm still tryin to bug em about how to do it again) and it's in the wrong bloody forum!
 In my own defence, I was very tired and Ill  
 Ps: Still need help tho!  

------------------
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw... project coordinater of Alternate Reality and Story-line help-guy of The Perfect Storm.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
what exactly are you doing so that we know what's not working?

Higharchy should look like:

Ship
turret01
---turret
---light
turret02
---turret
---base
-----barrel
-----light

for single part and multiparts

Also make sure in FSMM (or the new MV32 which makes subobjects ALOT easier) that you change the properties of the turret and add:
$special=subsystem
$fov=whatever
$name=what you want shown in HUD

Also make sure the normal vertex is set up with so that it's firing point faces correctly

up/down = y +1/-1
left/right = x +1/-1
front/back = z +1/-1

------------------
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon
Ghosts of the Past Forum
Ghosts of the Past WebSite
To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...
I'm still a little confused. This is what I understand to be the right process for turrets/subobjects.
1. generate the subobject
2. glue an infinate light as slibling to the turret
3. glue the turret/light combination as child to the hull

It seems simple enough, but when I load it up in POF form I have an extra set of nameless subobjects which i'm guessing correspond to the lights, since there's one extra nameless subobject for each turret. Am I using the right light? Am I missing a step here?
If it aint broke, break it!

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
*points up*

As I said
It should have a heiarky (screw spelling it's 2am) as such

Turret01 (yes THIS is how to name the finaly subobject of a turret)
|
|
....turret mesh )names anything)
|
....Local light clued as sibling

Multipart turrets as I understand require a different approach as I stated above.

Also...ALOT of help...Fred 2 here:
 http://vbb.volition-inc.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000372.html

This has some hella-good info on turrets and thrusters  

------------------
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron
CO

Ghosts of the Past Forum
Ghosts of the Past WebSite

Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Wait, there's a thing on the vbb that makes me... mh: Do I glue the light/barrel as child of the turet basis, or the basis as child of the barrel/light?

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...

Originally posted by Warlock:
*points up*

http://vbb.volition-inc.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000372.html

This has some hella-good info on turrets and thrusters  

A-1 SUPAR. Thanks a lot, this is good stuff

Offline The Claw

It isn't actually that that's causing my problems, although in hindsight, I havn't got that sorted either. It's the sub-object radius that's the prob, leasing to massive turrets etc. I know it has to do with the lining up of the lights, but I've lined everything up and it still doesn't work... In fact, I've followed the advice of the many helpful people who hae told me before, and it still refuses to work...
 Which is why I need someone to do it for me  

------------------

Originally posted by The Claw:
...It's the sub-object radius that's the prob, leasing to massive turrets etc. I know it has to do with the lining up of the lights, but I've lined everything up and it still doesn't work... In fact, I've followed the advice of the many helpful people who hae told me before, and it still refuses to work...
 Which is why I need someone to do it for me  

Check the position of axes, I think it's the problem.

Offline The Claw

Ok, I have been told that before. And I have attempted to check the axis... I came across the problem I do not know what the hell every one is going on about.
 I realise that I am being completly useless here, in fact about as much use as a condom machine in the vatican, but I can't help it dammit.

------------------

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...

Originally posted by The Claw:
Ok, I have been told that before. And I have attempted to check the axis... I came across the problem I do not know what the hell every one is going on about.

Believe me, I feel your pain. This is something I'm really interested in too, and unfortunately information on exactly how to put a good capship together is scattered and sometimes even contradictory. If nobody else has done it by the time I figure all this stuff out I'll do a capship tutorial of my own, but it would be nice if someone who's done working caps before would at least post some kind of bare bones walkthrough of the process.

Offline The Claw

I think the main thing in the way of people making new ships is Truespace. Cause it's evil.