Author Topic: For CP  (Read 18410 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Razor, shut the **** up. The only reason you even hang out here is because in real life someone would have popped you one right in the mouth well before now.

And, ah, unless Graham's whatever is something pretty basic, you're all thinking waaaay too advanced for me. Remember, I can barely multiply, I don't follow this theory ****.

Ah, what the hell. Apparently, that's the highest known prime number. 2^859433-1. Don't ask me why you couldn't just add 2 to that or something, but I thought it'd be an interesting challenge.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/cyc/g/graham.htm

it's a number so big it can't be written on paper using powers, even with all the ink in the world. argh.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
If I knew you personally, I'd say "I was just about to say that" but in this case it just wouldn't be that funny...
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Here's a description of Graham's Number, from David Well's book Curious and Interesting Numbers

3^^^3 etc etc
Graham's Number
The World Champion Largets Number, listed in the latest Guinness Book of Records, is an upperbound, derived by R.L. Graham, from a problem in a part of combinatorics called Ramsey theory.
Graham's number cannot be expressed using the conventional notation of powers, and powers of powers. If all the material in the Universe were turned into pen and ink it would not be enough to write the number down.

I'd give you the rest, but there's a hell of a lot to type up.

EDIT: OOps, I see Kamikaze has already posted this description. Oh well.

Offline Razor

Razor, shut the **** up. The only reason you even hang out here is because in real life someone would have popped you one right in the mouth well before now.

Yup! :) He's pissed....real pissed. Hm...you know you really need to learn to control that temper. And oh...about me hanging around here...you have a problem with that?

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by Razor

And oh...about me hanging around here...you have a problem with that?

Must..resist..urge..to...post..
:D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I shortened the first post for the database's sanity's sake - the number ain't prime any more, that's for sure - it ends with 2.... ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
oh, it's one of the mersenne 2n-1 primes; if you had written it in that form I would have probably recognized it. :p But that one is not the largest prime; there are quite a few known that are bigger. The biggest one I know of is 213466917-1, which was found in 2001 and has 4053946 digits.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 12:36:47 pm by 296 »

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Stryke 9

So how come, when I went through that brief period of bashing Razor inthe hope he might bugger off, you accused me of 'being a dick' to him? In all seriousness, about a week after Shrike told me to leave Razor alone, you lot all jumped on him.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Hmm...  I read this thing about parallel universes on Scientific American the other day and they say that 10^10^23 meters from here and you would get a parallel universe.  Interesting...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Originally posted by Rampage
Hmm...  I read this thing about parallel universes on Scientific American the other day and they say that 10^10^23 meters from here and you would get a parallel universe.  Interesting...

I read that too:yes:
but that's like rrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally far away:eek:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline diamondgeezer

What does the Bible have to say about parallel universes, Rampage?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
DG: He wasn't being such a complete arse back then, just sort of one. Go ahead, flame away for all I care.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
What does the Bible have to say about parallel universes, Rampage?

[Turns Thread Topic to Protestantism]

[As Redneck] There t'aint no parallel universe.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by diamondgeezer

So how come, when I went through that brief period of bashing Razor inthe hope he might bugger off, you accused me of 'being a dick' to him? In all seriousness, about a week after Shrike told me to leave Razor alone, you lot all jumped on him.

I never objected. In fact, I was all for it. :)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Rampage
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
A few things to be said about this article:

1)  It is brilliant.  This man is certainly an extremely intelligent physicist.

2) Level I and Level II are based on what is actually a very speculative interpretation of inconclusive data (read carefully the second paragraph of the "What Does Occam Say?" subsection at the end).  This means that they have the possibility of being true, but such talk is unwise at so early a stage: more conclusive evidence is needed before a valid discussion along such lines can even begin.

3) There is a very urgent need to define what exactly the word "real" means in this discussion.  In the case of Level III parallel universes, if we are able to interact with another of them, then that other is actually not "other" at all, but part of this actualised possibility.  But to call parallel universes which are totally inaccessible to us "real" is to strip the word of any meaning whatsoever in this context.  Level III universes cannot, from our perspective (Tegmark uses the term "frog's persepctive"), be called "real."  They are simply alternate possibilities that might have been and aren't.

4) This leads into the greatest problem in the article: the assumption that we can at any point leave the "frog's persepctive" and gain the "bird's perspective."  Even while doing our pure mathematics, we are still doing them from within the situation of our own particular possibility.  We cannot escape it.  The Level IV discussion, therefore is based on a deeply, deeply flawed assumption and cannot be trusted.

So as I said, this man is a brilliant physicist, and on the bulk of what he has to say I can only read and learn in silence.  I am in no position to correct him on that, and wouldn't presume to (although I will wait for more solid evidence before buying into the idea that the universe is uniformly filled with matter).  But with this usage of the word "real" and the problem of a "bird's perspective" he has wandered out of physics and into philosophical territory, and I must point out the errors.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Razor

Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB

Must..resist..urge..to...post..
:D

Heey no need to resist. Free your mind.

• Koala-monkey
Never! My mind is being constrained by the horrors of the capitalist society, for fear I might speak out against it.:D

Offline diamondgeezer

All your Yorkshire am belong to teh south!

• Koala-monkey